Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Scoot PCR certificate QR code needed - Narita Japan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone. First time posting here and wondering if anyone has had any experience of Scoot insisting on your PCR negative certificate requiring a QR code, specifically in Narita Airport, Japan?

I've read a few horror stories of people not being allowed to board flights around the world due to their certificate not having a QR code.

Thanks
Old Sep 11, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
While I can’t answer your question there are websites that you can use to create a QR code just to be sure.
jack6251 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfgiants13
While I can’t answer your question there are websites that you can use to create a QR code just to be sure.
I appreciate your reply, however many of these websites do not link to a medical database nor online record of a clinic or doctor to evidence beyond reasonable doubt that the certificate is genuine. Many of the online QR code generators simply regenerate a PDF file without highlighting doctor, clinic, hospital or medical data. So with that, I'm not sure an online generated QR code would always be solid if it simply makes a popup PDF that essentially copies whatever you've printed out or have as a PDF.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 5:49 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
The Scoot website says that if you don't have a QR code then you just have to get it checked by staff at the airport. Assuming that the destination doesn't need a QR code of course, although I'm not sure if anywhere does.
jack6251 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpe
The Scoot website says that if you don't have a QR code then you just have to get it checked by staff at the airport. Assuming that the destination doesn't need a QR code of course, although I'm not sure if anywhere does.
Thank you for replying. I couldn't spot the QR thing on the Scoot website myself but, I've read a few horror stories of pedantic airline employee's refusing boarding due to no QR code. It's not as though there are hundreds of cases online but I stumbled on enough to get me worried.

Anyway the main reason of asking was essentially to determine where I would go for my PCR check to fly out of Japan. I've been to a local clinic here in Japan twice and yesterday was my second time. I asked them about a QR code and they don't provide one. Today I was emailed my negative result. Narita Airport have a PCR test center and they do provide a QR code. My thinking was, go to the local clinic, but in light of the QR tales, I'll go to the PCR testers in the airport since they do provide a QR code. I can't take any chances with being refused boarding. I've too much to lose if I can't make it back to England.

It's an international mess...still!

Oh, destination ultimately is England but first connecting in Singapore, then Greece before finally England.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:28 am
bpe

Put in your details here (https://www.flyscoot.com/en/plan/bef...ning-your-trip) for as far as you are flying with Scoot (Athens or Singapore?) and it will tell you what you need.

Fwiw, there's no mention of a QR code on any test certificate at all; they will need to verify it manually no matter what and I've never personally seen a QR code on any test I've taken. (I thought you were talking about a QR code on a vaccination certificate, not a test). And if you aren't going through immigration in Singapore you don't need to worry about their requirements.
jack6251 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your help! I'll check everything out but yes, the stories I found online about boarding refusals were due to a lack of a QR code on PCR negative certificates and yes, it's a rare occurrence and nobody I've spoken to has heard of it either however....it's happened and does happen it seems.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:50 am
bpe

I have not heard or experienced any problems recently with the lack of QR codes on vaccine certificates or tests simply because so many of them simply have no QR code. There were some issues early on when vaccine certificates were new and more restrictions were in place, but I wouldn't worry now or spend more money to get one with a QR code unless it's explicitly required for some reason.

Also, if you are flying a different airline to England, check with that airline since the Scoot website won't know or tell you what you need for that.
jack6251 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpe
I have not heard or experienced any problems recently with the lack of QR codes on vaccine certificates or tests simply because so many of them simply have no QR code. There were some issues early on when vaccine certificates were new and more restrictions were in place, but I wouldn't worry now or spend more money to get one with a QR code unless it's explicitly required for some reason.

Also, if you are flying a different airline to England, check with that airline since the Scoot website won't know or tell you what you need for that.
I'm not taking any chances. These stories are real no matter how old and from around the world. I don't want someone having a bad day determining which way my life will go, left or right on the basis of some damned QR code.

Naritia Airport's PCR testing facility provides a PCR negative test certificate in English with a QR code. That'll be my option prior to flying.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
About half the tests I have taken have QR codes. The UK ones I have taken do not usually have a code. The ones I have taken in Africa and Asia usually do.
jack6251 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveS
About half the tests I have taken have QR codes. The UK ones I have taken do not usually have a code. The ones I have taken in Africa and Asia usually do.
Thanks for replying.

Your tests, were they for pre-flight checks? For example my recent negative PCR result was an email notification, text only and not for flying abroad, so I would never expect a QR code on anything domestic.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 11:58 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by jack6251
Thanks for replying.

Your tests, were they for pre-flight checks? For example my recent negative PCR result was an email notification, text only and not for flying abroad, so I would never expect a QR code on anything domestic.
Yes I mostly have pre-flight tests.
jack6251 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.