Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Did anyone do a coronavirus HAG test on the surfaces in the aircraft?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2022, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium

I saw a video online that it turned out to be positive, so I decided to do my own test. This is what I have found out:

Old Feb 13, 2022, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by MitjaPod
I saw a video online that it turned out to be positive, so I decided to do my own test. This is what I have found out:

https://youtu.be/eTphlBWAZWQ
Interesting video to be honest,
Although, I don't see the point related to TK other than the aircraft being a TK aircraft. I think that this post would better fit into the COVID-19 forum rather than the TK one.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
ISTFlyer, yes, I agree. I was looking for that forum, but was clumsy with the search engine I guess. Can someone move it to that forum? I've notified the moderator.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 3:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I assume every airplane I enter is full of covid19 virus particles, because they all will once you have passengers on breathing, especially at mealtime. Particles float and then eventually land on everything. So, I wipe down everything with straight alcohol as soon as I get to my seat and periodically through the flight and keep my hands washed. But, it's pretty much easy to guage the possible amount of particles just based on the carbon dioxide levels. When they're in the danger zone the chances of high levels of covid particles floating around is very high. And it's absolutely very noticeable during mealtime how high the levels increase. That's why it's a good thing to eat first or last before everyone takes off their masks.

Emirates Airline
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:59 am

I'm quite concerned about being infected during meals... Is there any alternative to bringing your own food and quickly eating while others are masked?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by magXY
I'm quite concerned about being infected during meals... Is there any alternative to bringing your own food and quickly eating while others are masked?
I think it would depend on the airline. Emirates has dietary meals served first so you have all that time to eat before they start serving other passengers. If you sit in the back you have a longer time to eat before they make it back there to serve everyone else.

Pre-Covid I used to bring on BBQ ribs etc from the airport restaurants and eat it as soon as I boarded. But with masking now and how some airlines restrict the removal of them only during mealtime makes it bad.

The only option I have used is to ask the flight attendants to move me temporarily to a blocked off seat in the rear and I just take a bite of food and while my mask is dangling on my ear I put it back on while chewing. But, some flights I won't eat anything due to the number of obvious sick people coughing. I just don't eat. So, to be safe than sorry, stuff yourself before you board the plane.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:28 am

Look at this Twitter user's account of his journeys on planes and how high the levels were. My highest so far was inside an Uber, like 1800. The lowest was actually inside a hospital clinic, that definitely had some serious HEPA filtration, and the Barcelona airport believe it or not. Both hovered around 600 which is very good for an indoor public space.

Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: Skywards, QF FF
For those who don't wish to watch the almost 13 minute video for the 10 second reveal at the end - the test is negative.

Curious what you were hoping to achieve, especially if you'd gotten a positive?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by petit_manchot
For those who don't wish to watch the almost 13 minute video for the 10 second reveal at the end - the test is negative.

Curious what you were hoping to achieve, especially if you'd gotten a positive?
I believe 13 min is just above some adverti$ing payout thre$holds for youtube.

If one left positive test in view on their traytable, I suspect neighbors and the FA would be a bit more diligent in enforcing proper mask usage for the remainder of the flight
lobo411 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
I believe 13 min is just above some adverti$ing payout thre$holds for youtube.

If one left positive test in view on their traytable, I suspect neighbors and the FA would be a bit more diligent in enforcing proper mask usage for the remainder of the flight
I doubt it. When one lady shamed southwest airlines with their c02 reading they didn't care. Also, at this point nobody, including the flight attendants care about people coughing, not wearing masks or anything else. I remember over a year ago if ANY BODY coughed everybody stopped what they were doing to see who it was so they can steer clear of them. Now, whatever. lol
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
The virus is a respiratory aerosol so testing surfaces will rarely yield much in the way of useful information.
Our family has used several different companies with both BinanxNow and other "gubermint" issued kits and we have had both false positives(thankfully my currently pregnant niece was!) and false negatives.
It is sad that the poster wasted a test kit like this but good to know that due to the negative "test" that validates the "aerosol" aspect. I have attended some interesting conferences from OSHA trained people who are very knowledgeable and they confirmed this.
The other issue is knowing what the ramp cycle threshold is for the company that does the RT PCR tests. It should be under 35 and closer to 30 to weed out false positives. I am fortunate to have a company locally that does a 30 cycle test. They have done over 3500 tests with NO false positives.
Hope this is helpful.
bpe likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I doubt it. When one lady shamed southwest airlines with their c02 reading they didn't care. Also, at this point nobody, including the flight attendants care about people coughing, not wearing masks or anything else. I remember over a year ago if ANY BODY coughed everybody stopped what they were doing to see who it was so they can steer clear of them. Now, whatever. lol
Airlines recycle air because it's more fuel efficient when flying than 100% fresh air. If they are using HEPA filters as claimed, then the recycling aspect shouldn't make a practical difference from a COVID perspective, right? The air coming out of the vents would all be filtered anyway. Lower CO2 concentrations might be beneficial for other reasons, of course.

Probably not much the FAs can do about people coughing.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, Sky Team Silver, Star Alliance Silver
Covid is an airborne disease, contracted by inhaling aerosol particles that are floating in the air after having been being exhaled by the infected, either through speaking, coughing, shouting, or singing.

We do not contract Covid from surfaces. Not from tray tables, hand rests, seat pockets, door latches, overhead compartments, or the inflight magazine. All the Lysol in the world will not reduce the chances of contracting Covid.

One cannot "disinfect" a plane from Covid, other than recirculating the air. Which they do.
the810 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:52 am

That's basically true, but I've been cleaning all the areas I touch around my seat starting way before covid. Many other viruses and bacteria accumulate on surfaces that I don't want any part of. I noticed also when I started wearing masks on planes about 10 years ago I didn't get the usual cold from traveling I used to get like clock work.
squeakr likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Buzzz
Covid is an airborne disease, contracted by inhaling aerosol particles that are floating in the air after having been being exhaled by the infected, either through speaking, coughing, shouting, or singing.

We do not contract Covid from surfaces. Not from tray tables, hand rests, seat pockets, door latches, overhead compartments, or the inflight magazine.
If this is true, then all the "wash your hands frequently" guidance has been... misplaced. Is that the claim here? (Honestly curious -- I have no stake in the response and this is not a political question.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.