Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is a travel CPAP COVID-safe ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2022, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Is a travel CPAP COVID-safe ?

I know the airlines allow a travel CPAP -- but is it safe for the person using it? I know it's not an N95, but it does have filters. I'm thinking if you have a good seal on your nasal pillow and tape over your mouth, it's probably an acceptable risk. Is there any data (scientific or anecdotal) on this ?
Old Nov 15, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I added a CPAP antiviral filter to the tubing (google it and you'll find many of them for $2-$7 each). I'm no expert, but it did make me feel safer from Covid exposure. You can also google something like "do CPAP antiviral filters protect against Covid" and get technical articles that say "yes" but that are too technical for me to understand.

BTW....my travel CPAP is an HDM Z-2 and there is a setting that you're supposed to set when using an antiviral filter. Check your machines manual. (My home machine, an Airsense 11) also has a similar setting if I remember correctly).
Old Nov 17, 2022, 9:57 am

I thought the risk between Covid and CPAP were risks for the people around the person using the CPAP. Almost all CPAP got some kind of the filter for air inlet. Mine has a hepa filter. It is probably better than a regular facemask. Now the air outlet (usually around the mask area) doesn't have a filter. Some of the masks (full nose and mouth) would stream the outlet air straight up or out in the front. So if the person using the CPAP has covid, the CPAP could help spread out the virus to a bigger area than normally would.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.