Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Recovery from Covid Letter/Certificate [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recovery from Covid Letter/Certificate [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've been given more information on the above. This is for someone who for whatever reason isn't vaccinated and I'm focusing on NHS England, there are variations elsewhere.

Domestic NHS COVID Pass - mainly used for football matches in England but is also used at care homes, special schools and other sensitive settings.
- No vaccine is needed if you keep testing regularly, and that can be Lateral Flow testing. The pass remains valid for 48 hours after inputting each LF resutt.
- If you test positive and input the result then the COVID Pass is replaced by a self-isolation panel, which shows for at least 6 days. After two tests taken from day 6 onwards this can revert to the old QR code. There is an obvious aspect of trust here.
- The pass doesn't actually say you are unvaccinated. Vaccinated people just don't have to do all the testing, but otherwise the pass is identical. The test results are visible on another screen in the NHS app, however
- This is not compatible with the EU Covid Pass.
- The legislation allows for EU passes to be accepted, venues can accept other items of proof alongside the NHS Domestic Covid Pass.
- You can use PCR resutls instead of Lateral Flow but I guess that's a rare exception.

Travel NHS Covid Pass
- To get a travel pass and unvaccinated you essentially need a medical exemption backed by a clinician.
- Pregnant women are able to use MAT B1
- The medical exemption can be long term - e.g myocarditis risk and under 18 years old so unable to get a non mRNA vaccine
- It can also be short term, and in theory recent infection could be used for this, so long as you can get a doctor to confirm this. Realistically you would need a private doctor since I can't see an NHS doctor doing this.
- More obvious short term exemptions for (e.g.) recent organ transplant patients probably would be entertained by an NHS doctor
- This clinical letter or MAT B1 plus application form has to go an address provided by 119 for veritifcation and then the Domestic COVID pass will appear as above
- NHST&T also provide a letter to confirm that the holder is not able to receive a vaccine for medical reasons, but it won't give the specific reason.
- The above therefore won't change if you turn positive on testing for travel. The letter remains in place, and it's up to the receiving country to decide what it does with the letter and / or test results.

For vaccinated people, from next week the travel pass will take account of Lateral Flow results instead of PCRs in terms of the timings for when infections are deemed to start and end.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From reading that; it’s nothing like the EU system then?

Unvaccinated persons cannot get a Covid pass in the U.K, unlike in the EU where a recent infection issues a EU Digital Covid Certificate permitting travel to various countries.

The Commission envisaged vaccinated, recent infection and recent tests keeping free movement alive because they each issue a EDCC.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hugolover
From reading that; it’s nothing like the EU system then?
Yes, it's quite different, particularly in terms of the more complex way it operates (the above was taken from a 42 page PDF from NHS Digitial / NHSX). For the England Domestic Pass it is essentially easy to get it if unvaccinated, but then unlike much of Europe this pass is only really used at football matches, and I suspect with less than with 100% enforcement, whereas COVID passes in some places in the EU are all embracing in terms of social activities. So the unvaccinated arguably have a much easier time in England compared to say Germany. Whether that's right or wrong is besides the point. Then when you get to travel, the UK approach is both complex and quite a long way off the EU's system, not least because the UK's arrival process takes a different approach to Recovery and the unvaccinated.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I wrote last night it’s just as I thought which goes along with the U.K. not recognising recovered unvaccinated befitting any kind of exemption.

Unvaccinated & recovered maintain a significant element of free movement within the EU, exempting them from testing, quarantines etc.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I'm trying to figure out how soon a physician's note would work under the new CDC guidelines for ending isolation. According to those, it seems like you could in theory fly back on day 6 if you stayed masked the whole time and your symptoms were resolved/non-existent.

However, I'm not sure if airlines have updated their policies - previously you had to attest that you had not had a positive test in the last 10 days.

BTW, I'm not trying to game the system or get away with anything. I work with sending volunteers internationally, and I want to paint a realistic picture of what to expect if they were to test positive on departure.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
I'm trying to figure out how soon a physician's note would work under the new CDC guidelines for ending isolation. According to those, it seems like you could in theory fly back on day 6 if you stayed masked the whole time and your symptoms were resolved/non-existent.

However, I'm not sure if airlines have updated their policies - previously you had to attest that you had not had a positive test in the last 10 days.

BTW, I'm not trying to game the system or get away with anything. I work with sending volunteers internationally, and I want to paint a realistic picture of what to expect if they were to test positive on departure.
If you hear anything definitive please let us know. I read through the cdc and it sounds like 5 days if no symptoms. Although I reached out to AA and they said 10 and I asked for documentation just so I had it and he sent me a Forbes article from December 1st. So it sounds like this particular person didn’t have anything written in stone from AA. I emailed them as well and will see if/when they respond.
AsiaTraveler likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler

The current attestation form doesn't mention anything about a positive test in the past 10 days...

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/c...estation-p.pdf
AsiaTraveler likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 2:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Scotttyd
If you hear anything definitive please let us know. I read through the cdc and it sounds like 5 days if no symptoms. Although I reached out to AA and they said 10 and I asked for documentation just so I had it and he sent me a Forbes article from December 1st. So it sounds like this particular person didn’t have anything written in stone from AA. I emailed them as well and will see if/when they respond.
In this post, it looks like the AA check-in question has been updated to 5 days:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33886073-post11.html
AsiaTraveler likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2
In this post, it looks like the AA check-in question has been updated to 5 days:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33886073-post11.html
thanks! I do wonder why the person I spoke to said they weren't allowed to really give us a day amount.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 5:27 am

This is anecdotal so take it FWIW. I'm in several travel/resort FB groups where several people have tested positive while away and had to quarantine. The positive covid test results and a letter from the doctor clearing you will suffice in lieu of a negative covid test. They have returned to the States on Day 6 under new CDC guidelines.
AsiaTraveler likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 5:45 am

This is the CDC's publication for airlines for what they need to do to evaluate tests / recovery documentation.

http://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Ai...ing_UPDATE.pdf
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by sekhmet101
This is anecdotal so take it FWIW. I'm in several travel/resort FB groups where several people have tested positive while away and had to quarantine. The positive covid test results and a letter from the doctor clearing you will suffice in lieu of a negative covid test. They have returned to the States on Day 6 under new CDC guidelines.
wouldn't that depend on the country the Dr is in? Can someone walk into a clinic on day 6 after testing positive and say "hey doc, US guideline is 5 days isolation, I tested positive 6 days ago, can you write me a letter saying I'm Ok to travel?".
One would think the Dr. would have to go by his own country's guidelines, but I guess that would depend on the Dr.
AsiaTraveler likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by innesst
This is the CDC's publication for airlines for what they need to do to evaluate tests / recovery documentation.

http://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Ai...ing_UPDATE.pdf
Interesting, no time frame specific in that checklist page 5 (aside from the max 90 days positive test)
polinka likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by theplayer
wouldn't that depend on the country the Dr is in? Can someone walk into a clinic on day 6 after testing positive and say "hey doc, US guideline is 5 days isolation, I tested positive 6 days ago, can you write me a letter saying I'm Ok to travel?".
One would think the Dr. would have to go by his own country's guidelines, but I guess that would depend on the Dr.
I know of people in St Lucia required to stay in isolation for 10 days.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Thanks for all the helpful context as we navigate new regulations. Anecdotal evidence is about all I hoped for at this point so this is super helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.