Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paxlovid to bring on trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2022, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I just carry a few Imodium and acetaminophen/paracetamol pills with me when I travel, which are the very basics and do not take much space. And a couple of Covid home tests.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 7:41 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've gone off the idea of Paxlovid. I have 4 vaccinations. A friend is also vaccinated and got Covid. She immediately got Paxlovid and we were both thrilled. The Paxlovid made her very ill and on the third day she stopped taking it. She had an elderly friend who got ill at the same time. Same story. The Paxlovid made her more ill than Covid. I'm not a medical professional and all I know are these two stories.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 9:49 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've gone off the idea of Paxlovid. I have 4 vaccinations. A friend is also vaccinated and got Covid. She immediately got Paxlovid and we were both thrilled. The Paxlovid made her very ill and on the third day she stopped taking it. She had an elderly friend who got ill at the same time. Same story. The Paxlovid made her more ill than Covid. I'm not a medical professional and all I know are these two stories.
From Yale Medicine:

13 Things To Know About Paxlovid, the Latest COVID-19 Pill
Since Paxlovid is cleared by the kidneys, dose adjustments may be required for patients with mild-to-moderate kidney disease, explains Dr. Topal. “For patients with severe kidney disease—or who are on dialysis—or those with severe liver disease, Paxlovid is not recommended; the levels of the drug can become too high and could cause increased side effects,” he says.

The FDA says that anyone who takes Paxlovid should contact their health provider right away if they have any signs and symptoms of liver problems: loss of appetite, yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes (jaundice), dark-colored urine, pale-colored stools and itchy skin, or stomach-area (abdominal) pain.

It’s worth noting that because Paxlovid is still being monitored in the real world, it is possible that all of the risks are not yet known. (The FDA has provided a fact sheet on Paxlovid with a full list of known side effects.)
And from the FDA Emergency Use Authorization Fact Sheet:
Do not take PAXLOVID if: You are allergic to nirmatrelvir, ritonavir, or any of the ingredients in PAXLOVID.

You are taking any of the following medicines:
​​​​​​​
o alfuzosin
o lomitapide
o ranolazine
o amiodarone
o lovastatin
o rifampin
o apalutamide
o lumacaftor/ivacaftor
o St. John’s Wort
o carbamazepine
o lurasidone (hypericum perforatum)
o colchicine o methylergonovine
o sildenafil (Revatio®) for o dihydroergotamine
o midazolam (oral) pulmonary arterial
o dronedarone
o naloxegol hypertension
o eletriptan
o phenobarbital
o silodosin
o eplerenone
o phenytoin
o simvastatin
o ergotamine
o pimozide
o tolvaptan
o finerenone
o primidone
o triazolam
o flecainide
o propafenone
o ubrogepant
o flibanserin
o quinidine
o voclosporin
o ivabradine

Taking PAXLOVID with these medicines may cause serious or life-threatening side effects or affect how PAXLOVID works.
DaveS likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I've gone off the idea of Paxlovid. I have 4 vaccinations. A friend is also vaccinated and got Covid. She immediately got Paxlovid
Did she have (serious) symptoms BEFORE starting the cure? Or did she start just because of a positive test?

For vaccinated persons covid these days is mostly an unpleasant few days, if that. Alleviate the symptoms and go to a hospital, if serious symptoms emerge.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 12:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, it is very much the case that given where we are now with Omicron and related variants, it's a balance. Paxlovid and the alternatives come with potential side effects - nausea and diarrhea specifically - and that's one of the various aspects to the balance. Hence it's really a good idea to have an informed conversation with a clinician on whether to have this medication or not. In most cases - in a decent sized population - it's a "not". But some people remain at high risk from the virus and so there is an argument for accepting potential side effects, which while unpleasant are not going to be fatal.
SanDiego1K, bpe and DaveS like this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:22 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, it is very much the case that given where we are now with Omicron and related variants, it's a balance. Paxlovid and the alternatives come with potential side effects - nausea and diarrhea specifically - and that's one of the various aspects to the balance. Hence it's really a good idea to have an informed conversation with a clinician on whether to have this medication or not. In most cases - in a decent sized population - it's a "not". But some people remain at high risk from the virus and so there is an argument for accepting potential side effects, which while unpleasant are not going to be fatal.
The side effects and potentially severe interactions with other drugs is precisely why it is prescription only in most countries. If you are in a high risk category, ask your doctor either beforehand or when you think you need it. But keeping some "just to have" seems unnecessary or even dangerous for most people.

When I travel I just have some tylenol and sudafed or similar/generic versions, the latter specifically because nasal congestion on flights can get extremely painful. Anything else I'd just get at my destination if I need to.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 4:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nk15
I just carry a few Imodium and acetaminophen/paracetamol pills with me when I travel, which are the very basics and do not take much space. And a couple of Covid home tests.
The easy to access OTC stuff I never carry on trips. Covid test kits I no longer carry for trips. Paxlovid is also not something I would take along despite it being effective for vaccinated persons to reduce the chances of landing in a hospital for Covid-19:

Originally Posted by Mass General
Paxlovid Effective in Reducing COVID-19 Hospitalization Among Vaccinated Adults 50 and Over
https://www.massgeneralbrigham.org/e...ospitalization

I used to carry Cipro at times, but I have mostly shelved that too.

As long as flights, borders and supply chains are what they are nowadays, “just in time” buying is more my thing than “just in case” carrying.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The easy to access OTC stuff I never carry on trips..
I prefer to have Imodium and Tylenol with me, because sometimes you maybe in a somewhat remote area with no vehicle, and I'd rather not be searching for meds in case I get diarrhea, fever, Covid, or a toothache in the middle of the night...I just have 4-6 Imodium and 4-6 Tylenol Extra permanently in my travel bag. Not that it really matters anyway, I almost never use them...rarely an Imodium...
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 6:53 pm

Out of the US, I carry hydrocodone in case of bad tooth problems, Zofran and DiaRescue (Amazon) for bad food issues, Sudafed, Tylenol, Advil and now COVID tests. A few big bandages and vet wrap. One of us always has an issue with something it seems. My husband has seen dentists in almost every continent.

Last edited by Judyharan; May 6, 2023 at 3:01 am
Old Dec 22, 2022, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Judyharan
Out of the US, I carry hydrocodone
There are places where you could end up in jail if customs finds it (or any opioid based stuff) - think Singapore, Japan...
the810, nk15 and northinsouth like this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
There are places where you could end up in jail if customs finds it (or any opioid based stuff) - think Singapore, Japan...
And these are just your average countries and scenarios...
Old Dec 24, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, it is very much the case that given where we are now with Omicron and related variants, it's a balance.
Hey CWS, it is nice to see you here.

It is Christmas time and has been three years since this sh$t hit the fan, but I wanted to have this chance to say Thank You for the invaluable contributions and information you've provided to the audience of this forum.

We are going to reflect and recall more in upcoming years and decades - a lot more is going to get clearer over time and (I hope) we all are going to learn and draw appropriate conclusions from this experience of our generations.

P.S. There was one more gentleman - a virus expert - who was active early in 2020 contributing to in now locked and archived mega thread. Wanted to have a chance to say Thank You to him as well - unfortunately, the last time he posted was like May in 2020.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 11:47 pm

I have one in hand and am ready to take it to Japan .
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:42 am

I know some guys who took the test positive and got Paxlovid. He brought to other country when he was travelling. Keep prescription as edivence.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xksdjiw
I have one in hand and am ready to take it to Japan .
Interestingly Japan just approved their own oral drug for Covid, although it is not clear if visitors could access it...

Japan approves its first homemade oral COVID drug - Nikkei Asia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.