Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K3MM

According to the WSJ - starting this coming Sunday, Covid tests will not be required to enter the USA!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Here's a free link to the article:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-t...hare_permalink
The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The requirement, which was introduced last year for international travel, will cease because the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has determined it is no longer necessary based on available science and data, one of the officials said. The agency will reassess the decision in 90 days and on a continuing basis after that.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 10, 2022 at 8:43 am
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
[mod edit - no longer relevant]

I just received our first (and now, definitely last) boxes from eMed - were leaving Tuesday so didn’t want to wait any longer in case there were delays in processing, etc. On the one hand, these are now just really overpriced BinaxNow tests. On the other hand, saved lots of space in our carry ons😀

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 10, 2022 at 8:44 am
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Odd it's not even sooner (though I guess this is the debate we had on masks) . . . but why even on Saturday? (I can understand going through Friday at midnight, which covers today's europe flights and means many flights from Asia would already be done).
seigex likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Gold, Amex Platinum
I just bought a set myself last month because my last test was expiring a week before a trip (even w/ the extension). Always glad to do my part in contributing to consumer spending.
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by drewguy
Odd it's not even sooner
Instituting such a change in two days is already instant in government terms.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:45 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I have six in my bag and four months before a flight to US. I would love that space back!
SanDiego1K, aztimm, SFO777 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
On the one hand, these are now just really overpriced BinaxNow tests. On the other hand, saved lots of space in our carry ons.
Well, testing is still required for cruising. Maybe you could sell them to a friend who has an upcoming cruise? Just a thought ...
jtwiz and xiphoid76 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Odd it's not even sooner (though I guess this is the debate we had on masks) . . . but why even on Saturday? (I can understand going through Friday at midnight, which covers today's europe flights and means many flights from Asia would already be done).
It's less than 48 hours. Less than 24 might impact planes boarding soon, check-in procedures in process, etc.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:48 am
soy

Programs: various
Whew, planned to buy them this morning and luckily decided to browse the news first
Zhaunk, kirkwoodj, nk15 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Halleluyah! Of course, as luck would have it, I will be landing in the USA about 8 hours before the mandate expires
volabam and Visconti like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:58 am

Saw this breaking news on my phone this morning and, as with most Ft'ers, quite ecstatic. Good riddance...
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by l etoile
I have six in my bag and four months before a flight to US. I would love that space back!
I still have some tests left from a trip I did last year. I don't think they are still good for the proctored version of the test, but I guess I can still use them for at-home testing.

Oddly, I had just booked international travel for September, thinking to myself, "I sure hope I don't have to deal with testing then..."
(note: I'm fully vaccinated, two boosters, yet still worry about that)
boerne and JBJ2435 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Hallelujah! Thanks for posting
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:05 am

Great news! But I have 2 sets (12) from United/eked. Wondering if and how to return??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.