Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Got my first ever Covid diagnosis after July 4 travel - was no mask mandate to blame?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got my first ever Covid diagnosis after July 4 travel - was no mask mandate to blame?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
How is OP doing with Covid recovery?
Old Jul 30, 2022, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by gaobest
How is OP doing with Covid recovery?
Tested negative about 7/8 days after original positive test. I didn’t do any treatment (paxlovid, antiobodies, etc), just recovered at home. Still had an occasional lingering cough for a while after testing negative, and my cardiovascular strength is still taking time to recover, but good otherwise. Stuff like gym sessions are taking time to get back - headed to the gym in a couple of hours for a spin class, will need to take it easier than I did before. I figure it may take another month for that to get back to normal based on what I hear from other people / pro athletes.
gaobest, psusaver, DaveS and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Tested negative about 7/8 days after original positive test. I didn’t do any treatment (paxlovid, antiobodies, etc), just recovered at home. Still had an occasional lingering cough for a while after testing negative, and my cardiovascular strength is still taking time to recover, but good otherwise. Stuff like gym sessions are taking time to get back - headed to the gym in a couple of hours for a spin class, will need to take it easier than I did before. I figure it may take another month for that to get back to normal based on what I hear from other people / pro athletes.
I'm about 4 weeks post negative test and use a peloton so it's easy to track my cardiovascular strength. The first couple times back I couldn't get through a 30 minute workout without pausing because my heart rate was over my max for too long. That's not an issue anymore put my output is about 10-15% below what it was pre-covid, so I'm still working my way back to normal.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDtoMEM
I'm about 4 weeks post negative test and use a peloton so it's easy to track my cardiovascular strength. The first couple times back I couldn't get through a 30 minute workout without pausing because my heart rate was over my max for too long. That's not an issue anymore put my output is about 10-15% below what it was pre-covid, so I'm still working my way back to normal.
glad you are both recovering nicely from Covid.

gl gl with your workouts :-)
psusaver likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:59 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
FWIW most people still wearing masks seem to be wearing either surgical (which have questionable value these days), or more likely KN95 or N95.

It seems like these masks work well for doctors and nurses treating Covid

And the whole point of masking is that masks are as important in preventing you your I from expelling Covid as opposed to preventing your or I from getting it. Broad masking is source control
No cloth, surgical or N95/P2 mask on the planet is rated to protect you from viral pathogens. They are not airtight, they do not filter down to sufficient size and they do not protect the mucous membranes that you see out of.

It's no coincidence that so many healthcare staff - draped in PPE and thoroughly trained in infection control - succumbed to COVID on the job.

Your cloth/ surgical/ N95 mask won't even protect you from a mild fart, much less a virus. The ONLY masks that will actually protect you (and are specified to do so by the manufacturers - typically filtering around 99.97% of material the size of a virus) are full face respirators (properly fitted and sealed) with a P3 filter cartridge.

Everything less is theatre. Very expensive, very inconvenient, very environmentally damaging theatre - but theatre nonetheless.

BTW if you're paranoid enough to now run out and buy a respirator, the cartridge you want is the 3M A2B2E2K2-P3.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Zero doubt that these disposable masks are the new 6-pack ring for the environment.
the810, MaxVO, LWkitty and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
For background - I have been flying somewhat heavily since February 2021, always being pretty compliant with masking (mask on unless eating or drinking). Wire masks in airports. Obviously at the destination, I would follow local custom (including maskless indoor dining and meeting). Never left NYC during the dark times. Not a homebody at all

I also follows mask recommendations on subways, commuter trains, taxis, etc. basically any public transport I as wearing a mask.

In Summer 2022, there is almost no masking in this situation. The past weekend I took two flights (both in F), took two Amtrak trains, navigated a very busy ATL airport, rode Ubers maskless, etc.

I sit here a few days later with Omicron or whatever. We will see a big surge related to July 4 maskless travel.

I understand you can’t and shouldn’t require masks on the ground in most situations, but doesn’t a mask mandate on all public transportation make sense given it’s the crossroads for the globe and people are carrying all kinds of stuf? I know there was a lot of symbolism regarding the plane and airport masking but i do think some airlines and airports should explore it in a high transmission environment
I flew to India (PIT-EWR-FRA-MAA) on July 16th. I personally wore a mask for all segments. It was mandated on the FRA-MAA segment by Indian aviation rules. I was then in India for over 15 days no symptoms/never felt ill etc. I was going to visit my mother who was nt well so I took extra precautions.

However, on Aug 7 I flew back to US (DEL-HEL-JFK) and then JFK-CLT-PIT to my final destination. Possibly boldened by my previous travel, I didnt mask myself as diligently and I think the HEL-JFK segments as well as lengthy immigration line in JFK I didn't have the mask on much as it was humid and hot. I started having a mild cough symptom during the CLT-PIT flight. I started wearing my mask promptly now (to reduce outward spread if any).. and later that evening I had a fever and a home test positive. Two nights of fevers, loss of taste, cough, fatigue and better by 4th, 5th days now. Airplanes at least direct a flow of air to your from overhead so if you wear a N95 mask it filters your output and you get mostly fresh air from the overhead (in theory).

K95 masks and proper usage can substantially reduce chances of catching respiratory viruses, but still it is a game of probability.

Last edited by psusaver; Aug 12, 2022 at 10:50 am Reason: highlighting a portion
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by psusaver
I flew to India (PIT-EWR-FRA-MAA) on July 16th. I personally wore a mask for all segments. It was mandated on the FRA-MAA segment by Indian aviation rules. I was then in India for over 15 days no symptoms/never felt ill etc. I was going to visit my mother who was nt well so I took extra precautions.

However, on Aug 7 I flew back to US (DEL-HEL-JFK) and then JFK-CLT-PIT to my final destination. Possibly boldened by my previous travel, I didnt mask myself as diligently and I think the HEL-JFK segments as well as lengthy immigration line in JFK I didn't have the mask on much as it was humid and hot. I started having a mild cough symptom during the CLT-PIT flight. I started wearing my mask promptly now (to reduce outward spread if any).. and later that evening I had a fever and a home test positive. Two nights of fevers, loss of taste, cough, fatigue and better by 4th, 5th days now. Airplanes at least direct a flow of air to your from overhead so if you wear a N95 mask it filters your output and you get mostly fresh air from the overhead (in theory).

K95 masks and proper usage can substantially reduce chances of catching respiratory viruses, but still it is a game of probability.
Sounds like you caught the virus in the last 3-5 days of your stay in India. You couldn't have possibly caught it in your HEL-JFK segment.

Took me 4 days for my symptoms to start showing up, and I knew exactly where I got it from.
ksucats and Majuki like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

… I started having a mild cough symptom during the CLT-PIT flight. I started wearing my mask promptly now (to reduce outward spread if any).. and later that evening I had a fever and a home test positive. Two nights of fevers, loss of taste, cough, fatigue and better by 4th, 5th days now. Airplanes at least direct a flow of air to your from overhead so if you wear a N95 mask it filters your output and you get mostly fresh air from the overhead (in theory).

Hope you recovered okay with zero relapse. Did you take Paxlovid?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:41 am

Hope you recovered okay with zero relapse. Did you take Paxlovid?
Thanks. My body temps got to normal on own by Thursday. I did go to physician on Thursday and ended up getting a Paxlovid scrip and started it Fri morning. Been feeling fairly normal since Sat afternoon.
I started taking Paxlovid to potentially avoid long term covid/I also have mild asthma. The "relapse" aspect can be tested only a few days further down the line.

Originally Posted by wooootles
Sounds like you caught the virus in the last 3-5 days of your stay in India. You couldn't have possibly caught it in your HEL-JFK segment.

Took me 4 days for my symptoms to start showing up, and I knew exactly where I got it from.
it has been known to start 2-6 days since exposure in many people so difficult to pinpoint. I did have a 22 hr layover in a mostly empty Helsinki airport.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 18, 2022 at 2:55 pm Reason: Please use multi-quote function
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it has been known to start 2-6 days since exposure in many people so difficult to pinpoint. I did have a 22 hr layover in a mostly empty Helsinki airport.
glad you got paxlovid and are having a decent recovery :-)

just curious how HEL could be so empty! I assumed many are traveling and using Finn Air which would include HEL layover. So nothing to do with Covid and what did you do for 22 hour HEL layover?
psusaver likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:53 am

glad you got paxlovid and are having a decent recovery :-)

just curious how HEL could be so empty! I assumed many are traveling and using Finn Air which would include HEL layover. So nothing to do with Covid and what did you do for 22 hour HEL layover?
Thank you!
Ok, it was not "very empty", but between ~1240 to 445 there's no flights so it stays quiet at night. I didnt have an active schengen visa so just decided to find a quiet corner and sleep at night. Daytime I mostly did some work on my laptop and some people watching.

Also in my mind I was comparing HEL to other major airports I use a lot (JFK, CLT, DEL, MAA). Probably not a fair comparison of course

Last edited by psusaver; Aug 22, 2022 at 10:00 am Reason: Time adjustment
Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lot of people at work, whether travelling or not, caught COVID the last few weeks. This is in the US. One guy shared a crazy story. He went on a cruise with some friends. The night before the return trip, one of the travel companions didn't feel good. She flew anyway. She actually deplaned right into an ambulance and was COVID positive. I didn't want to ask but judging for the number of masked people on domestic flights, she probably did not wear a mask...I am sure there was no contact tracing.

I just did my 2nd journey yesterday (return trip from my late June travel). I noticed a lot more people were wearing masks but that was relative. In late June, I thought it was maybe 10% on my domestic flight. Yesterday, I thought it was maybe 20%. My seatmates (a couple) actually both wore N95.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:38 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by username
A lot of people at work, whether travelling or not, caught COVID the last few weeks..
So be it, it's endemic and each person has to take his / her responsabiities. And yes, I put a FFP2 mask in crowded places, but it is up to me. Be happy in the US not having the Italian (or worse German) mask police.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by the810
Does this thing still exist? People trying to "avoid covid"? It's an endemic disease. If I live a normal life, I probably meet several infectious people everyday. I will probably develop some symptoms approximately once a year as I did since the beginning of the pandemic until now. So what?
My normal life is an active life. I remember unpleasantly well the six weeks of hacking bronchitis in 2013 courtesy of a Southwest flight that derailed my plans to get back into triathlons that year. These days, still do a bunch of hiking with 1000 foot elevation gains and distance running and long covid or even a month of recovery from medium covid would have really messed up with my travel plans.

Originally Posted by behuman
So be it, it's endemic and each person has to take his / her responsabiities. And yes, I put a FFP2 mask in crowded places, but it is up to me. Be happy in the US not having the Italian (or worse German) mask police.
No mask police in Germany these days-seemed like the only folks still wearing them are American tourists who didn’t want to get sick while on vacation. It was so very typically German this summer when we flew into Munich arrived at a bus gate where every inch of the walls were plastered with earnest reminders to practice social distancing and then you promptly found yourself in the shuttle bus so crammed that everyone’s face was only a few centimeters from someone else.
gojko88 and northinsouth like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.