Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

No more Covid testing to travel to USA as of 12:01 am 12 June

No more Covid testing to travel to USA as of 12:01 am 12 June

Old Jun 10, 22, 11:27 am
  #61  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 109
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY View Post
That leads me to suspect that the CDC wanted to keep it, but was overruled by the White House.
So much for "follow the science" then - I wonder what metrics were used to make the decision as cases are trending upwards? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy common sense prevailed.
LETTERBOY likes this.
mguinness is offline  
Old Jun 10, 22, 11:33 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Colorado (anywhere between DEN DMM BAH)
Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Posts: 2,471
Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC View Post
Statistically, on an aircraft of 300 people there is likely to be someone with the infection. Thats the downside of the removal of testing requirement. I hope Im wrong, and fingers crossed.
Id understand removing the test mandate if masks/vaccines had still been required (like Canada) but this is going to be incredibly risky especially since US citizens and permanent residents among others arent required to be vaccinated. And of course with vaccination infections can and do happen. Covid cases are up probably because people now are a lot less inclined to take masking and being around crowds seriously and many are still getting severely ill and hospitalized though thankfully not as badly as pre-vaccines.
nk15 likes this.
Nayef is online now  
Old Jun 10, 22, 11:34 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 902
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
I flew zrh to jfk a week ago, at T-20 I used a c/i kiosk to complete.the ATTESTATION form and get my bp.
Whether doing this on-line would have worked
I haven't had any luck with the kiosks or with FlyReady so I've been stuck in line. It was especially brutal at MEX. All of the late morning flights left within an hour and they didn't have enough people working so we barely made it. People were getting real angry in line. Funny enough the AM desks across from Delta were completely empty. Should've just flown them home.
sfgiants13 is online now  
Old Jun 10, 22, 11:37 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Programs: American AAdvantage
Posts: 1,019
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
We just ordered an emed six pack yesterday, but the relief from not having to worry about returning home on schedule far outweighs the cost of the now unneeded tests.
The same with me. My biggest concern was being asymptomatic and not being able to return to the States.

I can always use the test in the future, non-proctored.
worldiswide and volabam like this.
Sant is offline  
Old Jun 10, 22, 11:38 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,431
The great thing about US and Europe dropping this is that this will completely finish any demand or appetitie for getting pcr tests within various African countries that are still quite draconion about it. So hopefully this will have a rolling impact on other countries that are on the fence about dropping requirements
nomiiiii is offline  
Old Jun 10, 22, 11:38 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 284
Originally Posted by mguinness View Post
So much for "follow the science" then - I wonder what metrics were used to make the decision as cases are trending upwards? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy common sense prevailed.
Given the uptick, timing was definitely a surprise! During the entire pandemic, I have not had as many people get COVID in my inner circle as within the last 5-6 weeks. This is in the D.C. area. That being said, Im happy the requirement to test goes away.
FlyingfromDC is offline  
Old Jun 10, 22, 11:43 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,953
Originally Posted by Nayef View Post
Id understand removing the test mandate if masks/vaccines had still been required (like Canada) but this is going to be incredibly risky especially since US citizens and permanent residents among others arent required to be vaccinated. And of course with vaccination infections can and do happen. Covid cases are up probably because people now are a lot less inclined to take masking and being around crowds seriously and many are still getting severely ill and hospitalized though thankfully not as badly as pre-vaccines.
I believe part of the rationale is that there are no such requirements for domestic flights or just about any other activities in the US. Yes, international flights would be somewhat safer, but why should they be different from everything else? You may say we should be doing more to reduce transmission, but hard to see why these flights should be the priority.

Another part of the rationale may have been to prevent new strains or masses of infected people from entering the US, but given the prevalence in the US that doesn't make sense anymore, if it ever did.
volabam and VCURamFan like this.
richarddd is offline  
Old Jun 10, 22, 11:55 am
  #68  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 98,702
Originally Posted by Xlr View Post
The airline ground staff might know from the media about the change, but ground staff are typically local contract staff who follow what the airline tells them to do.
A reference to TIMATIC or the like could be working for them too just fine by Sunday/Monday, at least as long as they enter the right details and read properly. Best to check it for updates on ones own from now until on Monday, but this is big enough news in the airline world that it shouldnt be a problem to get around even an ill-informed obstinate agent by finding someone else who knows better.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jun 10, 22, 12:02 pm
  #69  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 98,702
CDC has not yet put out a media alert about this, but it’s to come. The CDC were also like this when it came to going ahead with the testing requirement.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jun 10, 22, 12:05 pm
  #70  
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: ZRH
Programs: LX, SK *G
Posts: 2,550
As luck will have it I will be leaving from Europe towards the US (NYC) this very Sunday. I was already stressed with getting a test, a nearly impossible and rather expensive task in Switzerland, as most testing facilities are now closed, and the few remaining are rather expensive. Good news
Nick Art is offline  
Old Jun 10, 22, 12:08 pm
  #71  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: NYC
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 13,782
Originally Posted by Nayef View Post
I hope this doesnt cause more infections on planes especially since masks arent required on most flights to and from the US and most US airports. If my dad hadnt tested the day of their travel as required he was potentially going to infect a lot of people on their flight.
Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC View Post
Statistically, on an aircraft of 300 people there is likely to be someone with the infection. Thats the downside of the removal of testing requirement. I hope Im wrong, and fingers crossed.
Originally Posted by Nayef View Post
Id understand removing the test mandate if masks/vaccines had still been required (like Canada) but this is going to be incredibly risky especially since US citizens and permanent residents among others arent required to be vaccinated. And of course with vaccination infections can and do happen. Covid cases are up probably because people now are a lot less inclined to take masking and being around crowds seriously and many are still getting severely ill and hospitalized though thankfully not as badly as pre-vaccines.
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
I believe part of the rationale is that there are no such requirements for domestic flights or just about any other activities in the US. Yes, international flights would be somewhat safer, but why should they be different from everything else? You may say we should be doing more to reduce transmission, but hard to see why these flights should be the priority.

Another part of the rationale may have been to prevent new strains or masses of infected people from entering the US, but given the prevalence in the US that doesn't make sense anymore, if it ever did.
Let's just nip this in the bud before it turns the thread into an off-topic discussion about the logic/efficacy testing/masking.
LWkitty likes this.
seawolf is online now  
Old Jun 10, 22, 12:11 pm
  #72  
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Posts: 3,304
So we depart from Tahiti at 9:00pm (3:00am ET). Technically that is 3 hours after the requirement expires. United Airlines.

Should we just not test at this point? Or is it foolish to expect the airlines to be up to speed on the new rules?
Ericka is offline  
Old Jun 10, 22, 12:12 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC View Post
Given the uptick, timing was definitely a surprise! During the entire pandemic, I have not had as many people get COVID in my inner circle as within the last 5-6 weeks. This is in the D.C. area. That being said, Im happy the requirement to test goes away.
cases might have had an uptick but the deaths managed to be rather flat throughout BA.2
wooootles is offline  
Old Jun 10, 22, 12:13 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,953
"That official said the Biden administration plans to work with airlines to ensure a smooth transition with the change" US will end Covid-19 testing requirement for air travelers entering the country - CNNPolitics

It's certainly enough time to update TIMATIC and get the word out to agents and contract employees.
volabam likes this.
richarddd is offline  
Old Jun 10, 22, 12:15 pm
  #75  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 2,790
Since thankfully don’t need the dozen embed tests for travel home , we can use for our flights out of country
12 of us going on a family sailing vacation to BVI. I’ll mail the tests to them to use at home for flights to BVI
jerseygirl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread