Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

TSA no longer enforcing US mask mandate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA no longer enforcing US mask mandate

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Interestingly enough Biden said today people need to make their own choice while Xavier Becerra said it’s likely they will challenge it in court.

next few days will be fun. If the government gets a stay while the appeal is heard I’ll get the popcorn ready.
hahahaha

Becerra must think people are stupid. It's obvious this mandate died exactly the way his boss wanted it to die — by someone else's hand.

If Biden wanted to challenge this, he would've requested a stay 10 seconds after yesterday's ruling.
LETTERBOY, volabam, Xlr and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by PeteyNice
How is it not selfish? You are choosing to place your comfort above the health of others. It is the very definition of selfish.
I doubt there is anyone here who is so "selfish" that, if asked by an immunocompromised person to help them out by wearing a mask, would refuse. But expecting literally the entire public to accommodate the theoretical possibility that there may be an immunocompromised person within breathing distance is a bridge too far. Those arguing that morality and ethics require the rest of the world undertake an unnatural behavior just in case they're near is what is the "very definition of selfish"(And, I would respectfully opine, insanity.)

It would be interesting to know how many of the people trotting out the immunocompromised are themselves so afflicted as opposed to concern trolling to push the viewpoint that everyone should have been forced to wear masks forever.
Rare, cruisr, tai4de2 and 8 others like this.

Last edited by volabam; Apr 19, 2022 at 4:42 pm Reason: correct verb form, slightly adjust tone
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
On ABC news tonight they said masks are still required at LGA and JFK.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Justice Dept. to appeal decision lifting mask mandate on planes, trains if CDC deems rule necessary
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...ains-rcna25099

Last edited by vanillabean; Apr 19, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Justice Dept. to appeal decision lifting mask mandate on planes, trains if CDC deems rule necessary
If the CDC hadn't decided it was necessary, why was it still in effect?

Take the second link to OMNI before you get the thread locked.
volabam likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
As an example. Instead of taking a non-stop SEA-EWR or SEA-ORD-EWR or whatever, I booked SEA-YYZ and YYZ-EWR as separate tickets.
The YYZ-EWR segment would require a covid19 test to enter the United States, would it not?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:01 pm

Until there is widely available treatment for immunocompromised people, you will continue to be selfish.
I am confused! Did these people become immunocompromised with the advent ofCovid? I would have thought their condition existed before. How did they protect from the person on the plane with the common cold, a hacking cough or the beginning of the flu? Thinking about it—. Absolutely amazing how they learned to deal with all those diseases but Covid - they suddenly turned dumb!
Tim_T, ksucats, 84fiero and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
If the CDC hadn't decided it was necessary, why was it still in effect?

Take the second link to OMNI before you get the thread locked.
Government inertia? We're talking about Washington DC where everything and everyone sticks around well past their usefulness.

I mean...we still have TSA waging war on water.
cruisr, LETTERBOY, volabam and 1 others like this.

Last edited by stupidhead; Apr 19, 2022 at 5:15 pm
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by stupidhead
Government inertia? We're talking about Washington DC where everything and everyone sticks around well past their usefulness.
It's not inertia. Just last week, the CDC affirmatively stated that masks were necessary and extended the mandate. "The science" didn't suddenly change over the weekend. It's insane that the CDC extended the mandate last week but didn't even ask for a stay yesterday. Pure theater, in every direction.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Good luck putting the toothpaste back in the tube
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:32 pm

All I want to know is, given Covid has killed more people than 9/11, can we keep our shoes on now? I really gross out at taking my shoes off.
volabam likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by whitewave
All I want to know is, given Covid has killed more people than 9/11, can we keep our shoes on now? I really gross out at taking my shoes off.
Blame Richard Reid, not covid, for that one.
LETTERBOY and whitewave like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
They are not asking for a stay, so the mandate is gone (for now) they just want to appeal the ruling so they can put it back in the future hence the appeal. Any such appeal won’t take place before the mandates was due to expire so my read is for this round it’s over. But the CDC wants to be able to reinstate it later.
volabam and Xlr like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
The immunocompromised need to take care of themselves up to and including not flying if they are that vulnerable. They should also stop demanding everyone accommodate their medical condition in perpetuity and insulting people who disagree.

And based on my recent experiences flying Canadian carriers you may find the mask requirement is not as strictly enforced as you might hope.
Would not catering to others needs apply in all situations when flying, for instance not serving peanuts?

For me I can choose to wear a mask or not wear a mask which seems adequate.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Apr 19, 2022 at 6:25 pm
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by stupidhead

I mean...we still have TSA waging war on water.
Dihydrogen monoxide - both addictive substance and hazard to aviation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.