Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asia travel update

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2023, 5:14 pm

Last month I flew from USA to India and back. My vaccination card and mask never saw the light of day. I thought that I’d need to show my vaccination card somewhere but didn’t have to at all
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:23 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
The different rules for passengers travelling to England from mainland China will end 23:59 BST, 4 April 2023.

If your flight will arrive in England after this time, you will not need to show notification of a negative test to your airline before you travel. If you are travelling close to the date of the change, check whether your airline will expect you to have a negative test.

From 17 March 2023, passengers aged 18 or over travelling from mainland China and arriving at Heathrow Airport will no longer be invited to take a voluntary test on arrival.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-t...update-history
Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:13 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I have flights to Japan this week (first time in three and a half years) and Swiss sent me an email asking for documents upload. I had already completed Visit Japan Web and uploaded 3 vaccination certificates but the airline was asking for 4! I knew I only needed 3 but uploaded 4 and they were accepted almost immediately.

Many Japanese hotels and restaurants have notices on their websites about what they are doing to minimise the spread of Covid. It’s almost like going back at least one year compared to most of the rest of the world.

Although the number of overseas visitors to Japan are increasing the number of Japanese travellers going abroad is not increasing as quickly.

Horizons have shrunk’: Japanese tourists reluctant to venture abroad over Covid fears (FT)
Old Apr 6, 2023, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS
Hong Kong is dropping the mask mandate from tomorrow (1st March).
Does that include traveling via Cathay Pacific? And, speaking of China, Has EVA dropped the mask mandate? Or, do they still require it?
Old Apr 7, 2023, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by stingray11214
Does that include traveling via Cathay Pacific? And, speaking of China, Has EVA dropped the mask mandate? Or, do they still require it?
I am afraid I know no more than is in the UK FCDO link I posted.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by stingray11214
CX has dropped it, but, as far as I know, EVA still requires it, unless it’s been rescinded the last couple of weeks.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Visconti
CX has dropped it, but, as far as I know, EVA still requires it, unless it’s been rescinded the last couple of weeks.
I don’t believe it has because Taiwan still requires it on transport.

edit: will be dropped on April 17th according to articles that came out a few hours ago
Old Apr 8, 2023, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by sfgiants13
I don’t believe it has because Taiwan still requires it on transport.

edit: will be dropped on April 17th according to articles that came out a few hours ago
If that is the case, EVA just came back on the table. However, CX has lost their minds with their pricing. $12K for Premium Economy from JFK-MNL? Really?
Buh-bye, CX. Swore by you all these years, even when you screwed us during the Xiamen Air fiasco at NAIA in 2018. Made me fly Steerage on an American Airlines
flight out of LAX, which felt, and looked like, San Quentin. The plane seats felt like the ones I sat in pre-school. Could not wait to get off that plane. I will miss HKG, though.
Put DragonPass to good use there. Plaza took good care of us.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I have flights to Japan this week (first time in three and a half years) and Swiss sent me an email asking for documents upload. I had already completed Visit Japan Web and uploaded 3 vaccination certificates but the airline was asking for 4! I knew I only needed 3 but uploaded 4 and they were accepted almost immediately.

Many Japanese hotels and restaurants have notices on their websites about what they are doing to minimise the spread of Covid. It’s almost like going back at least one year compared to most of the rest of the world.

Although the number of overseas visitors to Japan are increasing the number of Japanese travellers going abroad is not increasing as quickly.

Horizons have shrunk’: Japanese tourists reluctant to venture abroad over Covid fears (FT)
over the last 3 weeks, I visited China (mainland), HKG and Japan and, surprisingly, Japan is the country still having the most « restrictions ». Nothing severe but, in my hotel, all restaurants had reduced hours of operations « to limit the spread of novel coronavirus » , restaurants with small dishes coming on a belt were only delivering to the table, etc. Nothing very severe but it was like going 2 years back for me as a European. Everyone is wearing a mask, even if not mandatory, but they remove it easily.
goodgirl likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:12 pm

Airline requirements are impossible: how to avoid denied boarding?

Hello, and I would appreciate some advice.

Tomorrow I plan to travel from Thailand to India. My airline, AirAsia, emailed me saying that I have to complete the online Air Suvidha form and upload a recent PCR result. Of course the portal for this no longer exists and the form is not available online. I would rather not take a test and since I am fully vaccinated this is not required, according to the Indian embassy in Thailand.

In online chat the India eVisa site told me that I do not need to do anything while Singapore airlines said the same, that there are no requirements for me. (Singapore is classified as high risk by India, just like Thailand, but I think that Singapore Airlines is rather more on the ball when it comes to information on regulations.)

Oh: the Indian embassy in Thailand does not answer the telephone nor respond to email enquiries.

So what should I do?
Old Apr 12, 2023, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Voyager2002
Hello, and I would appreciate some advice.

Tomorrow I plan to travel from Thailand to India. My airline, AirAsia, emailed me saying that I have to complete the online Air Suvidha form and upload a recent PCR result. Of course the portal for this no longer exists and the form is not available online. I would rather not take a test and since I am fully vaccinated this is not required, according to the Indian embassy in Thailand.

In online chat the India eVisa site told me that I do not need to do anything while Singapore airlines said the same, that there are no requirements for me. (Singapore is classified as high risk by India, just like Thailand, but I think that Singapore Airlines is rather more on the ball when it comes to information on regulations.)

Oh: the Indian embassy in Thailand does not answer the telephone nor respond to email enquiries.

So what should I do?
It looks like AirAsia have not updated their systems. That is not unusual for an airline. There are indeed no entry restrictions for India according to IATA. I suspect you will not have any issue at check-in, though you could call the AirAsia airport sales office in Thailand. The contact details are here:

https://www.airasia.com/aa/pdf/sales...les-office.pdf
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 20, 2023, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
over the last 3 weeks, I visited China (mainland), HKG and Japan and, surprisingly, Japan is the country still having the most « restrictions ». Nothing severe but, in my hotel, all restaurants had reduced hours of operations « to limit the spread of novel coronavirus » , restaurants with small dishes coming on a belt were only delivering to the table, etc. Nothing very severe but it was like going 2 years back for me as a European. Everyone is wearing a mask, even if not mandatory, but they remove it easily.
Japanese people have been wearing masks forever. It’s not a Covid related trend. I lived in Japan from 2009-2012, they wore masks then as well. It’s just a cultural thing to be kind to others.
Old May 20, 2023, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Gojilla
Japanese people have been wearing masks forever. It’s not a Covid related trend. I lived in Japan from 2009-2012, they wore masks then as well. It’s just a cultural thing to be kind to others.
I am back in Japan (1.5 month after previous trip) and the mask-wearing rate has dropped significantly, even in public transportations. But still a majority of people wearing it.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.