Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank - Annual Fee Waiver / Retention Bonus - All cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Bank - Annual Fee Waiver / Retention Bonus - All cards

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by mrcaptain
For those that got retention recently, what was your membership year spend and how long have you had card?
$12.5k, third renewal.
Old May 13, 2020, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by mrcaptain
For those that got retention recently, what was your membership year spend and how long have you had card?
2019 was $88.7k
2020 so far $153.1k

I use it a good amount for biz spend only for 3x categories. I’ve had this card for more than 2 yrs.
Old May 17, 2020, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Frank Underwood
Received 5k points for retention. Got 10k last year. But better than nothing, which is what they offered last week.
Got 5k pts too tonight. It's 2nd year of membership. Spent ~$8k in 1st membership year. Take it with delight.
Old May 21, 2020, 6:37 pm

My SO called twice to get a retention offer and they offered nothing. Spend was under $2,000 for the last twelve months. The $325 travel credit actually hit when I liquidated all of the points, so we got a nice double dip there. I have the card as well and she can use it via Apple Pay on her phone, so there was really no use keeping it if they were not going to incentivize it.
Old May 21, 2020, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by gmangg
My SO called twice to get a retention offer and they offered nothing. Spend was under $2,000 for the last twelve months. The $325 travel credit actually hit when I liquidated all of the points, so we got a nice double dip there. I have the card as well and she can use it via Apple Pay on her phone, so there was really no use keeping it if they were not going to incentivize it.
There's no point having 2 cards since you can add the cards on Apple pay. That's how my set-up is. My card is on 3 phones.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Altitude Reserve

My annual fee posted, and I just called to see what retention offer they'd give me. Like some others, it was only 5000 points. I asked if there was any alternative offer, and was told no. In previous years, I got 10,000. I'll probably eventually take the 5000 -- because that basically makes the card free -- but it's obviously not a great deal. Has anyone had any success calling back for a BETTER offer?

Last edited by mia; Feb 3, 2021 at 7:43 am
Old Jun 9, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
My annual fee posted, and I just called to see what retention offer they'd give me. Like some others, it was only 5000 points. I asked if there was any alternative offer, and was told no. In previous years, I got 10,000. I'll probably eventually take the 5000 -- because that basically makes the card free -- but it's obviously not a great deal. Has anyone had any success calling back for a BETTER offer?
As a follow-up, I called again and all I could get was the 5000 points. I'm going to take it but, obviously, the card is pretty marginal here given the high fee. But it's still basically "break even" (with the $325 travel reimbursement) and, since I rent a lot of cars, I like the primary car insurance. Also, most businesses now have mobile pay terminals and it's basically a 4.5% card at those places which is hard to beat.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 2:10 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Retention Offer = 10k

Have had the card for a year, minimal usage, annual fee just posted, received 10k retention offer. That's enough for me to keep it another year.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 12:49 pm

Retention Offer = 10K too

Same here. I put about $7K on the card last year (Apple Pay at grocery & CVS). No manufactured spend. Called in to the regular number this morning. Agent discussed using the $325 credit for restaurants thru 12/31 ("thanks but I've got a few cards that do that"). Then he offered to downgrade to the new Go card ("Thanks but I read that the Altitude points weren't transferable and that would strand my points"). Then he said we can give you 10,000 points that will post on your next statement. "Bingo - I'll take it.". Call lasted 5 minutes.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Splittin' Aces
Same here. I put about $7K on the card last year (Apple Pay at grocery & CVS). No manufactured spend. Called in to the regular number this morning. Agent discussed using the $325 credit for restaurants thru 12/31 ("thanks but I've got a few cards that do that"). Then he offered to downgrade to the new Go card ("Thanks but I read that the Altitude points weren't transferable and that would strand my points"). Then he said we can give you 10,000 points that will post on your next statement. "Bingo - I'll take it.". Call

lasted 5 minutes.
Looks like they offering better retention offers. Everyone else were saying 5k
Old Jun 24, 2020, 4:12 pm

Just called into the AR CS line and asked for a retention offer citing COVID making it a tough call.

The rep comes back after a minute and says I can redeem 35K points to cover the fee 🙄 After another 5 minutes of searching, he comes back and says he can't find anything.

Is it even worth HUCA, or should I assume there's just no offers on my account? Spent ~8K in the year of membership, with 2K of it being thinly veiled MS. Otherwise I don't use the card too much other than at Costco (Gold card and Chase Freedom have too much higher marginal value). I'm rather miffed I couldn't even get a 4K offer given all these 10K offers people are getting with similar spend.

I do like the card and want to keep it, but I don't travel too much in general, and in COVID times I can't justify keeping it at that cost.

Last edited by equilibriphile; Jun 24, 2020 at 7:20 pm Reason: More details
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by equilibriphile
Just called into the AR CS line and asked for a retention offer citing COVID making it a tough call.

The rep comes back after a minute and says I can redeem 35K points to cover the fee 🙄 After another 5 minutes of searching, he comes back and says he can't find anything.

Is it even worth HUCA, or should I assume there's just no offers on my account? Spent ~8K in the year of membership, with 2K of it being thinly veiled MS. Otherwise I don't use the card too much other than at Costco (Gold card and Chase Freedom have too much higher marginal value). I'm rather miffed I couldn't even get a 4K offer given all these 10K offers people are getting.
I would call and try again.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
I would call and try again.
Bad rep last time (sounded like a kid who didn't know what he was doing). Called in, took me 4 min start to finish, and got a 10K point retention offer immediately after pitching my case just once. "The only thing I can offer you is 10,000 points." [blinking_guy.gif]

I'm surprised it was so easy for me when the last guy took five minutes and couldn't find anything. There's no way the CS reps are getting different messaging from upstairs, are they?
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:40 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by equilibriphile
I'm surprised it was so easy for me when the last guy took five minutes and couldn't find anything. There's no way the CS reps are getting different messaging from upstairs, are they?
I'm wondering if there is a disincentive to them to use the retention offers? My rep immediately shifted to a frustrated/sad tone once she offered it. Opposite of how retention agents usually are. Maybe they get a bonus for NOT using the offer and you HUCA instead of canceling?
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I'm wondering if there is a disincentive to them to use the retention offers? My rep immediately shifted to a frustrated/sad tone once she offered it. Opposite of how retention agents usually are. Maybe they get a bonus for NOT using the offer and you HUCA instead of canceling?
Normally I'd waive that off, but given that USB doesn't have MSR or anything and just hands you the points, I'd believe it. I feigned surprise and asked this second rep to confirm she'd said 10K points (was surprised I went from 0 to 10K), and she said "Yes, that's $100." rather curtly.

Idk. I'm keeping the card happily, so they got what they want, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.