Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

CDC pre-departure lawsuit cases updates?

CDC pre-departure lawsuit cases updates?

Old May 8, 2022, 6:02 am

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I don't think they're necessarily connected. The focus has been on hospitalizations and deaths (rather than cases) for quite a while now.
Serious question....whose focus are you talking about? Seems whenever I dip into the media accounts or "news" from the administration the banner headline is still "Cases are Up!", which is then sometimes followed by a mention that hospitalizations and deaths aren't rising in the same fashion.
Old May 8, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Don't know if there's much new here, but a summary of some people's thoughts on the mask-mandate case and appeal.

https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...mandate-appeal

"The definition of “sanitation.” An old court case that involves an underwear manufacturer. Whether people had a fair chance to express their opinions about wearing masks on planes. These disparate factors are in the spotlight as the Biden administration challenges a U.S. District Court ruling that overturned a federal mask mandate on public transportation. The outcome could determine the limits of federal public health officials’ power not only during the COVID-19 crisis but also when the next pandemic hits."
Old May 8, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I don't think they're necessarily connected. The focus has been on hospitalizations and deaths (rather than cases) for quite a while now.

What I'd love to see is for someone in Congress (probably the Senate, given how easy it is for one Senator to muck things up) to say, "You want the money, then drop this stupid testing rule." Probably won't happen, but I can dream, right?
I agree they're not logically connected - and the focus should be off of simple case count now. But I'm thinking, if the Administration is putting out "gloom and doom" type of messaging to lobby for funding to "fight COVID" so to speak, from an optics perspective they might be hesitant to drop the testing requirement for fear of looking inconsistent. Maybe I'm just pessimistic! lol

I hope that dream comes true though!!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I'm thinking, if the Administration is putting out "gloom and doom" type of messaging to lobby for funding to "fight COVID" so to speak, from an optics perspective they might be hesitant to drop the testing requirement for fear of looking inconsistent. Maybe I'm just pessimistic! lol
Being seen as inconsistent is clearly not among the government's concerns, as the past 2 years have shown. 😆
84fiero likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
I have two sets (from different manufacturers) of the FREE covid test kits mailed to me by the US GOV.
Before my next trip back to the USA from Europe I plan on using two covid test kits (one from each supplier) as a “dry run” before doing the real test. If I test negative on each unofficial test, but, positive on the official test would i be safe to conclude that it was a false positive?
Some airlines are more concerned with one’s submission of the “CDC attestation form” than seeing that one actually tested negative.
So, if I “attest” that I tested negative would I be making a false statement.—I was negative 2/3 on tests taken in close proximity of each other.
A general question re GOVID testing, for the supervised (via ZOOM) testing would false positives be less likely using a “cursory” swab vs deep swabbing?
As long as you have an acceptable negative test result to satisfy boarding requirements, what exactly is false about the attestation?
Old May 8, 2022, 4:46 pm

I feel like if your overseas at this point, even if you test positive, maybe just keep testing until negative? I’m sure after a few tests one of them would come back negative
Old May 8, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by michael1023
I feel like if your overseas at this point, even if you test positive, maybe just keep testing until negative? I’m sure after a few tests one of them would come back negative
I've thought of that, but depending where you are, could be a giant PITA
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I've thought of that, but depending where you are, could be a giant PITA
true. In my instance in Ecuador, the rapid tests are about 20 a pop, so nothing too exorbitant. And I don’t think if positive they put you into some sort of quarantine.
Old May 8, 2022, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by michael1023
But how many tests would it take, and how many days/weeks would it take? If you keep testing positive for 2-3 weeks, the additional accommodation & food expenses would be significant.
Old May 9, 2022, 9:06 am

But how many tests would it take, and how many days/weeks would it take? If you keep testing positive for 2-3 weeks, the additional accommodation & food expenses would be significant.
i mean if your still testing positive after 10 days, you would just use your positive test and a letter of recovery route, and in my case, id bring my laptop to work remote, which i know wont or cant work for everyone, while also staying in family in laws house, so no expenses for food, housing etc...i guess this specific "test everyday until it shows negative" route is easier in my specific situation..
Old May 9, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by venk

Would YOU voluntarily fly if you were infected with Covid (with no more than cold symptoms) as opposed to a common cold? A honest answer would indicate the answers to many of your questions and where you are coming from?
Ad hominem aside, I personally wouldn't fly when sick at all - COVID or otherwise - unless it was a dire emergency.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 10:31 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by socalflying
Don't know if there's much new here, but a summary of some people's thoughts on the mask-mandate case and appeal.

https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...mandate-appeal

"The definition of “sanitation.” An old court case that involves an underwear manufacturer. Whether people had a fair chance to express their opinions about wearing masks on planes. These disparate factors are in the spotlight as the Biden administration challenges a U.S. District Court ruling that overturned a federal mask mandate on public transportation. The outcome could determine the limits of federal public health officials’ power not only during the COVID-19 crisis but also when the next pandemic hits."
I mean, I feel like there's a strong case that the initial imposition of the rule was within the government's power. It's the continual extensions of it with no formal consultation process where I think they went afoul of the rules. Put differently, I think they stretched the "good cause" exception until it broke.

The bigger issue, one that has blown up in a lot of places over the course of the pandemic, is that "emergency" clauses aren't generally intended to cover multi-year situations. They're intended to cover things for a few weeks, or perhaps a month or two (as was arguably justifiable in early 2020, as it took time to get rules and infrastructure set up for remote meetings), before the legislature can come back into session. Please pardon the turn of phrase, but at some point the "emergency" is no longer "emergent" and regular processes have to be allowed to come back into play at least as far as standing rules go. In this case, that means that the CDC really should have initiated public comment at some point last year (I'd say after the August extension would have been a good point for that), even if only with an eye towards a rule which would produce metrics by which to revise the mask mandate. This at least creates an impression that a given agency or executive "doesn't want to be bothered" with legislative processes, and that's a problem.
tai4de2, ksucats, 84fiero and 3 others like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 6:33 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I mean, I feel like there's a strong case that the initial imposition of the rule was within the government's power. It's the continual extensions of it with no formal consultation process where I think they went afoul of the rules. Put differently, I think they stretched the "good cause" exception until it broke.

The bigger issue, one that has blown up in a lot of places over the course of the pandemic, is that "emergency" clauses aren't generally intended to cover multi-year situations. They're intended to cover things for a few weeks, or perhaps a month or two (as was arguably justifiable in early 2020, as it took time to get rules and infrastructure set up for remote meetings), before the legislature can come back into session. Please pardon the turn of phrase, but at some point the "emergency" is no longer "emergent" and regular processes have to be allowed to come back into play at least as far as standing rules go. In this case, that means that the CDC really should have initiated public comment at some point last year (I'd say after the August extension would have been a good point for that), even if only with an eye towards a rule which would produce metrics by which to revise the mask mandate. This at least creates an impression that a given agency or executive "doesn't want to be bothered" with legislative processes, and that's a problem.
Well said indeed!

More pressure on ending the testing requirement...which will likely fall on deaf ears; but can't hurt to try:

https://thegate.boardingarea.com/urg...m=BoardingArea

Greater than 260 entities — which include airlines, airport authorities multinational lodging companies, cruise lines, national associations, convention and visitors bureaus, and companies — have sent a joint open letter to the coronavirus response coordinator of The White House asking for the requirement of testing inbound international passengers who have been fully vaccinated to be terminated as soon as possible.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:46 pm

Something that popped into my head (I have no evidence whatsoever to support this): Perhaps the requirement will be dropped around Memorial Day? That's the start of the summer travel season, and dropping it around then would give Biden an opportunity to crow about how he's saving your summer vacation.
N1120A and 84fiero like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:58 am

Something that popped into my head (I have no evidence whatsoever to support this): Perhaps the requirement will be dropped around Memorial Day? That's the start of the summer travel season, and dropping it around then would give Biden an opportunity to crow about how he's saving your summer vacation.
This tweet does not make me feel hopeful for that timeline...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.