Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

TSA no longer enforcing US mask mandate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA no longer enforcing US mask mandate

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by fransknorge
TravelForum mentionned plane incidents, not passengers rage or passenger incidents.
Were pilots or FAs getting into fights before the mask ruling?
84fiero, LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
TravelForum mentionned plane incidents, not passengers rage or passenger incidents.
Word salad is fun.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Yeah I'm sure you thought he was referring to a 737 and a 777 fighting it out in midair over whether they had to put giant masks on their airplane noses.
LETTERBOY, volabam and Repooc17 like this.
Old May 8, 2022, 10:16 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Communicable viruses have quite the history of spreading along busy transport centers/routes, and there is no good reason to conclude that this would not remain the case with the spread of Covid-19 infections. And the TSA’s anti-mask mandate applicable to travelers has been in place before and since the Florida judge killed the mask-required mandate in mid-April 2022. But now the number and proportion of people wearing masks at TSA-staffed airports has declined such that it would require a suspension of disbelief to think that zero cases have to do with people no longer masking as much on public transportation in the US now as was the case 30 days prior.
I suspect what a lot of people are "actually" thinking is more along the lines of "there are enough other vectors, etc. out there for the virus to spread freely that trying to assert a direct connection between dropping the mask mandate on planes and rising cases is dubious, since any 'new wave' of the virus would have innumerable other vectors through which to spread".
LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 4:17 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I suspect what a lot of people are "actually" thinking is more along the lines of "there are enough other vectors, etc. out there for the virus to spread freely that trying to assert a direct connection between dropping the mask mandate on planes and rising cases is dubious, since any 'new wave' of the virus would have innumerable other vectors through which to spread".
The “might as well not do anything” excuse.
GUWonder and MarcusP like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by vanillabean
"Two weeks to slow the spread," they said ... 785 days ago.
ksucats, BLV, N1120A and 11 others like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: United 1k, American Express Platinum
Originally Posted by vanillabean
As opposed to the screen door on a submarine theory? Absolutely comical watching people in cloth masks halfway down their faces at this point.

Last edited by l etoile; May 10, 2022 at 2:41 pm Reason: Removed comment that could be construed as a personal attack
Old May 9, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Today, I will shave for the first time in about 2 years and 2 months. Never had grown a beard in my life, but the first time I was required to put one of those stupid things on my face, I felt the need to protest. Not shaving was my little protest. My initial thought was I would let it grow until I could get on a plane again without a mask. I only expected that to last a couple months. After about 6 months, I broke down and trimmed it a bit. I have trimmed it probably a half dozen times over the 2 years, but still have had a pretty full (and not very well kept) beard. Tomorrow is my first flight since the mandates were overturned.
LETTERBOY, the810, volabam and 5 others like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by ksucats
Today, I will shave for the first time in about 2 years and 2 months. Never had grown a beard in my life, but the first time I was required to put one of those stupid things on my face, I felt the need to protest. Not shaving was my little protest. My initial thought was I would let it grow until I could get on a plane again without a mask. I only expected that to last a couple months. After about 6 months, I broke down and trimmed it a bit. I have trimmed it probably a half dozen times over the 2 years, but still have had a pretty full (and not very well kept) beard. Tomorrow is my first flight since the mandates were overturned.
Congrats. Mail the trimmings to your governor. haha
Old May 11, 2022, 9:34 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
As noted...

Unruly air passenger rates declined in the U.S. after mask mandates were suspended
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/05/u...incidents.html

I still think the mask mandate was sound policy, but the numbers do not lie.

Originally Posted by TomMM
Europeans are more trusting.
Lolololololol

Originally Posted by TravelForum
I remember several on here predicting doom and gloom when the plane mask mandate ended, that pilots would be dropping like flies, calling in sick and schedules (delays/cancellations) would go to hell.

I haven’t heard of that being the case at all. In fact, on a side note, plane incidents have decreased significantly over the past 2 1/2 weeks.
Well, there are major disruptions, but mainly due to a major pilot shortage that the airline decided to create for themselves.
the810 and volabam like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 12, 2022 at 12:00 pm Reason: To comply with FT rule #7
Old May 14, 2022, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ksucats
When I saw people with big beards and masks I always thought it would be bit less restrictive since the mask didn't fit tight to their face. Do you notice better air movement with the mask over a beard compared to clean shaven? I don't grow a lot of facial hair and my wife HATES when I do so I never got to really try it.
Old May 15, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by mtofell
When I saw people with big beards and masks I always thought it would be bit less restrictive since the mask didn't fit tight to their face. Do you notice better air movement with the mask over a beard compared to clean shaven? I don't grow a lot of facial hair and my wife HATES when I do so I never got to really try it.
I had a big old beard and yeah, it probably made a bit of a difference. It was still miserable to wear one though. I reused the same single ply cloth mask all along and by the end, it was pretty stretched out, so that helped even more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.