Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank - Annual Fee Waiver / Retention Bonus - All cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Bank - Annual Fee Waiver / Retention Bonus - All cards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Altitude Reserve, 10k offer

Altitude Reserve - apparently last year I forgot to call for retention. The year before, got a 10k offer.

This year, a very pleasant rep offered a downgrade to Connect or Cash Plus, or 10k with any spend. Took the 10k offer.

Minimal spend aside from probably $1000 of mobile wallet this year. Called a few weeks after annual fee posted.
tbm13 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:45 am

Did those of you who got the Altitude Reserve retention bonus have to say that you wanted to cancel the card (and maybe transferred to another rep)? I just asked if they had any bonus offers and just got the speech about how I can use my points to pay for the fee, and I was wondering whether that's a "no" or if I need to say "I want to cancel."
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by rexparte
Did those of you who got the Altitude Reserve retention bonus have to say that you wanted to cancel the card (and maybe transferred to another rep)? I just asked if they had any bonus offers and just got the speech about how I can use my points to pay for the fee, and I was wondering whether that's a "no" or if I need to say "I want to cancel."

I straight up don't beat around the bush with them and tell them I'm seeking a retention offer to keep this card open another year. They usually come back pretty quick with what they can offer
tbm13 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:41 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rexparte
Did those of you who got the Altitude Reserve retention bonus have to say that you wanted to cancel the card (and maybe transferred to another rep)?
For the AR specifically, both offers I've received were from the front line rep. I just say I am THINKING of canceling and ask if they have any offers or incentives. Based on my last call, I think these offers might actually be labeled as "retention offers" in their computer. So I don't think it hurts, after the initial conversation kicks off, to directly say you are open to a retention offer.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Altitude Reserve

Called in to cancel. The rep said the effective $75 annual fee ($400 af minus the $325 travel/dining credit) is what it is, if it doesnt work for you then he can totally understand. Then I pressed him by asking is there any one time offer of bonus points on my account. He then went and looked at offers on my account and came back with 5000 points.

Last edited by mia; Aug 11, 2022 at 3:08 pm Reason: Add Title for context
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by qisu
Called in to cancel. The rep said the effective $75 annual fee ($400 af minus the $325 travel/dining credit) is what it is, if it doesnt work for you then he can totally understand. Then I pressed him by asking is there any one time offer of bonus points on my account. He then went and looked at offers on my account and came back with 5000 points.
I've seen people get 10k points but the 5k points still covers the annual fee
Old Sep 2, 2022, 10:06 am

My annual fee on my Altitude Reserve just posted. I called in expecting to get offered at least 5K, but was only offered a measly 1K points. Told the rep I'd have to think about that since the value was so low. As usual, they try to promote the card benefits. I asked for more but he said that's all he could offer. I figure I'll hang up and call again.

I've spent 26.5K on the card this cardmember year. (99% in 3x categories)

Has anyone else gotten offered a low retention offer like 1K, then called back and gotten a better offer? 5K is fine with me as it would make this a net 0 fee with the $325 travel/dining credit....

Any input is appreciated. TIA
Old Sep 2, 2022, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by samwathegreat
My annual fee on my Altitude Reserve just posted. I called in expecting to get offered at least 5K, but was only offered a measly 1K points. Told the rep I'd have to think about that since the value was so low. As usual, they try to promote the card benefits. I asked for more but he said that's all he could offer. I figure I'll hang up and call again.

I've spent 26.5K on the card this cardmember year. (99% in 3x categories)

Has anyone else gotten offered a low retention offer like 1K, then called back and gotten a better offer? 5K is fine with me as it would make this a net 0 fee with the $325 travel/dining credit....

Any input is appreciated. TIA
I've been following this thread for a while, and I've noticed a trend that the more you spend on the card over the year, the lower the retention deal is.

It makes sense, as if you're spending $26k over the year, they probably assume that you're happy with the card, and not likely to actually cancel it.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 6:43 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
I got the card last year, annual fee posted a week ago, called in and was offered 10k points with a purchase. I think about $16k spend in total, majority would be travel, expenses to hit sign up bonus, and then mobile wallet.

​​​​​​
Old Sep 16, 2022, 9:33 am

I called in 2 times. The first time the guy didn't sound like he wanted to be working and when I first asked he straight up said "We don't offer retention bonuses." I quickly got off the phone with him as he didn't seem helpful even when I pushed for more to check for offers on account. The second rep was very quick to check for me and gave me 3 options. 1) Lower APR 2) 10,000 points 3) product change. I took the 10,000 points. This is for the US Bank Altitude Reserve.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by mrcaptain
I called in 2 times. The first time the guy didn't sound like he wanted to be working and when I first asked he straight up said "We don't offer retention bonuses." I quickly got off the phone with him as he didn't seem helpful even when I pushed for more to check for offers on account. The second rep was very quick to check for me and gave me 3 options. 1) Lower APR 2) 10,000 points 3) product change. I took the 10,000 points. This is for the US Bank Altitude Reserve.

Nice. How long you had card and what's your spend on it
Old Sep 16, 2022, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by trikotret

Nice. How long you had card and what's your spend on it
This is my third year having this card. First renewal offered 10K (spent about $10K), Second renewal offered 5K (spent about $6K), this renewal offered 10K (spent about $5K). If they don't offer you anything call back and try again. Not sure why some reps don't even want to check for you or straight up tell you no.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:28 am

Altitude Reserve

Called in, saying I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it. She offered 10K "and possibly more". Ended up being 15K. I've gotten 10K every year since card was introduced. 100% 3x category spend of maybe 5k.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Slytherin23
Called in, saying I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it. She offered 10K "and possibly more". Ended up being 15K. I've gotten 10K every year since card was introduced. 100% 3x category spend of maybe 5k.
Did she just automatically give you the 5k more or only offered when you were hesitant to accept?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 11:10 am

It just sounded like she could see 10K right away and she was going to play some game with the system to see if it would go up. I was fine with 10K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.