Mask Mandate Struck Down

Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Full Opinion Text Here:
https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...0-047124235804

I don't think there's anything earth-shattering there from a judge rated not-qualified by the ABA. Neither side wants an actual ruling from the 11th Circuit, so a stay-and-moot is in everyone's interests.
Ya she proved that she earned her rating as well. Her legal rationale, according to those who have read the ruling (I haven't), is that under the CDC rule, anyone who tries to ride public transportation in violation of the rule risks arrest by the local authorities. Therefore, the rule is unconstitutional because it's the CDC arresting and detaining people, which is outside of their authority.

Uh....huh? It's like saying that FDA food inspection regulations are unconstitutional because some mildly tainted food might not make it to market, and some starving person might not get to eat it, and that's the same as a government execution!

I'm very much looking forward to ending the face mask rule, but for me the big one that needs to end is the neg covid test before travel. Still, a bad ruling is a bad ruling, and lawless judges hurt everyone.

From CNN:
In her 59-page ruling, Mizelle suggested that the government's implementation of the mandate -- in which non-complying travelers are "forcibly removed from their airplane seats, denied board at the bus steps, and turned away at the train station doors" -- was akin to "detention and quarantine," which are not contemplated in the section of the law in question, she said.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/18/polit...ing/index.html
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by Beltway2A

I don't think there's anything earth-shattering there from a judge rated not-qualified by the ABA.
Citation??
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:41 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by ellinj
Citation??
https://www.americanbar.org/content/...ll-mizelle.pdf

A substantial majority of the Standing Committee has determined that Ms. Mizelle is “Not Qualified"
The nominee was admitted to practice law in Florida on September 27, 2012. This represents a rather marked departure from the 12 year minimum
Since her admission to the bar Ms. Mizelle has not tried a case, civil or criminal, as lead or co-counsel.

[T]he Standing Committee accordingly has concluded - after a thorough peer review evaluation and careful deliberation - that the nominee presently does not meet the requisite minimum standard of experience necessary to perform the responsibilities required by the high office of a federal trial judge.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Visconti
I'd agree. While I have no evidence of this (gotta love this phrase), I think all of this Covid stuff is going to crumble like a house of cards soon.
I think (and hope) you are right regarding things start crumbling like a house of cards in the near future.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:44 pm

On a UA flight right now. News of the mandate came out during boarding. No announcement about it. Status quo inflight.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:45 pm

Finally, a judge is "following the science" . Mask theater needs to end. If you want to wear a mask.... wear one. Leave the rest of us alone.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:48 pm

One down, one to go ..
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by TravelForum
I think (and hope) you are right regarding things start crumbling like a house of cards in the near future.
A month or two again, I noticed this in Vegas. Not that I'm Nostradamus here, but it was obvious to anyone, who wasn't a complete zealot, that most--irrespective of politics or their positions on these mandates--were tired of it and agreed these draconian measures have all outlived their usefulness; to me, it was a leading indicator of things to come.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:58 pm

The US Supreme Court has already struck down the prior CDC over-reach on evictions. This seems to be a similar issue where the same argument that an agency without authority is making law.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by lobo411
Ya she proved that she earned her rating as well. Her legal rationale, according to those who have read the ruling (I haven't), is that under the CDC rule, anyone who tries to ride public transportation in violation of the rule risks arrest by the local authorities. Therefore, the rule is unconstitutional because it's the CDC arresting and detaining people, which is outside of their authority.
You should really read the ruling. It was vacated primarily because it did not follow the Administrative Procedures Act, especially the requirement for a public comment period. The judge also ruled that the mandate exceeded the statutory authority of the CDC. The ruling should not be a surprise given that the CDC has lost two other mandate cases for similar reasons. The ruling is the opposite of "lawless". Lawless is when an administrative agency, such as the CDC, knowingly does not follow the law, such as the APA, as written and creates powers for itself that are not authorized by law.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Apr 18, 2022 at 3:38 pm Reason: Fix quote
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by LuckyStrike
Finally, a judge is "following the science" . Mask theater needs to end. If you want to wear a mask.... wear one. Leave the rest of us alone.
The ruling had nothing to do with science, and if you read it, it even says that masking is a proven and effective means of preventing transmission.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
I have one flight today and one tomorrow. Do I have to wear a mask? I don't need opinions, just current law and company policy. I've got my shots and had Covid twice, I am flying mask free IF ALLOWED.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: Unloyal, disloyal
Originally Posted by lobo411

Uh....huh? It's like saying that FDA food inspection regulations are unconstitutional because some mildly tainted food might not make it to market, and some starving person might not get to eat it, and that's the same as a government execution!

I'm very much looking forward to ending the face mask rule, but for me the big one that needs to end is the neg covid test before travel. Still, a bad ruling is a bad ruling, and lawless judges hurt everyone.

From CNN:
In her 59-page ruling, Mizelle suggested that the government's implementation of the mandate -- in which non-complying travelers are "forcibly removed from their airplane seats, denied board at the bus steps, and turned away at the train station doors" -- was akin to "detention and quarantine," which are not contemplated in the section of the law in question, she said.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/18/polit...ing/index.html
The FDA's authority is well-tested and understood. The FDA can forcibly recall food and take it off shelves in very limited circumstances - adulteration/mislabeling, risk of serious health issues or death. The proportionality here is clear: it's basically a clear-and-present-danger requirement.

The Judge's ruling here, which I agree with, is that the mask mandate is proportionally not the same. There is no clear-and-present-danger aspect to the wearing of masks on planes or in airports (or anywhere else, if we're being honest.) The penalties for non-compliance are onerous for the people affected. And, above all else, the judge is correct that the legal backing for the mandate is in clear contravention of the PHSA's precedent in particular and the ADA in general.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by BillBurn
You should really read the ruling. It was vacated primarily because it did not follow the Administrative Procedures Act, especially the requirement for a public comment period. The judge also ruled that the mandate exceeded the statutory authority of the CDC. The ruling should not be a surprise given that the CDC has lost two other mandate cases for similar reasons. The ruling is the opposite of "lawless". Lawless is when an administrative agency, such as the CDC, knowingly does not follow the law, such as the APA, as written and creates powers for itself that are not authorized by law.
I just finished reading it, and it's utterly preposterous. The APA allows agencies such as the CDC to issue orders without following the normal procedures as long as one of the following applies:

1. The order is not a rule. IE, it's a temporary measure, not a permanent change. Obviously, the mask mandate fits this--no agency, court, or individual has even suggested that the mask mandate is anything but a temporary measure

2. There is "good cause" not to wait for the normal process to play out (the 30 days normally allowed for public comment). Obviously, the mask mandate fits this as well. During the month of January 2021, 80,000 Americans died of covid-19. If masks are 10% effective at preventing transmission, and 10% of cases lead to death, then waiting 30 days for public comment means 800 people would have died. Saving 800 lives is absolutely "good cause" to waive the 30 day comment rule.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:11 pm

While I agree that the mask mandate should be dropped, a legally dubious ruling from an unqualified judge is not the way to go about doing this.
Catbert10 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.