Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

What happens if you test positive abroad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens if you test positive abroad

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 1:18 am

I wanted to point out again for people (because it’s important for trip insurance and the letter of recovery) that even though CDC boldly states that symptom onset is day 0, this means nothing for trip insurance and the letter of recovery. (I just saved you the second change fee for flights— learn from my mistake).

In order to receive a letter of recovery, and for trip insurance to cover your extended stay, you must— no matter how bad you feel— get on public transportation while contagious to get an official positive test that has your name, date of birth and the letterhead of the facility and the date of the positive test.

Do NOT go by “symptom onset is day zero”.
artemis and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by gaobest
tbh EVERY USA CITIZEN who travels globally is putting themselves and others at risk if they test positive. Who cares about why somebody is traveling globally - it’s their right. We are past the 2020 days when only essential workers could travel. We can easily admonish every person in FlyerTalk who has posted about testing positive or we can just support our fellow FlyerTalkers by stifling the need to remind them of their sins.
It would appear there are people who are emotionally stuck in spring 2020 and resent that we aren't living under the same restrictions as two years ago. There are also self-appointed hall monitors and other bothersome busybodies who sternly rebuke anyone who doesn't follow every rule, regulation, requirement or request. Put the two together and condescension, condemnation and self-righteousness soon follow.
artemis, ksucats, BLV and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:29 am

Good Lord, I just found this in the bowels of aer lingus, and will add the links here. I don’t know if this only is if you test positive in Ireland or what… and I didn’t click much past the “get recovery certificate” but I did see it says recovery letter (with symptoms) on day 6 from official positive. Don’t tell my daughter.

It’s hard to be accurate and a research machine when you are jet lagged and have a Covid + daughter. Based on onset of symptoms, we would have flown home yesterday.

No, I didn’t call aer lingus for help because it’s a 2+ hour wait on the phone.

Oh well, at least we got to see more of Ireland. I take my test tomorrow and we fly home on Thursday.

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/co...g-from-ireland
link above has travel certificate resources.

https://www.v1medical.ie/aer-lingus

I hope this helps someone.

Oh, If you buy a proctored test to bring, check online for reviews of the wait times, because I believe I saw something about Binax for instance getting slammed and people are having to call other languages numbers to do this.

ETA: it says symptoms plus 6 days from official positive, then you can get your recovery certificate.

*banging my head against a wall* it was there the whole time. I didn’t find it until just now.

Last edited by whitewave; Jun 7, 2022 at 3:40 am
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by whitewave
Oh, If you buy a proctored test to bring, check online for reviews of the wait times, because I believe I saw something about Binax for instance getting slammed and people are having to call other languages numbers to do this.
There's no "call" with Binax test, you connect through the Navica/emed app. IME never waited more than a minute for a proctor.
l etoile, LETTERBOY and whitewave like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by whitewave

ETA: it says symptoms plus 6 days from official positive, then you can get your recovery certificate.

*banging my head against a wall* it was there the whole time. I didn’t find it until just now.
It’s not that awful. This is a new phenomenon for us Americans and most of us didn’t know about Covid nor tests until after 2019. Those of us born before 1999 are just facing this new stuff in our lives and none of us really knew any of it.

you know what’s banging head against the wall? It’s taking a piece of luggage to transport for a friend. Don’t do that. Let the friend use a courier service. Americans make this error and sometimes get sent to real prison or they get executed. That sucks. You’re in a safe place. Just don’t fly to some place where you can risk being a diplomatic hostage. Don’t hike in Iraq and don’t take pottery shards home in your luggage. That’s also banging the head against the wall.
you’ve helped to rescue your babies and you’ve really built up trust with your children. Mega!
slainte and have some Jameson & Guinness when you’re back home in the states.
whitewave likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 5:27 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
So, for a datapoint, I popped a positive antigen test in Tbilisi, Georgia with official documentation today. Currently holed up in a Marriott Hotel, which is not the worst place in the world, especially here. Wife tested negative, but she might be lagging behind me on diagnosis.
A couple questions for folks:

1. My wife and I were slated to fly out Monday on TK. Should we keep the reservation as is for our flight on Monday, hoping we can pop a negative test on Sunday, or should we just change the reservation now? I have a paperwork for the test and the 10 day clock starts for me, though for my DW, it may be a couple more days.

2. It seems from the thread that letters of recovery from one's US doctor of telehealth is the way to go, as opposed to getting one here, if at all possible? Does that jibe with folk's experiences?

Thanks for all the help!
Old Jun 9, 2022, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by northinsouth
So, for a datapoint, I popped a positive antigen test in Tbilisi, Georgia with official documentation today. Currently holed up in a Marriott Hotel, which is not the worst place in the world, especially here. Wife tested negative, but she might be lagging behind me on diagnosis.
A couple questions for folks:

1. My wife and I were slated to fly out Monday on TK. Should we keep the reservation as is for our flight on Monday, hoping we can pop a negative test on Sunday, or should we just change the reservation now? I have a paperwork for the test and the 10 day clock starts for me, though for my DW, it may be a couple more days.

2. It seems from the thread that letters of recovery from one's US doctor of telehealth is the way to go, as opposed to getting one here, if at all possible? Does that jibe with folk's experiences?

Thanks for all the help!
I don't know anyone who tested negative until at least 7 days after their positive test. By day 5 or 6 you will probably have faint lines, but they will still be there and count as positives. I would not assume you will be negative by Monday morning.

Also every family/couple I know had the spouse test positive a couple days after the first person. In no case did the spouse test negative the whole time. Obviously every case is unique, but for now I would assume you wife will test positive over the next couple of days.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by DCJoe1
I don't know anyone who tested negative until at least 7 days after their positive test. By day 5 or 6 you will probably have faint lines, but they will still be there and count as positives. I would not assume you will be negative by Monday morning.

Also every family/couple I know had the spouse test positive a couple days after the first person. In no case did the spouse test negative the whole time. Obviously every case is unique, but for now I would assume you wife will test positive over the next couple of days.
I absolutely agree with everything you say. The negative test is, at best, a complete long shot. So, would you recommend changing flights now, or play the longshot odds we test negative on the antigen test? Luckily, my doctor is going to write a letter for me for the 10-day quarantine period.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:21 am

I absolutely agree with everything you say. The negative test is, at best, a complete long shot. So, would you recommend changing flights now, or play the longshot odds we test negative on the antigen test? Luckily, my doctor is going to write a letter for me for the 10-day quarantine period.
Went through this with a friend who kept testing positive after 7 days (zero symptoms after day 1, which were so mild he wouldn't have tested unless he had to for the flight). He first pushed his flight 4 days, then another 3, then finally another 4. If I were you I would just change the flight now until probably next weekend? Or maybe early the week of June 20. Sorry.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:47 am

Went through this with a friend who kept testing positive after 7 days (zero symptoms after day 1, which were so mild he wouldn't have tested unless he had to for the flight). He first pushed his flight 4 days, then another 3, then finally another 4. If I were you I would just change the flight now until probably next weekend? Or maybe early the week of June 20. Sorry.
It's ok. That's the risk of traveling abroad these days. Luckily, I work in academia and have this time off, and have work stuff and hulu to keep me entertained. Anyhow, I just rebooked the flight on TK for the 20th. It is what it is...at least we got to a Marriott and weren't stranded in rural Georgia, which would have been a real shitshow.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:49 am

It's ok. That's the risk of traveling abroad these days. Luckily, I work in academia and have this time off, and have work stuff and hulu to keep me entertained. Anyhow, I just rebooked the flight on TK for the 20th. It is what it is...at least we got to a Marriott and weren't stranded in rural Georgia, which would have been a real shitshow.
Might be able to go back earlier. Quite literally breaking news as of 9:30 AM EDT

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/10/polit...ent/index.html
Old Jun 11, 2022, 11:51 pm

Might be able to go back earlier. Quite literally breaking news as of 9:30 AM EDT

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/10/polit...ent/index.html
This news, while great, also proves I have terrible timing. I literally changed my flight, checked my email, and then smacked my forehead guffawing. I then changed it for a second time for a little earlier--enough to be non-contagious per CDC recs.

It's costing me 2-3k extra. I would be mad if it weren't so literally comic timing. Anyhow, thanks for the help.
whitewave and DCJoe1 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I just recovered from a bout with COVID that I picked up on vacation, where I was literally with at least one member of my family at all times, but no one else was positive on multiple tests. My mom had COVID that landed her in the hospital but my dad never got it.

In both cases, the infected person was able to fully isolate, which I think can make a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.