Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

How Much Do You Personally Feel COVID Affects Your Travel in 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2023, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Yo, it's been two years since COVID hit the travel industry hard. But with vaccines rolling out and travel restrictions easing up, we're starting to wonder: how much longer do we have to worry about this thing ruining our vacays? So, what's your take? How much do you feel COVID is still impacting your travel plans in 2023? Are you still hesitant to book trips or are you ready to hit the road (or the skies) with the proper precautions in place?
Old Mar 7, 2023, 3:14 pm

Only after effect at this point for me is higher airfares and poorly staffed airports/endless labor issues. Unfortunately, I do not see either of those concerns being resolved at any point in the foreseeable future. Hopefully the reopening of China will eventually cause TPAC airfares to go back down, and increased travel options across the board will result in lower TATL airfares.

Every single person who survived COVID is now three years closer to death than they were when it all went haywire, and for many of us, those three years should have been in the prime of our lives. Most of us are willing to live with the risks and want to make the most of whatever time we have left. For those still cowering in fear, what else do you honestly expect to happen? It has become endemic and just about all of us have been exposed to it multiple times by now. Those with an immune system incapable of fighting it off are mostly dead now. It is time for the rest of us to live out the rest of our lives. It is just one of many illnesses floating around that will kill us off when our body starts to fail us, for whatever reason. I do fear for when the next truly deadly pandemic emerges, as there will be very little collective will to counter and fight it. Fortunately, many of us will probably be dead by then, as these things tend to be few and far between.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by wyatth707
Yo, it's been two years since COVID hit the travel industry hard. But with vaccines rolling out and travel restrictions easing up, we're starting to wonder: how much longer do we have to worry about this thing ruining our vacays? So, what's your take? How much do you feel COVID is still impacting your travel plans in 2023? Are you still hesitant to book trips or are you ready to hit the road (or the skies) with the proper precautions in place?
to be honest, 2023 is going to be a normal year for me minus that airfare is so much more expensive. I travelled a bit during 2021 and the price comparison is day and night.
84fiero, LETTERBOY and Marschel like this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
This post reads like it was written a year ago.

It’s been three years, not two.
Vaccines were rolled out years ago.
Travel restrictions started to be eased… last year or earlier depending on location.
Travel has been booming for months at least.

What ‘precautions’ did you have in mind? For me: not only do I not take precautions, I resist them.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
The only way it affects me is I actively avoid places with restrictions
Old Mar 7, 2023, 8:41 pm

I mean I wear a mask when on planes now. Does that count?
renila, aztimm, dorisrpas and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 8:47 pm

Until the CDC gets rid of the 5-day quarantine, it makes travel extremely difficult. Pay a bunch of higher prices and get trapped somewhere because you can't fly back until the 5 days pass (at a min).
Judyharan likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 5:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I never stopped traveling. I just took the required covid tests to enter certain countries. However even right now there's still cruise ships that require vaccines and testing so i still can't go on a cruise. I'm hoping those restrictions change soon so i can cruise before this winter. But, i still wear tight fitting masks regardless.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The only changes to my travel are avoiding those places and carriers that still have restrictions. Otherwise COVID will not affect my travel whatsoever in 2023. I am fully vaccinated and then some so will not be taking any precautions beyond what is required by law.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 6:00 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by tai4de2
This post reads like it was written a year ago.

It’s been three years, not two.
Vaccines were rolled out years ago.
Travel restrictions started to be eased… last year or earlier depending on location.
Travel has been booming for months at least.

What ‘precautions’ did you have in mind? For me: not only do I not take precautions, I resist them.
Same with me!

It didn't even really affect my travels in 2022 other than a trip early in the year where masks on planes were required one some legs (although loosely enforced mostly).
ksucats and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
Not much, if any at all. Personally 2023 will be a record travel year for me.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:57 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Zero, have not let it affect me ever since travel re-opened in 2021. Keep informed and go with the flow.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 2:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Zero. Back to normal and it is good that way. Finally.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:15 pm

Not much for me, except I am avoiding airlines that have a mask mandate. No way in hell am I wearing a face mask for 16-18 hours on a plane. It is time for the world to grow up.
ksucats, hurnik, LETTERBOY and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL PM
I take a jab every 6 months, so much that they're running out of space on my CDC card. Also N95 and face shield the entire time, and a little more judgy on people who don't wear masks.

Just kidding. COVID hasn't affected my travel patterns since last year.

I guess you can maybe connect the dots that the high fares in Asia can ultimately be traced back to covid, and thus I haven't returned to Asia since Jan 2020, so there's that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.