Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

TSA no longer enforcing US mask mandate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA no longer enforcing US mask mandate

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
I dunno..... there's some "survey" being thrown around today that says "a majority of Americans" want people to mask up when traveling. I'd sure like to know who they polled because I'm hard-pressed to find 10%. Even most of the VERY pro-mask FT crowd seems to welcome the end (once they were finished bashing the judge in every way possible, of course).
They probably surveyed 1000 employees of the CDC mask cult who fly once every decade or so. Washington's so completely out of touch with the rest of the country that it's not even funny. I haven't needed to go read the Onion because this administration satirizes itself.

I thought there was a bill in the Senate repealing the mandate.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:51 pm

I dunno..... there's some "survey" being thrown around today that says "a majority of Americans" want people to mask up when traveling. I'd sure like to know who they polled because I'm hard-pressed to find 10%. Even most of the VERY pro-mask FT crowd seems to welcome the end (once they were finished bashing the judge in every way possible, of course).
I want to see that survey repeated with people actually in airports. The results will be much different.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by stupidhead
They probably surveyed 1000 employees of the CDC mask cult who fly once every decade or so. Washington's so completely out of touch with the rest of the country that it's not even funny. I haven't needed to go read the Onion because this administration satirizes itself.

I thought there was a bill in the Senate repealing the mandate.
It passed the Senate, but Pelosi won't bring it to the floor in the House. Gee, wonder why.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by t325
I want to see that survey repeated with people actually in airports. The results will be much different.
We don't even need a survey.

Just count the number of people wearing masks vs. not, and do a random sampling of airports where it is optional. The most accurate indicator of what people actually want is the action(s) that people choose to take when given a choice.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:32 pm

It was a political poll from Morning Consult, and a couple others I think, that they determine things like Bidens approval rating so it goes without saying that the poll isnt a bunch of Biden lovers as he was underwater. However the people that fly with any regularity are a very small minority of Americans as most people never fly or fly once or twice a year and are probably less likely to care.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by TravelForum
From my reading, it goes to the 11th Circuit in Atlanta, which is conservative and if they lose and appeal again, it goes to the Supreme Court (if they take it).
Not only that, but the judge drew heavily from the Supreme Court ruling striking down vaccine mandates. The Supremes will pay attention to that.

Originally Posted by TravelForum
Bottom line, very low likelihood the CDC succeeds here.
Agreed. I don't see how this ends well for them. They're just wasting time (& my tax money).
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:04 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Given the very positive response to its ending, the fact that most people seem to want the choice and not be mandatory, it feels like a PR disaster by CDC to keep insisting on mandatory masking right now.

Look at wider picture and the risk is you burn political capital and public goodwill on an issue where currently the risk isn't that great, and for what?

This feels like a disaster in making - the airlines and public are done with mandatory masking - keeping this going will be a political gift to opponents as it becomes a 'we trust you yo do right thing while Biden tells you what you must do and controls you' issue. The optics are terrible.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:29 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jimlad48
This feels like a disaster in making - the airlines and public are done with mandatory masking - keeping this going will be a political gift to opponents as it becomes a 'we trust you yo do right thing while Biden tells you what you must do and controls you' issue. The optics are terrible.
Something stinks about the poll showing "Most Americans Favor Continued Masking on Planes". The explanation a few posts up doesn't convince me. Sure, FTers are not your average citizen but entire planes of people were "burning" masks like bras when the announcement came out yesterday. Biden admin. would be crazy to fight this but as of right now it appears they are going to. Is there really a world in which we are forced back into mask wearing immediately due to some legal challenge? Are the Dems (and more specifically Biden) really that tone-deaf?
LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by stupidhead
They're also trying to abolish Title 42 because "Covid's not an emergency anymore."

Why is the government even allowed to appeal an unfavorable judgment? When the government (a court) rules against the government, what does that say about the government's case to begin with?
I mean, lower courts do "odd" things all the time. It wasn't called the "Ninth Circus Court of Appeals" for no reason. It's why we have an appeals process: Otherwise, lower-tier judges might not feel constrained to act within the law in one direction or another. The only real exception is the double jeopardy rule (which mostly just stops the government from appealing against an acquittal). In a good part of the world, the prosecution can appeal just like the defense can.

Originally Posted by js1993
DOJ appealed because the CDC said "an order requiring masking in the transportation corridor remains necessary to protect the public health," but they didn't request a stay?

Who are they trying to fool with this nonsense?
As someone else said, I'm fairly certain that this is about the power to impose the mandate in the abstract. Absent pursuing a stay (which I think they've implicitly conceded would be I suspect that if the CDC could walk away with a ruling that said "This was nominally within your power but you can't evade standard rulemaking powers indefinitely under the guise of an emergency" they might be just as happy to do so as long as they retain the power to react in an emergency.

That is, of course, probably the biggest risk to their position: That the court doesn't just curtail their ability to do things (either ripping up the good cause exception or greatly constraining it...which is where things went with the eviction moratorium in particular.

Something stinks about the poll showing "Most Americans Favor Continued Masking on Planes". The explanation a few posts up doesn't convince me. Sure, FTers are not your average citizen but entire planes of people were "burning" masks like bras when the announcement came out yesterday. Biden admin. would be crazy to fight this but as of right now it appears they are going to. Is there really a world in which we are forced back into mask wearing immediately due to some legal challenge? Are the Dems (and more specifically Biden) really that tone-deaf?
​​​​​​​
So, there's an easy way to square this circle: A lot of Americans support the mandate, but they're also not traveling a lot. Those who are traveling are less in favor. The difference is that, if I had to guess, there are a lot of folks who either (1) want the mandate there because either they or someone in their circle is immunocompromised or otherwise at risk, but because of said risks they're also not traveling; or (2) support the mandate in the abstract because it doesn't really affect them. Put differently, a question comparing support/opposition WRT the mandate with travel frequency would have produced interesting crosstabs. A third explanation is that you have folks abstractly supporting insert-policy-here...but also not shedding tears if it gets changed.

As to the other bit, I don't think it would be happening immediately. "Eventually", perhaps. But not in the short term. The government didn't seek a stay, and the longer this goes on the less likely it is that the government tries to "pop" it back into place (not that I'm convinced that such an effort would go terribly well, particularly if it came out of the blue).

One thing I'm wondering right now is how well the process is (or isn't) going at JFK, etc., with New York trying to reimpose mask rules. I figure it's not much of an issue elsewhere in the state, but at JFK/LGA if the TSA isn't "putting stick about" with the rules, I *really* don't want to think about how folks transiting with a connection between two...less masky...areas (say, Ohio and Florida) due to a clumsy connection is likely to take such an "ask" right now.

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Apr 21, 2022 at 12:48 am
Old Apr 21, 2022, 1:06 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
The government didn't seek a stay, and the longer this goes on the less likely it is that the government tries to "pop" it back into place (not that I'm convinced that such an effort would go terribly well, particularly if it came out of the blue).
Ah, I missed this part of it. Yeah, I think as traveling life gets back to normal and assuming there isn't some big uptick in cases, I just can't imagine anyone really pursuing something to move backwards. Especially as we draw closer to the mid-terms. I can now see the strategy from an optics standpoint. Fighting to "help keep everyone safe" until the bitter end. IMO, this will get slogged down in the courts for a while and then quietly go away. It's actually a pretty good hedge against future Covid variants. If there is an uptick, the Biden administration can claim they tried. If there isn't they just let it go away and no one will ever remember. With the modern day news cycle will anyone even remember this a week from now? (assuming it's not really carried out).
Old Apr 21, 2022, 1:24 am

Depends on the question.

I too want other people to continue masking for the foreseeable future. However, I don't want to do it myself.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
I don't think the opinion polls bear out reality - here in the UK we were told that the opinion polls were sharply divided or had pro mask majority - yet on ground masks have all but vanished. In London over last few months I'd say that its down to one or two in every 20 people. Its become a total non issue for people, who have quickly gotten rid of them. Polls exist to give answers to authors who need stories!
Old Apr 21, 2022, 2:31 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Depends on the question.

I too want other people to continue masking for the foreseeable future. However, I don't want to do it myself.
I believe that Tom Lehrer once hit this nail on the head:

In the alternative, Yes, Prime Minister also got to the point with polls:
volabam and js1993 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 4:37 am

I just flew out of AGP this morning to LPA, masks were compulsory here until yesterday and the Spanish are good rule followers, I expected the airport to have mainly masked people walking about given how recent the change was and how long the mandates have been in force.

We strode in unmasked and it felt very strange and was constantly waiting to be told to mask up even though I have been looking forward to this for the last 699 days, I would say 60-70 % of people were unmasked in the airport which after such a long time having to wear them and being a very busy place I was surprised.

Like others have said here, these polls have become very politically motivated and reality on the ground is very different.

We still had to mask up on the flight unfortunately.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
ISo, there's an easy way to square this circle: A lot of Americans support the mandate, but they're also not traveling a lot. Those who are traveling are less in favor. The difference is that, if I had to guess, there are a lot of folks who either (1) want the mandate there because either they or someone in their circle is immunocompromised or otherwise at risk, but because of said risks they're also not traveling; or (2) support the mandate in the abstract because it doesn't really affect them. Put differently, a question comparing support/opposition WRT the mandate with travel frequency would have produced interesting crosstabs. A third explanation is that you have folks abstractly supporting insert-policy-here...but also not shedding tears if it gets changed.
Exactly — there's also likely a high degree of overlap between people who are pro-mask mandate in this survey and are also too terrified of Covid to travel at all.
ksucats, 84fiero, volabam and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.