Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

TSA no longer enforcing US mask mandate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA no longer enforcing US mask mandate

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:15 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
DOJ appealed because the CDC said "an order requiring masking in the transportation corridor remains necessary to protect the public health," but they didn't request a stay?

Who are they trying to fool with this nonsense?
tai4de2, ksucats, 84fiero and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by js1993
DOJ appealed because the CDC said "an order requiring masking in the transportation corridor remains necessary to protect the public health," but they didn't request a stay?

The progressive base, blue check marks on Twitter, and probably those over in Omni.
tai4de2, ksucats, 84fiero and 8 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:18 pm

They're also trying to abolish Title 42 because "Covid's not an emergency anymore."

Why is the government even allowed to appeal an unfavorable judgment? When the government (a court) rules against the government, what does that say about the government's case to begin with?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:41 pm

this whole thing is such a political mess, and I'm loving every minute of it.
MKE YX, ksucats and VCURamFan like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Let the fireworks begin...

CDC asks Justice Department to appeal ruling that lifted travel mask mandate (cnbc.com)
volabam likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
From the above link:

“CDC believes this is a lawful order, well within CDC’s legal authority to protect public health. CDC continues to recommend that people wear masks in all indoor public transportation settings,” the agency wrote in a statement adding that it will continue to monitor public health conditions to “determine whether such an order remains necessary.”

The new appeal is largely expected to have no immediate effect given that the Justice Department has not yet made an attempt to block Mizelle’s order. The appeal process is slated to unfold over a number of months.

[mod edit]

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 22, 2022 at 2:43 pm Reason: Redacted OMNI comment
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL
Your points are interesting, and make me curious what the play is here. Maybe it is as simple as the CDC thinks it's necessary, so we'll fight for it. But I always got the sense that they knew it was politically untenable and wanted it gone, but wanted it gone as a matter of executive decision.
Credit where credit is due - your prediction held up better than my prediction. I just can’t understand where they’re going with this or what the logic is. If they had immediately went for a stay and had their partners keep enforcing in the meantime yesterday, that would have made sense. If they had quietly used this as an excuse to let the mask mandate lapse and wait for a better time to fight this battle, that would have made sense.

This middle ground compromise position doesn’t make sense to me. It just seems like the most likely outcome of this strategy is that they end up with the ability to impose mask mandates struck down completely nationwide, with not even any mask mandate enforcement in the meantime as consolation for their struggle. I suppose they could disagree, and think they have a good chance of success, and thus simply be trying to preserve their authority, but even then - surely they agree they’d have a better chance later when there’s a strong imminent threat?

I have no sense and no information to add as to where this goes next. I’m confused.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:00 pm
Suspended

It's so amateurish and absurd it's hard to tell which outcome they want. Do they want the mandate to go away, thus no request for a stay, or are they hoping a leftist judge catches the case and issues a stay sua sponte, so Biden can try to deflect blame ("We didn't ask for a stay")?
From my reading, it goes to the 11th Circuit in Atlanta, which is conservative and if they lose and appeal again, it goes to the Supreme Court (if they take it).

All that to say, not sure they can fish for a lefty judge in its current state.

Bottom line, very low likelihood the CDC succeeds here.

With a war going on, inflation and gas out of control, massive supply chain issues, and the list goes on, I cannot figure out why joe would spend so much political capital on a complete (essentially) non issue in which 85% of people don’t want it.

It’s extremely odd to me. You’re going to get smoked in November, why not focus on at least one relevant thing that may help lessen the coming election blowout?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord
Credit where credit is due - your prediction held up better than my prediction. I just can’t understand where they’re going with this or what the logic is. If they had immediately went for a stay and had their partners keep enforcing in the meantime yesterday, that would have made sense. If they had quietly used this as an excuse to let the mask mandate lapse and wait for a better time to fight this battle, that would have made sense.

This middle ground compromise position doesn’t make sense to me. It just seems like the most likely outcome of this strategy is that they end up with the ability to impose mask mandates struck down completely nationwide, with not even any mask mandate enforcement in the meantime as consolation for their struggle. I suppose they could disagree, and think they have a good chance of success, and thus simply be trying to preserve their authority, but even then - surely they agree they’d have a better chance later when there’s a strong imminent threat?

I have no sense and no information to add as to where this goes next. I’m confused.
Your points still stand, and I agree with your confusion here. There is definitely real risk that they actually end up constraining the very power they are looking to preserve, with just about no political upside, and no public health upside if that happens.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by TravelForum
From my reading, it goes to the 11th Circuit in Atlanta, which is conservative and if they lose and appeal again, it goes to the Supreme Court (if they take it).

All that to say, not sure they can fish for a lefty judge in its current state.

Bottom line, very low likelihood the CDC succeeds here.

With a war going on, inflation and gas out of control, massive supply chain issues, and the list goes on, I cannot figure out why joe would spend so much political capital on a complete (essentially) non issue in which 85% of people don’t want it.

It’s extremely odd to me. You’re going to get smoked in November, why not focus on at least one relevant thing that may help lessen the coming election blowout?
As if he even knows what's going on. Agreed, this is unlikely to be successful, and on the chance that it is reinstated, I don't see people complying nor enforcing compliance. This is such a cluster.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Local police, presumably. The stories I saw earlier said she's expanding the mask mandate to all N.Y. airports, train stations, and bus terminals.
I'd like to see them try that...😂
LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by sfgiants13
The progressive base, blue check marks on Twitter, and probably those over in Omni.
Don’t lump us all together. I’m the progressive base, and this mandate needed to go, and the testing requirement needs to go too. I’m not happy that this is the hill the people I voted for have chosen to die on, when they could be spending whatever political capital they have left on more pressing issues.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by t325
...and the testing requirement needs to go too.
I'm with you on this, and it really should be a bipartisan issue. LOL Jokes aside, in my view, most Americans just don't care to travel abroad--nothing wrong with this--and the convenience of int'l travelers probably doesn't move the needle for either party. I suspect many of our fellow Americans probably think, "what's the big deal? Just spend your quarantine in a hotel with some room service."
LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by TravelForum
in which 85% of people don’t want it.
I dunno..... there's some "survey" being thrown around today that says "a majority of Americans" want people to mask up when traveling. I'd sure like to know who they polled because I'm hard-pressed to find 10%. Even most of the VERY pro-mask FT crowd seems to welcome the end (once they were finished bashing the judge in every way possible, of course).
ksucats and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by ksucats
I wonder if this will make it easier for me to get a bar seat at airports. When connecting, I usually hit up an Admirals Club in ORD or DFW. But I remember a couple airports (RSW most recently) where I couldn't get a spot at any bar. I suspect that a lot of people spent more time & $ at airport bars than they normally would just because they could remove their mask without harassment. I know I did, although I will still hit up an airport bar in these airports for a drink, but definitely won't stay the entire time if I can head to the gate or browse a shop while being able to breathe freely.
I suspect your suspicion is correct. I've spent a few dollars at Vino Volo just to nurse wine glasses to keep the stupid mask off without being Karened.
Synapseturquoise likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.