Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Nick Art
I was at ZRH today asking for my flights tomorrow and so far the LH/LX system at the airport has not yet been updated and still requires the test.

However, I was able to check-in online and get my Boarding Passes and as far as the Check-In staff is concerned I'm now approved and accepted to fly.
In theory, I think it might still be required (I don't know what your departure time is, but remember that it's US time that governs...I doubt there's going to be a flight leaving "that" early from ZRH to the US, but there's definitely room for things to get mangled further east (e.g. IST, BOM, DEL).

[This also means there's going to be a few hours where some inbound flights have tests required but others don't. FWIW, if I had to guess the folks on the ground are just going to stop asking in the morning if they were bothering anyway...nobody wants to keep straight "The flight from Brazil needs to be checked but the one from Mexico doesn't". And I wouldn't be surprised if some airlines are going to end up being a bit cavalier on this as well.]
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I'm leaving tomorrow and returning a week a later. I'm bringing a couple of smaller, non-proctored tests just because I feel comfortable having them. But I'm not bringing the proctored tests. I'm flying AA, so I figured that, as an airline that heavily lobbied for the removal of this requirement, they'd better know what is required or not.

Do you fly AA often? Because you’re assumption of their training of their employees doesn’t fit with my past experience on the airline.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Halleluyah! Of course, as luck would have it, I will be landing in the USA about 8 hours before the mandate expires
You’re right, you’re incredibly lucky. Eight hours later you be on the plane with the positive test results who are coming home because no one’s going to know. And there are a lot of them buying tickets right now

Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
Statistically, on an aircraft of 300 people there is likely to be someone with the infection. That’s the downside of the removal of testing requirement. I hope I’m wrong, and fingers crossed.

oh if you’re flying Sunday or Monday you’re statistical likelihood is probably much higher than normal. Just spend some time on travel boards. There are people sitting in places right now with their positive test and symptoms buying plane tickets to fly home Sunday and Monday. Yes you can get covid on a flight with them - thank goodness I’m not flying for another couple weeks
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I guess my remaining two emed tests are now worthless. $70 down the drain.
Though who knows, they could easily flipflop on this in a few months. It is important for the politicians to have small meaningless actions they can enact when things get bad to make people feel like they are doing something.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
You’re right, you’re incredibly lucky. Eight hours later you be on the plane with the positive test results who are coming home because no one’s going to know. And there are a lot of them buying tickets right now

oh if you’re flying Sunday or Monday you’re statistical likelihood is probably much higher than normal. Just spend some time on travel boards. There are people sitting in places right now with their positive test and symptoms buying plane tickets to fly home Sunday and Monday. Yes you can get covid on a flight with them - thank goodness I’m not flying for another couple weeks
Because covid will be gone in a couple of weeks? Thank goodness for that!
jackw007 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
I guess my remaining two emed tests are now worthless. $70 down the drain.
Though who knows, they could easily flipflop on this in a few months
They still work past the expiration date and you can use it for personal reasons. I keep a few just for that reason. Just keep them in a cool dark place. You don't want to compromise the activation liquid, reagent.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Because covid will be gone in a couple of weeks? Thank goodness for that!
No, because all of the people who couldn't fly back to the US because they tested positive will now be flying back as soon as they can. That wave should subside over time.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 7:02 am

There are people sitting in places right now with their positive test and symptoms (...)
We know the tests aren't 100% reliable. Plus like any test they can only ever be a snapshot.

My son had Covid in May, over two days he had: (in sequence) one negative PCR (6h later) one negative LFT (then 1h later) one positive LFT (then 12h later) one positive PCR.

He then gave me Covid, but I never tested positive, despite having a headache and sore throat, and testing every other day (LFTs and PCRs) for a fortnight. I've ~4000 BAUs/ml Covid antibodies, so I've definitely just had it!
Old Jun 11, 2022, 7:38 am

I honestly don’t think this increases your risk in about 10 days, but Sunday Monday Tuesday yeah your risk just went way up. Because there are Lot of people who know their positive who happily racing to the airport to get home.

I live in a very small condo complex and
as I’m out walking my dog one of my neighbors just told that she knows a family of six who are all positive, all symptomatic, trapped in Rome and have moved their plane ticket to Sunday so they can come home😀 And from what she tells me they won’t be wearing a mask.

I think after this rush of people who are trapped in places gets done with your risks go back to what they were pre-testing removal but right now this coming week is “infection transportation week”
nk15 and FlyingfromDC like this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I honestly don’t think this increases your risk in about 10 days, but Sunday Monday Tuesday yeah your risk just went way up. Because there are Lot of people who know their positive who happily racing to the airport to get home.

I live in a very small condo complex and
as I’m out walking my dog one of my neighbors just told that she knows a family of six who are all positive, all symptomatic, trapped in Rome and have moved their plane ticket to Sunday so they can come home😀 And from what she tells me they won’t be wearing a mask.

I think after this rush of people who are trapped in places gets done with your risks go back to what they were pre-testing removal but right now this coming week is “infection transportation week”
Followed by a couple of weeks of flight disruptions and cancellations because of sick crews from the "infected repatriation week"...

Sitting cooped up in packed economy on a 10-hour TATL with a few maskless infected coughers will be a mass casualty event....
Old Jun 11, 2022, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by nk15
Sitting cooped up in packed economy on a 10-hour TATL with a few maskless infected coughers will be a mass casualty event....
Note that it's entirely possible not to catch Covid from someone who's got it and is sitting right next to you, even if neither you nor they are masked.... my wife had it in March (fairly mildly, but symptomatic including coughing) and didn't give it to me, despite the utter lack of changes to our regular routine (still sleeping in same bedroom and having meals together). Our younger son had in early March too, I had to take him for PCR tests for school, so that meant he and I sat in the car together for about an hour, twice, and neither of us were masked. Both of his PCR tests came back positive.

YMMV. Or, if you're concerned, wear a mask!
Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art
I was at ZRH today asking for my flights tomorrow and so far the LH/LX system at the airport has not yet been updated and still requires the test.

However, I was able to check-in online and get my Boarding Passes and as far as the Check-In staff is concerned I'm now approved and accepted to fly.
Just checked the United app, the "Travel Ready" part of a future reservation. The Covid-19 Documentation section has been updated. Now says "Negative test not required" and lists vaccination requirement for non-US Citizens. I am a US citizen with my passport scan in their system. Clicked "I understand", and that section is now marked complete with a green checkmark.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:34 am

Well, for the people who are upset about possibly flying with someone who has covid, the same options apply since this started. If you are at high risk and feel catching covid might put you in the hospital, then don't travel. With the new variants, most only show mild symptoms. Covid is not going away, but if variants remain mild, most people can go on with their lives.
CAPT Tee, BLV, Silver Fox and 9 others like this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by richarddd
No, because all of the people who couldn't fly back to the US because they tested positive will now be flying back as soon as they can. That wave should subside over time.
The attestation should be replaced by a warning and waiver of liability, lol....Do you accept the risks of being on this flight....
Old Jun 11, 2022, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
Followed by a couple of weeks of flight disruptions and cancellations because of sick crews from the "infected repatriation week"...

Same argument was declared by "experts" after the mask mandate removal by a judge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.