Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Tested positive in Porto before returning to US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tested positive in Porto before returning to US

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I would worry that as soon as you get the paperwork straight for your wife, that you will test positive and start the whole cycle again.

Think about changing your flight to Toronto, taking the bus across the border to Buffalo, and then flying home from there.

Forget about which airline and business class.
Old May 20, 2022, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
One bit of advice too for “free” medical support/letters - “One Medical” - they are in NY, CA and MA. If you pay $199 per year they have a basically unlimited video chat service with PAs and give free letters. We actually use them for all our medical needs so the $199 is a no brainer but we also use a handful of video chats a year too.
I have OneMedical also but haven't used them for this letter thing - can you please give a bit more detail. Lets say on my home-test I tested positive today, i just need to setup a video call with them next week and ask them for a letter showing them my positive test result?
Old May 20, 2022, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
“One Medical” - they are in NY, CA and MA.
I use One Medical. They are in AZ as well.
Old May 22, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Chaz_12
Can always fly to Tijuana and walk across the border. Then take a flight home from SAN. Mexico has no testing requirement and you can use the pedestrian bridge to literally walk from the airport to USA as there is no testing requirement at land crossings. (Not debating the morals of flying with COVID, just pointing out the rules as written and enforced.)
Is the following part of "the rules as written"?

-Passengers and aircrew members arriving at Mexican airports may be subject to health screenings including temperature checks. Those exhibiting symptoms may be subject to additional health screening and/or quarantine.
-Travelers entering Mexico via land may be subject to health screen including temperature checks. Travelers may experience significant delays and face the possibility of being returned to the United States or quarantined in Mexico.
https://mx.usembassy.gov/covid-19-in...ens-in-mexico/
Old May 22, 2022, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Is the following part of "the rules as written"?

https://mx.usembassy.gov/covid-19-in...ens-in-mexico/
You shouldn't fly when symptomatic, from a purely moral perspective and your obligations to others (although if wearing a well-fitted N95 mask the odds of transmission to others are significantly reduced). But if you have two days without symptoms you are very very likely to no longer be transmissible.

And can say from friends experience in this exact same situation that Mexican officials really won't care unless you are hacking coughs all over them. The land border crossing option is perfectly legal and viable. In my friends case, he was asymptomatic after 2 days, but kept testing positive as of 5 days, and just really really didn't want to stick around for another 5 days for the recovery certificate. Flew to MEX, then TIJ, and crossed using the Border Xpress land crossing connected to TIJ.

Flying to YYZ and then bus/taxi to BUF is probably the easiest for those east of the Rockies.
Old May 22, 2022, 5:03 pm

Someone in another thread also suggested this alternative to TIJ -- flying to YYZ, then taking a bus to Buffalo. This may end up a bit more expensive than the fee for CBX bridge + the shuttle to SAN or LAX.
p.s. just noticed the earlier post
Old May 22, 2022, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by pretzlaff
Think about changing your flight to Toronto, taking the bus across the border to Buffalo, and then flying home from there.
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Someone in another thread also suggested this alternative to TIJ -- flying to YYZ, then taking a bus to Buffalo. This may end up a bit more expensive than the fee for CBX bridge + the shuttle to SAN or LAX.
p.s. just noticed the earlier post
For fully vaccinated people only?

As of April 1, 2022, fully vaccinated travellers no longer need to provide a pre-entry COVID-19 test result to enter Canada.
https://www.torontopearson.com/en/ready-to-travel
Old May 22, 2022, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
For fully vaccinated people only?

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/ready-to-travel
Correct, looks like Canada does require vaccination to enter. Mexico does not.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-adv...ntries/mexico/
Old May 23, 2022, 7:44 am

Wow - good luck and thanks for the questions. This thread is useful to me and others at a general level just to help understand some of the contingencies one might encounter after getting Covid overseas. Otherwise it's hard to imagine all the possible roadblocks, details, rules etc. which go way beyond simply being sick and quarantined in another country. (Reminds me a bit of being in Poland when the volcano erupted in Iceland, but that was all over in two weeks, and was simply a matter of the availability of travel options and uncertainty as to when it would be okay to fly over Northern Europe.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.