Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Countries and Covid restrictions [for mask-exempt traveller]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

We have a round the world trip booked for 2023. Foolish us for thinking this would All be over by then. The issues lie with various mask restrictions. Since one of the people in the group is medically exempt from wearing a mask because of autism. I would like to know if this will be a problem. Can we still go? What is the best way to travel with a mask exemption? We booked with star alliance so are flying in this order
flight 1. JFK-BOG via PTY on CM
flight 2 BOG-GRU via PTY on CM again
flight 3 this was booked separately from the rest GRU-EZE on BA
flight 4 EZE-HEL via FRA on LH
flight 5 HEL-ARN on SK then various trains around Europe before boarding our next flight
flight 6 FRA-SYD via SIN on LH and SQ
flight 7 SYD-AKL on NZ
flight 8 AKL-JFK on NZ.
the country’s we are visiting will be United States, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Poland, Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria, turkey, Australia, Singapore, New Zealand. Not in the order here. So will this be possible if one of the group can’t wear a mask? This trip was originally scheduled for 2020 and 2021 so we really hope the third attempt goes ahead.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:00 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I do not know for all airlines but for
- BA : nothing needed, just say your companion has an exemption
- LH : need a COVID test in a good timing (24h prior to departure I think) + a doctor's note

I forgot to say that the doctor's note must be on a specific form: https://www.lufthansa.com/content/da...0220622-EN.pdf
And that the test must be a PCR (and it is 48 hours prior depature, not 24 hours)
https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/exem...uth-nose-cover

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 18, 2022 at 2:47 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I got the LH form signed by my doctor for a previous flight in 2022 from MUC-BOS. So I know what that is like. Unfortunately CM is very vague in to what is needed. They say who is exempt but don’t say what is required to grant an exemption. Hopefully others on here will know about the other airlines.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 5:27 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
It's not just country policies you should check, but airport-specific ones too. Singapore Airlines says you can get a medical exemption from wearing a mask with a doctor's certificate, while the Changi airport website says that masks are mandatory with no mention of any exemptions while in transit or in the airport. But they or other companies or places might grant exemptions if you email and ask for permission or more information in advance if the information is unclear or missing.

Plus 2023 is still so far in the future (given that restrictions have been changing so fast) that there's a decent chance rules will change between now and then, usually towards less restrictions rather than more.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpe

Plus 2023 is still so far in the future (given that restrictions have been changing so fast) that there's a decent chance rules will change between now and then, usually towards less restrictions rather than more.
You make a good point. I will check this closer to the day of departure.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Irishtraveler
We have a round the world trip booked for 2023. Foolish us for thinking this would All be over by then. The issues lie with various mask restrictions. Since one of the people in the group is medically exempt from wearing a mask because of autism. I would like to know if this will be a problem. Can we still go? What is the best way to travel with a mask exemption? We booked with star alliance so are flying in this order
flight 1. JFK-BOG via PTY on CM
flight 2 BOG-GRU via PTY on CM again
flight 3 this was booked separately from the rest GRU-EZE on BA
flight 4 EZE-HEL via FRA on LH
flight 5 HEL-ARN on SK then various trains around Europe before boarding our next flight
flight 6 FRA-SYD via SIN on LH and SQ
flight 7 SYD-AKL on NZ
flight 8 AKL-JFK on NZ.
the country’s we are visiting will be United States, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Poland, Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria, turkey, Australia, Singapore, New Zealand. Not in the order here. So will this be possible if one of the group can’t wear a mask? This trip was originally scheduled for 2020 and 2021 so we really hope the third attempt goes ahead.
If you're trip is in 2023, it is honestly pointless asking about restrictions now.
ksucats, JBJ2435 and mikeyfly like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.