Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by washeelers747
Great news! Sound like US citizens could easily get mobile boarding pass for flying back to US now without have to going to check-in desks to show negative tests?

bet airlines is happy about it, less works to do for them (I could get mobile boarding pass for my recent trip to Europe but couldn’t for my Europe to US flight due to this requirement)..
At least with United I was always able to upload a PDF of my text result into their system and got the green "Travel Ready" flag in my record.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It sounds like the tracing form is still required? I think with United I just entered the information during online checkin?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by jetsetter777
I flew back into the US on June 11 and had my negative test result in hand. No one even looked at it then nor did they ask for it. If I had known that, i'd not have wasted nearly $150.
Eeesh. Where did you pay that? I was in Mexico and paid $20 for my test.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by theplayer
Well, for the people who are upset about possibly flying with someone who has covid, the same options apply since this started. If you are at high risk and feel catching covid might put you in the hospital, then don't travel. With the new variants, most only show mild symptoms. Covid is not going away, but if variants remain mild, most people can go on with their lives.
But how hard was getting a free test the day before you left just to make sure? Just because the US has a third-world health care mentality, a childlike fear of masks and a work-life balance that doesn't exist doesn't mean others should be put at risk.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Who thinks it will solve airport staffing issues? No clue why anyone might think that. And I think it is huge for returning Americans, there are plenty of tales of people failing a test and being stuck overseas for ~11 days and the associated misery with obtaining recovery letters, accommodation, expenses, and so on.
So those people who failed tests can now infect dozens of others on their transatlantic. This is brilliant!
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by largeeyes
But how hard was getting a free test the day before you left just to make sure? Just because the US has a third-world health care mentality, a childlike fear of masks and a work-life balance that doesn't exist doesn't mean others should be put at risk.
Sir, as a physician, I must tell you that if I take "your" test at 0900 the day before flight and its "negative".
I can still:
-Have a false negative test and thus the test was of no value.
-Turn Covid positive by the following morning and the test the day before was of no value.

Any single Covid test on an asymptomatic subject was always just theater. If it was done on symptomatic patients, then that's a different subject.

No insults next time please.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by largeeyes
So those people who failed tests can now infect dozens of others on their transatlantic. This is brilliant!
Since there was no testing mandate on westbound TA, the same potential exists on the outbound.

Originally Posted by mnhusker
Sir, as a physician, I must tell you that if I take "your" test at 0900 the day before flight and its "negative".
I can still:
-Turn Covid positive by the following morning and the test the day before was of no value.

Any single Covid test on an asymptomatic subject was always just theater. If it was done on symptomatic patients, then that's a different subject.
TRUTH.
84fiero, LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I can still:

No insults next time please.
71% sensitivity in asymptomatic is not just theater. Plus, the tests still catch most of the symptomatic ones too who don't care if they will infect others.

Last edited by nk15; Jun 15, 2022 at 11:20 am
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
When the testing requirement was put in place there were a few days between the announcement and the “go live” date. It is the same kind of thing with the end of the testing requirement.

For foreign airports with multiple US flights, the airlines with their own US-bound flights out of the airport will be quick to get the situation right and so no need for a back-up testing plan for that reason for Monday departures from there. Even at out-stations feeding those major foreign gateways to the US, they will typically have it right on time too.
One would hope, but I'm not nearly that optimiistic. Just last month I had check-in agents ask to see proof of vaccination for US citizens flying to the US.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by QT31415
Since there was no testing mandate on westbound TA, the same potential exists on the outbound.
And let's not forget that YVR-SEA, which takes an hour on a bad day, required a negative test. But BOS-HNL which is 12 hours, didn't.

I'm really not sure what the purpose of the negative test requirement was, but it definitely wasn't to keep COVID off planes.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by nk15
71% sensitivity in asymptomatic is not just theater. Plus, the tests still catch most of the symptomatic ones too who don't care if they will infect others.
Sir you know how bad that is for a test?!

Would you truly accept a test that misses 13% of people who have active metastatic breast cancer and 29% of people who have breast cancer detectable by other methods but had not spread yet?

Because that's what you are saying with the Covid test, which is truly unacceptable.
QT31415, Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sir you know how bad that is for a test?!

Would you truly accept a test that misses 13% of people who have active metastatic breast cancer and 29% of people who have breast cancer detectable by other methods but had not spread yet?

Because that's what you are saying with the Covid test, which is truly unacceptable.
You are missing the context here. This is pre-flight testing for Covid we are talking about (with the alternative being no testing at all), not metastatic cancer. The test catches 87% of the symptomatic and 71% of the asymptomatic, and because it is not 95%, you're proposing dropping it completely?

As a doctor, are you proposing going from 71-87% detection with easy means to 0% detection in the context of public health prevention?

Last edited by nk15; Jun 15, 2022 at 1:03 pm
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:26 pm

The test catches 87% of the symptomatic and 71% of the asymptomatic, and because it is not 95%, you're proposing dropping it completely?
Even if it caught 100% without fail ever, I would still propose dropping it, unless:

- the test was done in the hours before boarding (and remember it is 100% accurate), with results within the hour
- the test is free
- the test is unintrusive (no brain scraping), and most importantly
- the airlines are required to rebook or refund free of charge pax who test positive and thus are not able to travel.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CyBeR
Even if it caught 100% without fail ever, I would still propose dropping it, unless:

- the test was done in the hours before boarding (and remember it is 100% accurate), with results within the hour
- the test is free
- the test is unintrusive (no brain scraping), and most importantly
- the airlines are required to rebook or refund free of charge pax who test positive and thus are not able to travel.
This argument is nonsense, saying that because the testing is not perfect, discard it completely... The tests are relatively cheap, $5-35 in most situations. There is no brain scraping anymore, what are you talking about. If you test positive, you should not be on the plane anyway.

Last edited by nk15; Jun 15, 2022 at 12:51 pm
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
This argument nonsense, saying that because the testing is not perfect, discard it completely... The tests are relatively cheap, $5-35 in most situations. There is no brain scraping anymore, what are you talking about. If you test positive, you should not be on the plane anyway.
Actually, it already HAS been discarded. Perhaps it's time to move on....

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.