Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Coronavirus and travel

Which countries are 'completely back in 2019'?

Old Oct 29, 22, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance

Except for the US and a large chunk of Europe, which counties reverted back to the status quo of 2019 in terms of travel and daily life? Meaning

- No quarantine, tracing/apps, health check, or health declaration, tests and vaccination requirements of any kind
- No masks are required anywhere in public indoors or outdoors (except for healthcare facilities).

Thanks.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 22, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
You could add Trkiye to that list.
Old Oct 29, 22, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Except for the US and a large chunk of Europe, which counties reverted back to the status quo of 2019 in terms of travel and daily life? Meaning

- No quarantine, tracing/apps, health check, or health declaration, tests and vaccination requirements of any kind
- No masks are required anywhere in public indoors or outdoors (except for healthcare facilities).

Thanks.
Well the US is not quite back to the status quo ante.

(visitors still have to prove and attest to vaccination)
Old Oct 29, 22, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA (Silver), WN
Angry Thailand still not back to normal

Just had a video chat with some family members in northern Thailand, and was totally surprised to see them wearing "face masks while outdoors."
Was informed this was mandatory and ordered by the local governmental officials of the province of Nan.
Menko
Old Oct 29, 22, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
You could add Trkiye to that list.
Well, Turkey and neighboring Georgia can be included in the 'most of Europe' list.
Old Oct 30, 22, 3:59 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
The IATA map is a reasonably accurate guide to the entry rules and Kayak is a good resource for restrictions depending on whether you are vaccinated.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php
https://www.kayak.co.uk/travel-restrictions?

It is mixed bag for most regions, though Europe is completely open with relatively few mask type rules other than in health care settings. In Australia there are no entry restrictions. It is recommended (but not compulsory) to wear a mask if you actually have COVID and are using public transport! Ironic that states that were some of the most restrictive have now gone the other way.
Old Oct 30, 22, 11:51 am

Programs: FB Platinum; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Menko View Post
Just had a video chat with some family members in northern Thailand, and was totally surprised to see them wearing "face masks while outdoors."
Was informed this was mandatory and ordered by the local governmental officials of the province of Nan.
Menko
I returned from a business trip to Thailand (Rayong province) on Friday and I can confirm that almost everyone is wearing masks indoors and outdoors. However, I was told by my Thai colleague that mask wearing was no longer mandatory but just strongly recommended. I did wear a mask when I was there due to not wanting to cause offence.
Old Oct 30, 22, 1:28 pm

For a lot of countries to enter it there might be vax requirements (mostly only checked by airline) but as soon as you land everything is fully normal. This will include almost every country in Africa, Mid-East, Central-Asia, Pacific, Carribbean and so on.

This was true even during late 2020 and throughout 2021, with the only possible requirements being done by airline agents or airports but once you leave the airport its all fully normal. I remember being in crowded bazaars and lively streets from Iraq to Senegal to Albania to Uzbekistan to Paraguay to Pakistan to others throughout the omicron/delta waves and it was completely normal as long as you can satisfy the entry requirements. No masks or social distancing or anything once you left the airport.

So find a way to satisfy the border requirements and then enjoy your time domestically throughout the world (except eastern-asia)
Old Oct 30, 22, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
For a lot of countries to enter it there might be vax requirements (mostly only checked by airline) but as soon as you land everything is fully normal. This will include almost every country in Africa, Mid-East, Central-Asia, Pacific, Carribbean and so on.

This was true even during late 2020 and throughout 2021, with the only possible requirements being done by airline agents or airports but once you leave the airport its all fully normal. I remember being in crowded bazaars and lively streets from Iraq to Senegal to Albania to Uzbekistan to Paraguay to Pakistan to others throughout the omicron/delta waves and it was completely normal as long as you can satisfy the entry requirements. No masks or social distancing or anything once you left the airport.

So find a way to satisfy the border requirements and then enjoy your time domestically throughout the world (except eastern-asia)
But those "possible requirements done by airline agents" was the main problem during 2020-2021. For most those years, you couldn't even enter some countries solely based on your nationality. And then the hassle and anxiety of getting a negative COVID test flying to, and then another one flying back. And then you're at the mercy of clueless airport personnel who probably doesn't know that a J+J is only one shot, or that there's a time difference between Dubai and New York and thus you were within the 48 hour window for the PCR results. And of course, "No masks" is untrue until spring 2022. Many countries had, and still have, indoor/public transportation mask requirements.
I will agree that social distancing has gone the way of the dodo, but absolutely nothing about the rest of what I mentioned is "fully normal."
Menko and bbriscoe34 like this.
Old Nov 7, 22, 12:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
When will Asia ever get back to 2019???
Old Nov 7, 22, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34 View Post
Including China? Probably never.
Old Nov 7, 22, 3:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34 View Post
Considering the Japanese government cant even get them to take masks off outside it may be a while. Societal pressure is too much right now.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 11, 22, 2:11 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Botswana as of Sept 29 dropped all Covid travel mandates. No testing, no vaccine required, and no masks.

South Africa has also dropped all Covid restrictions. They are both back to 2019.
FlyerEC, LETTERBOY, the810 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 22, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
Botswana as of Sept 29 dropped all Covid travel mandates. No testing, no vaccine required, and no masks.

South Africa has also dropped all Covid restrictions. They are both back to 2019.
This is good to know. I'm heading down to South Africa for a long awaited first trip in January. Are all restrictions gone? I don't mind wearing a mask to go into a restaurant or in the lift at the hotel but I'm not too keen on wearing one to walk around the beach area in 30 degrees.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Search this Thread