New passport, covid certificate

Old May 6, 2023, 3:35 am
Original Poster

New passport, covid certificate

Is it possible to travel with a vaccination certificate which is tied to my old passport, if I bring it along my new passport. I'm not sure I am able to change the passport details on the vaccination certificate. I'm travelling from Sweden to Nepal in a couple of weeks and I'm sure the vaccination proof will be checked at the port of departure as well as the destination.
Old May 6, 2023, 3:56 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I've known of tests that are tied to passport numbers, but not vaccinations. I'm struggling to conceive of why any country would need to do this, or indeed the country requiring the certificate would care. Where were you vaccinated, out of interest?

In the case of Nepal, it requires evidence of full vaccination. Your vaccination certificate must surely provide that, and the airline will be looking for that when you travel, not your passport number.
Old May 6, 2023, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I've known of tests that are tied to passport numbers, but not vaccinations. I'm struggling to conceive of why any country would need to do this, or indeed the country requiring the certificate would care. Where were you vaccinated, out of interest?

In the case of Nepal, it requires evidence of full vaccination. Your vaccination certificate must surely provide that, and the airline will be looking for that when you travel, not your passport number.
I had it in India and on the travel certificate, besides my full name, is the passport number (which is the old one). The airline will look at the certificate and I'm sure they not only check it against my full name but passport number as well. So that's why I'm asking what other people's experiences has been as I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation.
Old May 6, 2023, 11:36 am
Community Director

I can't say with authority that India is the only country that ties vaccination record to passport, but it's certainly going to be an outlier. I don't think we have any other reports of this happening, so I suspect actual experience is going to be limited.

I'm also not clear what exactly an Indian "travel certificate" is compared to what most of us would expect to see on a vaccination record, so you may need to expand on that to get better advice.

I would still only expect a check-in agent to be interested in your name and the vaccination record, not the tie-up with the passport, but I agree it would be sensible to carry both.

You do have another option of producing the result of a PCR test within 72 hours of your first flight if you want a back-up. This potentially also subjects you to a LFT test on arrival.
Traveller121 likes this.
Old May 6, 2023, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
You should definitely bring your old passport with you, if you are travelling on a brand new passport. They almost did not let me enter China once until I produced my old passport as well, that luckily I happened to have with me. I think they were concerned about counterfeits when you have a brand new unstamped passport. So, bring the old one with you just in case.
Old May 8, 2023, 8:33 pm

This is what is concerning me as well. My COViD Vax card from the CDC does not have my middle initial, but my Passport does. I got my Vax extremely early in the process. Will this affect me in going to the Philippines this summer. My Passport was the last one I used when I went over there in 2018. Some advice would be helpful, as I am getting a lot of mixed signals about this. Thanks in advance.
Old May 10, 2023, 7:51 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by stingray11214
This is what is concerning me as well. My COViD Vax card from the CDC does not have my middle initial, but my Passport does. I got my Vax extremely early in the process. Will this affect me in going to the Philippines this summer. My Passport was the last one I used when I went over there in 2018. Some advice would be helpful, as I am getting a lot of mixed signals about this. Thanks in advance.
There are many different ways of spelling names compared to what your passport says. If you're Spanish, you may well have two surnames on many documents, but only one of those will be on your passport. There are countless examples of other countries with bigger differences than this. No-one in the aviation world gives a jot about a middle name, or a slight mis-spelling.

Frankly, if a CDC card - one of the least secure methods of providing proof of vaccination compared to the apps used by European countries that draw data live - is considered acceptable, then that should be a good enough signal as to just how much scrutiny anyone will give this.

I have travelled to a reasonably large number of countries with just my Christian name and surname on documents and boarding passes. My passport, obviously, also has my middle name. I've not ever had an issue, pre-, during or post-Covid.

I can near guarantee the check-in staff won't bat an eyelid.
Rare and stingray11214 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.