Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2022, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingfkb
All internal restrictions removed:
  • Belgium - No border restrictions (per IATA, no restrictions; per Belgian government, "This does not apply to travelers coming from a country with a new variant of concern.").
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina - No border restrictions.
  • Bulgaria - No border restrictions.
  • Denmark - No border restrictions.
  • Croatia - No border restrictions.
  • Czech Republic - No border restrictions.
  • England - No border restrictions.
  • Estonia - No border restrictions.
  • Finland - No border restrictions.
  • France - Some border restrictions remain for non-vaccinated pax coming from some non-EU countries. Masks required on some public transport (Nice).
  • Germany - No border restrictions.
  • Greece - No border restrictions. ​
  • Hungary - No border restrictions.
  • Iceland - No border restrictions.
  • Ireland - No border restrictions.
  • Kosovo - No border restrictions.
  • Latvia - No border restrictions.
  • Malta - No border restrictions.
  • Moldova - No border restrictions.
  • Netherlands - Some border restrictions remain for non-EU arrivals.
  • Norway - No border restrictions.
  • North Macedonia - No border restrictions.
  • Poland - No border restrictions.
  • Portugal, Madeira and Porto Santo - no border restrictions (excludes Azores)
  • Romania - No border restrictions.
  • Scotland - No border restrictions.
  • Serbia - No border restrictions.
  • Slovakia - No border restrictions.
  • Slovenia - No border restrictions.
  • Sweden - No border restrictions.
  • Switzerland - No border restrictions.
  • Turkey - No border restrictions.
  • Wales - No border restrictions.
Internal restrictions generally removed, but masks still needed in some situations:
  • Austria - No border restrictions. Masks required in Vienna.
  • Cyprus (excluding TRNC) - No border restrictions. Masks needed on public transport.
  • Italy - No border restrictions. Face mask rules extended to 30 September on public transport and indoor settings.
  • Lithuania - No border restrictions but masks required on public transport.
​​​Note that the list excludes any restrictions that may exist in health care and social care, as these are generally irrelevant for tourists.

European airlines not requiring masks on board:
  • Network-wide: Norwegian, Czech Airlines, Smartwings, Flyr, Widerře, BRA, TAP, Brussels Airlines
  • On some routes:
    • airBaltic - Recommended on all flights, but only required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • Air France - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • Air Serbia
    • Austrian - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • British Airways - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate - list available on BA's website
    • Croatia Airlines - Required to/from Germany
    • EasyJet - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate.
    • Finnair - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. Currently only TO Spain. List here: https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/flight...lights-2364672
    • Icelandair - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate: Paris, Germany and Canada
    • KLM - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate, list not available.
    • LOT - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate extending to foreign planes. List not available.
    • SAS - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate extending to foreign planes: Flights to/from Italy and China.
    • Swiss - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate - list available on Swiss website.
    • Wizz Air - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate, list not available.
Print Wikipost

Europe reopening 2022 -

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:27 am

Yes, we all know what it happening today in the EU. But anyone who has been paying attention over the last year also knows how the mention of the word 'variant' causes half of the continent to shut down at the blink of an eye. Another variant is inevitable, and there are certainly no guarantees that the "circuit breaker" will not go haywire again when it does emerge. If it happens to show signs of vaccine resistance and increased hospitalization rates, we will be back at square one in a very short order. At least an EU-approved QR code provided some level of protection in terms of being allowed access.
tai4de2 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by downinit
I fully anticipate another nerve-wracking summer of uncertainty and stress for those of us planning to visit the EU from abroad.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It seems to me like more and more of the Schengen area is caving in on restrictions, and this time more and more in the Schengen area want to use any and every excuse under the sun to "just move on" and to "turn a blind eye" to Covid-19.
Yes, we all know what it happening today in the EU. But anyone who has been paying attention over the last year also knows how the mention of the word 'variant' causes half of the continent to shut down at the blink of an eye. Another variant is inevitable, and there are certainly no guarantees that the "circuit breaker" will not go haywire again when it does emerge. If it happens to show signs of vaccine resistance and increased hospitalization rates, we will be back at square one in a very short order. At least an EU-approved QR code provided some level of protection in terms of being allowed access.
Wow. The pessimism and negativity is palpable.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Realism is neither pessimistic nor negativity -- it's just a recognition of the world as it is rather than as the world some may like it to be.

Even the "cautious" Danes and Norwegians have thrown caution to the wind. It would take a much more massive surge in hospitalizations and deaths to get even them "back on track" with a rush to caution again.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Wow. The pessimism and negativity is palpable.
In California and the rest of the USA, we have been partying continuously since last summer, with practically zero restrictions and only a 3G check in some locations. I am not worried about what will happen over here. Remind me again how things were going in the NL over the winter? You seem to be confusing pessimism and pragmatism. When the EU countries can get through a single surge or variant without bringing back lockdowns and curfews, I will be able to let down my guard. That day has not yet come.

As it is, I am holding onto passes for three music festivals in Europe, delayed from 2020. I have been to about a dozen festivals in the USA since August. Just about every event in Europe is still being cancelled or postponed indefinitely, including events scheduled for this month.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
In California and the rest of the USA, we have been partying continuously since last summer, with practically zero restrictions and only a 3G check in some locations. I am not worried about what will happen over here. Remind me again how things were going in the NL over the winter? You seem to be confusing pessimism and pragmatism. When the EU countries can get through a single surge or variant without bringing back lockdowns and curfews, I will be able to let down my guard. That day has not yet come.

As it is, I am holding onto passes for three music festivals in Europe, delayed from 2020. I have been to about a dozen festivals in the USA since August. Just about every event in Europe is still being cancelled or postponed indefinitely, including events scheduled for this month.
I am going to a musical in about an hour, and have been to cinemas and theatres a lot recently. I now have fixed dates in Spring/Summer 2022 for all my concerts that were scheduled for 2020.
So it’s not true that “just about every event is still being cancelled or indefinitely postponed in Europe”.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I guy I know calls it "crate training". Like you would train a puppy to stay in his crate. It seems that a lot of people have been crate trained and are really resisting a return to normal. Thankfully there are others who ignore them and are going towards the direction of normalcy. Maybe many of these people, including government bureaucrats, realize that they have an urgent fiscal reason to get back to normalcy. Maybe others get the overly negative societal impact, especially against people of lower income and children. But whatever the reason, it is going to happen.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:53 am

I am going to a musical in about an hour, and have been to cinemas and theatres a lot recently. I now have fixed dates in Spring/Summer 2022 for all my concerts that were scheduled for 2020.
So it’s not true that “just about every event is still being cancelled or indefinitely postponed in Europe”.
All of my events had "fixed dates" scheduled for summer 2021, as well.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
All of my events had "fixed dates" scheduled for summer 2021, as well.
In 2021, I saw events cancelled in various parts of Europe in a way that just isn't happening as much anymore in these places in 2022. There's been an attitude shift and a sort of arrogance/confidence that has risen across parts of "reopened" Europe in the wake of high-levels of vaccination/vaccine availability in these places.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:47 am

Have you seen the crowd at the Super Bowl or the sports books in Vegas? While I'm not sure if it's over but for all intents and purposes, I suspect, for the first time, it's really over after this go. Of course, I had thought this countless time the last 2+ years only to see a variant trigger a sudden 180 reaction. I mean, come on guys, anyone surprised that this Omi turned out to be virtually nothing? Didn't some medical professionals in SA try to warn us?

Originally Posted by GUWonder
In 2021, I saw events cancelled in various parts of Europe in a way that just isn't happening as much anymore in these places in 2022. There's been an attitude shift and a sort of arrogance/confidence that has risen across parts of "reopened" Europe in the wake of high-levels of vaccination/vaccine availability in these places.
Good. Let's try this because the arrogance that had permeated from "crate dweller" (as stumpy so aptly coined) proponents hasn't worked. It's about time we try something else.

Last edited by Visconti; Feb 16, 2022 at 9:57 am Reason: added multi-quote
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:08 am

I’ve got tickets for music festivals in the US later this year, postponed twice since autumn 2020.

I’m becoming more confident by the day that this year I’ll actually make it despite the fact I've remained unvaccinated.

It’s definitely time to move on.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

In California and the rest of the USA, we have been partying continuously since last summer, with practically zero restrictions and only a 3G check in some locations. I am not worried about what will happen over here.
Well done on your 1 million deaths. Must be so proud!
mpkz likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL PM
The Netherlands will lift almost all Covid restrictions on February 25.
Only two exceptions:
1. Masks will still be required on public transport and at airports;
2. Everyone needs a negative test for venues which can host >500 people indoors.

So the QR code will no longer be needed from February 25, and opening hours will be back to normal with no remaining capacity restrictions.

A negative test will still be needed when arriving from outside the EU - I expect that requirement to disappear relatively soon too.
surprising since NL has been one of the more finnicky ones throughout these whole ordeal.
LETTERBOY and gudugan like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:37 pm

Even Austria have announced they’ll be removing most restrictions from the 5th of March, pretty much 2 years to the week that things started.

https://www.thelocal.com/20220216/co...rom-march-5th/

looks like this could be over as fast as it started 🤞🏻

Last edited by Howmuch; Feb 16, 2022 at 12:45 pm
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by enelym1978
I'm afraid that concerns Swiss citizens and residents. The ability to convert foreign certificate into a Swiss certificate has been intended for visitors in Switzerland (which is why they required a proof of travel to Switzerland) and since certificate won't be needed in Switzerland anymore, I don't see this system remaining in operation. It doesn't make sense.

Yes, we all know what it happening today in the EU. But anyone who has been paying attention over the last year also knows how the mention of the word 'variant' causes half of the continent to shut down at the blink of an eye. Another variant is inevitable, and there are certainly no guarantees that the "circuit breaker" will not go haywire again when it does emerge.
There is one major difference - until now, having a lot of spread was considered bad, thus any more infectious variant (which means any variant that can possibly become widespread) was considered bad. This is not the case anymore, countries are reopening while they have all time high number of cases. So I think the chance of knee-jerk reactions is much lower. As far as vaccine resistance is concerned, it won't get much worse than it already is with omicron + entire population will have some kind of natural immunity from omicron, which will be more effective than one from vaccine, especially for possible omicron spin-offs. We will only have a problem is less mild variant arises and becomes widespread but that's unlikely from evolutionary perspective (which of course doesn't mean it's impossible).

​​​​​​But there is another level to this. I believe omicron is only partially responsible for these reopenings. Governments must have realised by now that the strategy they went for causes a lot of damage and is not unsustainable in the long run. Omicron is a good excuse to change the strategy without having to admit that unprecedented restrictions on freedom that we've seen in recent years were a terrible decision.

In any case, I expect summer to be 100% normal in 90% of Europe. Autumn may be a different story.

Originally Posted by stimpy
I guy I know calls it "crate training". Like you would train a puppy to stay in his crate. It seems that a lot of people have been crate trained and are really resisting a return to normal. Thankfully there are others who ignore them and are going towards the direction of normalcy.
It will be very regional. I'm in Denmark and it's 100% normal, pretty much everyone adapted to normality immediately. But it will be tougher in some other countries.

I always said there are two types of countries when it comes to how COVID was approached in public communications. The first group is "we're all going to die", where governments tried to claim that everyone is at a high risk of having severe covid, in an attempt to make society compliant. These countries will have hard time reopening as they have high ratio of people scared of catching it. The second group is mostly represented by Nordics where the reasoning behind restrictions was primarily that we need to protect health care from being overburden, while admitting that risk level is fairly low for most people. These countries will reopen easily, because once that societal risk is claimed to not exist anymore, people won't see a reason to stick to the panic mode.
RedChili, LETTERBOY and Visconti like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Howmuch
Even Austria have announced they’ll be removing most restrictions from the 5th of March, pretty much 2 years to the week that things started.

https://www.thelocal.com/20220216/co...rom-march-5th/

looks like this could be over as fast as it started 🤞🏻
But still, masks in some cases remain for the time being. I find it quite absurd that events with 50 000 people are ok, but God forbid someone wouldn't wear a mask on a train.
LETTERBOY and Visconti like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.