Miles&Points

Coronavirus and travel

Flying through AMS and CDG airports unvaccinated

Old Mar 18, 22, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I am an unvaccinated traveler going to Denmark, which has lifted all restrictions. What is my COVID testing requirement for AMS airport, CDG airport, and then for reentry back in the US?
Old Mar 18, 22, 9:02 am

I would double check “lifting all restrictions” as that normally is for vaccinated people and their entry guide on the govt website says a covid test will be required within 24 hours of entry for unvaccinated people (to be fair things change so fast it could be outdated but is from a govt website so i would like to assume its what would be followed). Since you didn’t mention which transit location for each direction I would say a simple answer to your question is as long as you have a covid test within 24 hours going both ways you will be fine assuming it is a single reservation and not two separate tickets.

Transiting the Netherlands Govt website says If you transfer/transit in the Netherlands you do not need to show a negative COVID-19 test result, proof of vaccination or proof of recovery on arrival in the Netherlands.

Paris is a bit harder as mismatch items between govt website and Paris airport site one saying as long as you stay airside on 1 ticket no test is required govt side says you need a PCR test if unvaccinated

As for return to the US you just need a covid test (PCR or Rapid Antigen)within 1 day of departure I recommend buying a 2 pack of the Abbot BIONex test and just doing it on your iPad or laptop in your hotel room since at least with Paris there is no covid test center airside to get it during your layover (though they have always checked from my origin location for my test results for the US)
Old Mar 18, 22, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Not sure if youve already booked your ticket, but it might be logistically easier in this case if you fly from the USA to CPH and back directly, on SAS for example. This could save you a lot of potential complication without having to connect in a third country and having to figure out their particular rules.
Old Mar 19, 22, 1:39 am

There is still a ban on unvaccinated people entering the EU, at the very least through AMS. This will likely remain the case for quite some time, so you should get vaccinated. It's easy, painless and free.
etiene and StingWest like this.
Old Mar 19, 22, 4:09 am

Programs: Qatar Plat OW*E, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat Elite, United Premier Platinum S*G
[Content off-topic for this forum edited by Moderator.]

Just double check, as un-vaxxed you might just have to do a PCR negative result. It's easy.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 19, 22 at 9:40 am Reason: Edits of text off-topic for this forum.
Old Mar 19, 22, 4:45 am

Programs: SAS EBG / *A Gold, Radisson Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by sxc7885 View Post
I would double check lifting all restrictions as that normally is for vaccinated people and their entry guide on the govt website says a covid test will be required within 24 hours of entry for unvaccinated people (to be fair things change so fast it could be outdated but is from a govt website so i would like to assume its what would be followed).
This is correct but just to be clear - that test is to be taken 24 hours after arrival and is paid by the Danish health care system. It is possible to test before arrival instead, in which case 48/72h rule is in place (and in this case the government obviously doesn't pick the bill, as the testing will take place outside of Denmark).

​​​​​However, the testing requirement doesn't apply when entering from EU/EEA country, which seems to be the OP's case. I'm not sure how Denmark handles transfers but the wording on their website suggests it's the same as in Sweden, e.g. your last transit point rather than the origin airport is taken into the account. That means that OP would not be subject to a test.

In any case, OP won't go through passport check in Denmark.
Old Mar 19, 22, 4:47 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by GratefulSmile View Post
[Conforming Moderator edit to this quote as made to original post.]

Just double check, as un-vaxxed you might just have to do a PCR negative result. It's easy.
What you are saying is simply not true. There is an entry ban for people that are not vaccinated or recovered from Covid for non-EU/EEA/Schengen citizen. There are some exceptions but testing does not make you eligible for entry automatically. https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...-the-entry-ban

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 19, 22 at 9:42 am Reason: See note above.
Old Mar 19, 22, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR View Post
There is still a ban on unvaccinated people entering the EU, at the very least through AMS.
This doesn't seem to be the case: https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...-or-short-stay

Transit via the Netherlands to another EU states is permitted even for non-vaccinated if they are allowed entry to their final destination. They need some kind of proof, but I think the printout from the Danish COVID website should be sufficient.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 19, 22, 5:03 am

I’m transiting through Amsterdam in a couple of weeks and found a form on line at their government website I have to fill out. I’m fully vaccinated.
Old Mar 19, 22, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by the810 View Post
This doesn't seem to be the case: https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...-or-short-stay

Transit via the Netherlands to another EU states is permitted even for non-vaccinated if they are allowed entry to their final destination. They need some kind of proof, but I think the printout from the Danish COVID website should be sufficient.
Right, there's the thing that's a tough read: is transiting "entering" a country. Usually, it's not, but these days, it's hard to know.

That said, the CDG website is pretty clear on transit rules as of March 2022: https://de.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

You must get tested before traveling if a PCR test is required by your final destination.
Passengers transiting through Paris to travel to a third country are not required to present a COVID‑19 PCR test certificate at CDG airport.
Passengers are denied boarding if they are prohibited from entering the country of destination.
Old Mar 19, 22, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by northinsouth View Post
Right, there's the thing that's a tough read: is transiting "entering" a country. Usually, it's not, but these days, it's hard to know.
The website I linked is specifically about transit
northinsouth and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Mar 19, 22, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by the810 View Post
The website I linked is specifically about transit
I'm a lazy dope here. Yup, correct.
Old Mar 23, 22, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by northinsouth View Post

That said, the CDG website is pretty clear on transit rules as of March 2022: https://de.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

You must get tested before traveling if a PCR test is required by your final destination.
Passengers transiting through Paris to travel to a third country are not required to present a COVID‑19 PCR test certificate at CDG airport.
Passengers are denied boarding if they are prohibited from entering the country of destination.
I transited through Madrid airport with no vaccination. Spain requires vaccination for entry but they did not require it for transit.
Not sure if it's the same in all countries/airports.

Not only did this require disembarking but also going through immigration, collecting my baggage, and having to do self-check in. Furthermore, I missed my connecting flight so ended up staying in Madrid for a couple of nights with no vaccination. So I was able to enter Spain with no vaccination using the transit loophole.
SSF556 likes this.

Search this Thread