Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Recovery from Covid Letter/Certificate [merged thread]

Recovery from Covid Letter/Certificate [merged thread]

Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Here's the example I posted of my recovery letter. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33021002-post717.html I presented it with the positive COVID lab test to check in with American Airlines in SJD and had no issues.
Did the physician require a negative test to issue the letter?

I find it unlikely a physician would do so absent a negative test.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 11:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Did the physician require a negative test to issue the letter?

I find it unlikely a physician would do so absent a negative test.
No - if I had a negative test, I would have just used that for travel and not bothered to get a letter from the doctor. The whole reason for allowing a certificate of recovery in lieu of a test is that the test can show positive results from DNA fragments long after one is infected or infectious.
84fiero, FlitBen and LWkitty like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Travel to USA, recent covid infection. Acceptable proof?

Hi all, recently tested positive for covid. Triple jabbed so very mild... Climbing the walls somewhat and only on day 2 of isolation.

UK based so all testing documentation is NHS.

Anyway, we're looking at travelling to the US over the next month or two. The CDC guidance states that those with a recent covid infection need signed proof from their healthcare provider confirming infection (they do not recommend retesting within 3 months for obvious reasons).

Does anyone know if they will accept one of the many swathes of emails I have received as proof? The one entitled 'NHS COVID-19 Notification' clearly has my name/DOB on it. The issue is that it's not 'signed'.

Or is it best to run the risk and get a commercial rapid antigen test prior to travel (obviously much less sensitive than PCR)?

Cheers
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:11 am

they recommend not testing again for 3 months? That's is ridiculous, especially for a mild case. You should test negative within a week.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Although your PCR can in certain cases be positive for a couple of months after an infection a rapid lateral flow test is more likely to be negative. Do one at home in a week or so, and if you are negative you'll be all set to repeat it as a test for travel. You'll be negative on LFT well before you planned trip.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:49 am

Travel on United Airlines

Got a signed letter from a doctor that I was asymptomatic. Uploaded the letter along with original positive test report and it was approved on the United Travel Ready Center. Showed a hard copy of both docs at the airport and did not have a problem. Travel on Jan 18' 2022.
N1120A, StingWest and the810 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by theplayer
they recommend not testing again for 3 months? That's is ridiculous, especially for a mild case. You should test negative within a week.
The US exempts travelers from the testing requirement for 90 days after recovery if they have proof of a positive test and an attestation from a doctor that the person has fully recovered. Molecular tests can show positive results for months after, depending on the strain and viral load. Antigen are less likely to do so, but still may.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
The US exempts travelers from the testing requirement for 90 days after recovery if they have proof of a positive test and an attestation from a doctor that the person has fully recovered. Molecular tests can show positive results for months after, depending on the strain and viral load. Antigen are less likely to do so, but still may.
easier to get a negative antigen than Drs note, IMO.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by randomwalk
Got a signed letter from a doctor that I was asymptomatic. Uploaded the letter along with original positive test report and it was approved on the United Travel Ready Center. Showed a hard copy of both docs at the airport and did not have a problem. Travel on Jan 18' 2022.
hi was it just the nhs text/email confirmation of your positive result that you used along with the recovery certificate? Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2022, 4:41 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by theplayer
easier to get a negative antigen than Drs note, IMO.
You only need a Dr's note once - not for every flight. Also, depends if you will keep testing positive.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:05 pm

Proof Of Recovery Covid Letter Questions

Hi. I am starting this new thread as I want to make my questions quick and to the point. I'm American and flew to Mexico earlier this month. I also have to leave pretty soon by the end of the month or so back to the US. When I got here, few days later I did not felt good. I then later took an antigen test and was tested positive for covid. I then isolated inside for several days. I read 5 days is all that is needed right before you can go outside? Now at the moment, I do not feel much symptoms at all compared to earlier.

1. My concern was doing the antigen test the day before I fly and getting tested positive. But I read online that CDC recommends anyone that test positive within the last 90 days to not retest since people with no symptoms can still be tested positive up to 90 days later. But does this apply to just PCR or antigen as well? And one should instead get a letter of recovery. Do most people here do this or not? Obviously this would cost more than getting an antigen the test the day before you fly but that is only if your antigen test is negative. Also if you get tested positive but have no symptoms, then it will be hassle cancelling flight and having to book hotel etc. Do most people here suggest to get the recovery letter as oppose to antigen test because I already tested positive like two weeks ago? Would seem less stressful this way knowing that I could then be able to fly without relying on a negative antigen test the day before. At the moment symptoms are pretty much close to none,

2. How do people get the proof of recovery covid letter? Do most of you get it in the foreign country that you are located at a doctor office or do you do it online? How much do you pay for it in your foreign country? Also do the doctors even test you if you see them? I see you could it online as well so they basically ask you several questions and thats all? I read webmd you can do it for 75 dollars. But if you do that, does that appointment and letter need to be within three days before you flight? Or you could actually do it and get the letter from them and fly a week or more later? Because from reading online, as long as your positive covid test is within 90 days and you have your recovery letter, then you are good to go?

3. I am bit confused with the positive covid test letter and the proof of recovery covid letter timing. So say you got a positive covid test two weeks ago. You feel better and get that proof of recovery covid letter say right now. Are you telling me... someone could literally fly back to the US a month or two months later... with this same note back to the US without taking an antigen test the day before your flight since its up to 90 days? That seems way too extreme as someone could easily catch covid and not know or even care and basically fly back to the US two months later just because they have that recovery letter? And let say they were even coughing a lot etc. Obviously that is beyond selfish and bad but this letter basically excuses them? That seems ridiculous because wouldn't it make sense for you to get that recovery letter and then you must travel within a week or so?

So based on my situation, should I get the recovery letter vs waiting till the day before I fly and taking the antigen test? The thing is I am basically just going to stay inside the rest of my trip before I go and take the test which makes everything really restrictive as I basically isolated myself throughout most of my trip. But if I get the recovery letter, well obviously I am still going to take the same precautions with wearing a mask and 6 feet apart but I wouldn't need to be concerned about having to cancel my flight and having to deal with everything else. I would like to get feedback from people who visited outside the US whether its Mexico or any other location and how they handled this situation. I had some people tell me based on my situation, it's a no brainer to get that letter of recovery. Some others however suggested me just wait till I take the antigen test the day before. Someone else also suggested me take an antigen test every day before I leave which to me would be beyond ridiculous.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Have you read through the multiple threads already addressing this? Like this one...https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...ble-proof.html
Old Jan 24, 2022, 3:51 pm

Yes I did read that thread. There isn't that much information on it though besides one person mentioning they did this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jerry90210
Yes I did read that thread. There isn't that much information on it though besides one person mentioning they did this.
Well it did answer several of your questions, but I guess you want to ask again to see if you get a different answer? Your posts would be easier if you pared them down and only asked direct questions...just a thought.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
Well it did answer several of your questions, but I guess you want to ask again to see if you get a different answer? Your posts would be easier if you pared them down and only asked direct questions...just a thought.
If you look back in the OP's post history, you will find a string of threads just like this one, where he overanalyzes an issue to death, gets hung up on unimportant minute details, and dismisses everyone providing constructive advice because it isn't what he wants to hear. Give up on this one; you won't win, and you'll just end up frustrated.
Kmxu, JBJ2435 and gudugan like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.