Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Arriving Italy April 7 from South Africa, 4 Pfizer doses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:44 pm
lmk
Original Poster

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA

DH and I are US citizens with temporary residency permits (visas) currently living in South Africa through 2023. We have tickets to fly from JNB-ZRH-PMO April 6-7 and will be arriving as tourists for 30 days, traveling through Sicily, the Amalfi Coast, and then Venice. We have vaccination cards showing we received two Pfizer doses in the US (March & April 2021) and two boosters in South Africa (October 1, 2021 and February 28, 2022). I understand the Green Pass restrictions are in the process of being lifted but will still be in place during April to some extent. We are trusting that our US and South Africa vaccination cards should be sufficient to enter the country but are considering also arriving with PCR tests in hand to allow us to get temporary Green Passes good for at least a day or two so that we can access public transportation, check into our hotel, eat in a restaurant, go to museums/sites indoors, etc. We would appreciate advice from any travelers currently on the ground in Italy about how things are working with the Green Passes being phased out, where they are still being requested, etc. Regardless of the regulations being lifted we are happy to wear masks indoors, on transportation, etc. -- we are just hoping to confirm that proof of being vaccinated will be accepted, as it is very hard to tell from government websites exactly what will be acceptable. Anecdotally it seems that US CDC cards are fine but our US vaccinations are about a year old now, and we have no idea whether our South African (Pfizer) booster vaccination cards will be deemed acceptable. Many thanks in advance.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 12:59 am

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
In theory, US and other paper vaccine certificates are by law and decree equivalent to Italian 'green pass'. That said, I have heard a few stories of people being turned away from restaurants with them (not hotels or the like) - usually small places outside of major tourist areas. It is extremely difficult to convert a paper certificate to a green pass - you need a tessera sanitaria (health card) and patience, along with some knowledge of Italian. TL/dr: I wouldn't bother.
My impression living in the northeast is that places are less and less checking them anyway, and when they do it is more cursory than in Dec/Jan. By 1 April you won't need it to eat outdoors (and where you will be, in this time, it should be glorious out of doors; inside they won't be needed from 01 May, which means people will be checked less and less leading to that day. Masks are still worn indoors until further notice and should be FFP2 (like KN95) - this is still quite very the norm, and if you don't you will likely be viewed askance (at least in these parts: I imagine tourist hotspots like Amalfi and Venice will be much more lax).
Enjoy your travels and do stay safe!
Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:18 am
lmk
Original Poster

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA
Thank you! Hoping our vaccination cards will be sufficient to allow us on trains, etc. as well.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 1:38 am

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
Originally Posted by lmk
Thank you! Hoping our vaccination cards will be sufficient to allow us on trains, etc. as well.
Yes, the cards will be perfectly fine for trains - the staff are more familiar with the decree so you will not experience problems with that. On local public transit (mezzi pubblici) I have never been controlled, and yet then the rule is shifting from the pass rafforzato to the pass base on 1 April.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.