Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Bandicoot
There is at least a notice on the CDC web site. Not sure it counts as the "press release" or "official order" that some were looking for.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...D-19-test.html
This should be sufficient.

If anybody wants that on a plaque, I can sell it to you for a good price, it looks like there will be some customers here...
GUWonder and Kawliga like this.

Last edited by nk15; Jun 10, 2022 at 7:41 pm
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:51 pm

There is at least a notice on the CDC web site. Not sure it counts as the "press release" or "official order" that some were looking for.

FINALLY- There it is. Thanks for posting!!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum

Thats it! Airlines have already started updating their websites. E.g. AA has posted new requirements starting June 12: A pre-departure COVID-19 test is no longer required for travelers entering the U.S. All travelers must provide their contact information within 72 hours of departure, and foreign nationals must sign an attestation that they meet U.S. entry requirements and are vaccinated.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
PDF of actual document:
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/r...rder-p.pdf.pdf
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
That reads as though the airline agents will not be checking vaccination proof of foreign travelers, only attestation forms.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:06 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Im flying back to the US on Wednesday and was wondering how much a test would cost in Amsterdam. Im pretty relieved. I expect the United App will update rather quickly.
www.certific.co

Pharmacy test plus 3 for a proctored certificate.

so like 7 total.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
That reads as though the airline agents will not be checking vaccination proof of foreign travelers, only attestation forms.
That’s sort of what SAS has been doing with the foreign visitors ahead of me in the check-in and boarding lines, but they didn’t even check their attestation forms (nor any of mine) this spring. Just collected them without review.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
they didnt even check their attestation forms
Guess the next step is for the US to simply to drop the vaccination requirement for visiting non-citizens?
varkey and Howmuch like this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:23 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Not sure if this has been pointed out but 12:01am ET on June 12 is the time of departure from a foreign country.

“This rescission takes effect for flights departing to the United States from a foreign country
at or after 12:01am ET (4:01am GMT) on June 12, 2022, and will be published in the Federal Register.”

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/fr-pr...tive-test.html
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 2:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Good news! Personally I didn't have a big issue with getting a test to get INTO the US but I felt a little stupid needing one just for transit. My other issue was in Canada the tests can still be fairly expensive. But coming home from Colombia, you can get tested for like 20-25$ so I wasnt worried about it down there. Not needing it will be a nice little change of pace, but I don't think this is some huge game changer either and it won't solve issues with airport staffing as some seem to think.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Good news! Personally I didn't have a big issue with getting a test to get INTO the US but I felt a little stupid needing one just for transit. My other issue was in Canada the tests can still be fairly expensive. But coming home from Colombia, you can get tested for like 20-25$ so I wasnt worried about it down there. Not needing it will be a nice little change of pace, but I don't think this is some huge game changer either and it won't solve issues with airport staffing as some seem to think.
Who thinks it will solve airport staffing issues? No clue why anyone might think that. And I think it is huge for returning Americans, there are plenty of tales of people failing a test and being stuck overseas for ~11 days and the associated misery with obtaining recovery letters, accommodation, expenses, and so on.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Who thinks it will solve airport staffing issues? No clue why anyone might think that. And I think it is huge for returning Americans, there are plenty of tales of people failing a test and being stuck overseas for ~11 days and the associated misery with obtaining recovery letters, accommodation, expenses, and so on.
The Canadians do. Canada has (had) a random testing program in place that forced several people to get a Covid-19 test upon arrival and cause a lot of issues related to missing flights, delaying flights, etc. Canada has scrapped that plan effective now until July 1 in the hopes that not running random tests will allow airlines to keep a more on-time schedule, especially at YYZ. It so happens the person you quoted is from YVR so they are more aware of this situation.

With the US dropping pre-testing requirements now it has decided not to implement a random testing policy upon arrival.

-RM
Silver Fox and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 4:21 am

Programs: free agent
Great news! Sound like US citizens could easily get mobile boarding pass for flying back to US now without have to going to check-in desks to show negative tests?

bet airlines is happy about it, less works to do for them (I could get mobile boarding pass for my recent trip to Europe but couldnt for my Europe to US flight due to this requirement)..
Old Jun 11, 2022, 4:43 am

The attestation requirement will also be dropped. Rescission: Requirement for Negative Pre-Departure COVID-19 Test Result or Documentation of Recovery from COVID-19 for all Airline or Other Aircraft Passengers Arriving into the United States from Any Foreign Country | Quarantine | CDC

It's nice to see they say this explicitly.
Silver Fox, 84fiero and Eyefly123 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:51 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I was at ZRH today asking for my flights tomorrow and so far the LH/LX system at the airport has not yet been updated and still requires the test.

However, I was able to check-in online and get my Boarding Passes and as far as the Check-In staff is concerned I'm now approved and accepted to fly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.