Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

TSA no longer enforcing US mask mandate

TSA no longer enforcing US mask mandate

Old Apr 23, 22, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by ksucats View Post
I am a little jealous that my wife got to take a flight before me after this mandate is finally over. (she only travels about once a year without me & I travel all of the time without her) I dropped her off at 5:15 for her 6:00 am flight this morning and had to get out of the car to poke my head in. It was great - not a mask in sight.
Same - I missed it as most previous flight was after the last goalpost move before the ruling. Looking forward to next flight now!
ksucats, LETTERBOY and js1993 like this.
Old Apr 23, 22, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by volabam View Post
And with some hope, traffic and revenue to decrease at those airports, motivating them to reevaluate "the science"
You mean, LAX? LOL

Agreed. At this point, pragmatism and the bottom line will determine the duration of these measures. If I recall, initially the CDC guided to 10-day isolation for the deadly Omi pathogen? Well, it quickly had morphed into 5 days, right? Now, it's just wear your mask and be really really careful (not that I've read or followed anything the CDC has had to say in quite some time)?
LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old Apr 23, 22, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
You mean, LAX? LOL

Agreed. At this point, pragmatism and the bottom line will determine the duration of these measures. If I recall, initially the CDC guided to 10-day isolation for the deadly Omi pathogen? Well, it quickly had morphed into 5 days, right? Now, it's just wear your mask and be really really careful (not that I've read or followed anything the CDC has had to say in quite some time)?
Sure, LAX, ORD, LGA/JFK it probably isn't going to be noticeable. Airport or bar/restaurant franchise owners might be fighting to keep the mandates from a revenue standpoint LOL. Seems like a lot of he traffic there was from people looking for a respite from the masks and to pregame if they had the misfortune to be flying AA that day.
ksucats, LETTERBOY and Visconti like this.
Old Apr 23, 22, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Having traveled out of LGA this week, with the supposed NY state "mandate", no enforcements (as expected), mask wearings around 50/50, with some areas of the airport higher in masking and other areas higher in no masking.

Got to chat with a few pilots on an airside bus from C to D, and they were estastic with mask rules no longer in place

Great to be back after two long years!

Originally Posted by sfgiants13 View Post
Looks like BART might be bringing back masks. At least from what I’ve read in the media. Wonder if that extends county wide to transit or just Bart.
I was in SF last month, and some lady took a picture of me as she was exiting the train. She came from all the way from the other side of the car, and we were the only two in the same car until she exited. I hope she took satisfactions in reporting me.
Old Apr 23, 22, 1:35 pm

LAX has a VIP terminal. I’m willing to bet that area won’t see any masks any time soon.
Old Apr 23, 22, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
I was in SF last month, and some lady took a picture of me as she was exiting the train. She came from all the way from the other side of the car, and we were the only two in the same car until she exited. I hope she took satisfactions in reporting me.
You’re such a disgusting, disease carrying animal that she had to get closer to take a picture
Old Apr 23, 22, 8:54 pm

SF brings the crazy to another level. I avoid that place like the plague.

I thought the vaccines worked
Old Apr 23, 22, 9:44 pm

Having traveled out of LGA this week, with the supposed NY state "mandate", no enforcements (as expected), mask wearings around 50/50, with some areas of the airport higher in masking and other areas higher in no masking.

Got to chat with a few pilots on an airside bus from C to D, and they were estastic with mask rules no longer in place

Great to be back after two long years!

She was so afraid of the rona that she got up close to you to take a picture to report you. Either that or she was really deathly afraid and deserves a medal for sacrificing herself so her report might save the millions of others you will infect if not stopped. History will tell.
Old Apr 24, 22, 4:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I'm convinced that the extreme ends on the mask debate are complete loons. The self-appointed hall monitors calling out and reporting anyone whose not strapped into mask. The delusional freedom fighters challenging people who are wearing masks and calling them sheep.

In the absence of a specific rule I wear a mask when it suits me. It's my face and I can do what I want with it. If you don't like it keep your thoughts to yourself.
GUWonder, the810, volabam and 8 others like this.
Old Apr 24, 22, 5:21 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by stupidhead View Post
SF brings the crazy to another level. I avoid that place like the plague.

I thought the vaccines worked
I suspect you avoid it more aggressively than the plague ;-)

Sadly, there's no vaccine against infectious insanity...

[Alright, done poking fun at SF...for now...]
Old Apr 26, 22, 8:11 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Lifetime Platinum Elite, AA Gold, Delta MM Silver
Until it is confirmed "gone" I will have to mask

My wife has MS and her medication puts her in the high risk category. I get that everyone thinks it is "gone" or "over" but it is not and despite us being boostered already twice, and us having successfully avoided getting sick throughout the pandemic to date, we just can't afford the risk.
I am less concerned on the plane, but am very concerned in crowded spaces (airports, public transport, indoor venues) and will continue to mask up on flights and all other places where I simply can't know if someone could infect me.
squiddz likes this.
Old Apr 26, 22, 10:29 am

Programs: United Silver, American, Delta, Southwest
Yip Yip Hooray!
volabam likes this.
Old Apr 26, 22, 10:31 am

I have traveled by air over 200,000 miles domestically since May of 2020. I had Covid in Feb of 2020 (confirmed by antibody test when it was available as tests were not available when I was sick)
Got vaccinated as soon as it was available in April 2021. My wife (fully vaccinated) got Delta variant after Thanksgiving 2021 .....so I decided to get boosted in mid December of 2021. I got Omicron January 12th of 2022 so guess what?? As much as we want to be proactive it doesn't really matter in terms of avoidance and precautions taken there is a lot of luck involved.
Masks can work to help to some degree from what I have read but only really the N95's (which are effective for only a couple hours) as cloth masks have been found to be less then 20% effective and surgical masks less then 50% effective.(all percentages are if the mask is worn correctly which doesn't really happen does it?) In my many hours of flying the last two years I would say that less then 10% of people wore N95's, 20% wore surgical, and the rest wore cloth mask which was the majority, meaning protection by wearing a mask is not great unless everyone had a N95 worn correctly and changed it every couple hours.(didn't happen)
So getting down to basics you are overall very limited in your overall protection from other people wearing masks in the airport or on a plane. I have to say I am ecstatic not to have to wear a mask on my first flight since this ruling occurred! .Everyone can get nearly the same protection wearing there own N95 masks as having the majority of flyers wearing a cloth mask next to them.
Old Apr 27, 22, 8:30 am

Programs: DL PM
So I just read an article recently with Fauci saying that we are pretty much out of the pandemic phase. If our top medical guy is saying that, how much of a case does the administration and the CDC have for keeping the mask mandate? (and testing while we’re at it?)
Old Apr 27, 22, 8:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
So I just read an article recently with Fauci saying that we are pretty much out of the pandemic phase. If our top medical guy is saying that, how much of a case does the administration and the CDC have for keeping the mask mandate? (and testing while we’re at it?)
On that note has anyone heard of anything at all since the announcement of the admin appealing it? It honestly seems more and more likely that the CDC will come out and say something along the lines of hospitalizations haven't increased much blah blah blah 2 weeks did the trick so we will let the mandate expire. In that case the ruling is moot so let's just vacate the ruling so the CDC can try to bring them back in the future. At the airport I see less and less wearing masks as the days go on. Some places it's only a small handful of people where somewhere like Seattle it's still only maybe 30-40% depending on the day. Highly doubt you can bring something like that back barring an absolute catastrophe for the vaccinated.

Search this Thread