Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2022, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingfkb
All internal restrictions removed:
  • Belgium - No border restrictions (per IATA, no restrictions; per Belgian government, "This does not apply to travelers coming from a country with a new variant of concern.").
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina - No border restrictions.
  • Bulgaria - No border restrictions.
  • Denmark - No border restrictions.
  • Croatia - No border restrictions.
  • Czech Republic - No border restrictions.
  • England - No border restrictions.
  • Estonia - No border restrictions.
  • Finland - No border restrictions.
  • France - Some border restrictions remain for non-vaccinated pax coming from some non-EU countries. Masks required on some public transport (Nice).
  • Germany - No border restrictions.
  • Greece - No border restrictions. ​
  • Hungary - No border restrictions.
  • Iceland - No border restrictions.
  • Ireland - No border restrictions.
  • Kosovo - No border restrictions.
  • Latvia - No border restrictions.
  • Malta - No border restrictions.
  • Moldova - No border restrictions.
  • Netherlands - Some border restrictions remain for non-EU arrivals.
  • Norway - No border restrictions.
  • North Macedonia - No border restrictions.
  • Poland - No border restrictions.
  • Portugal, Madeira and Porto Santo - no border restrictions (excludes Azores)
  • Romania - No border restrictions.
  • Scotland - No border restrictions.
  • Serbia - No border restrictions.
  • Slovakia - No border restrictions.
  • Slovenia - No border restrictions.
  • Sweden - No border restrictions.
  • Switzerland - No border restrictions.
  • Turkey - No border restrictions.
  • Wales - No border restrictions.
Internal restrictions generally removed, but masks still needed in some situations:
  • Austria - No border restrictions. Masks required in Vienna.
  • Cyprus (excluding TRNC) - No border restrictions. Masks needed on public transport.
  • Italy - No border restrictions. Face mask rules extended to 30 September on public transport and indoor settings.
  • Lithuania - No border restrictions but masks required on public transport.
​​​Note that the list excludes any restrictions that may exist in health care and social care, as these are generally irrelevant for tourists.

European airlines not requiring masks on board:
  • Network-wide: Norwegian, Czech Airlines, Smartwings, Flyr, Widerøe, BRA, TAP, Brussels Airlines
  • On some routes:
    • airBaltic - Recommended on all flights, but only required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • Air France - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • Air Serbia
    • Austrian - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. List not available.
    • British Airways - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate - list available on BA's website
    • Croatia Airlines - Required to/from Germany
    • EasyJet - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate.
    • Finnair - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate. Currently only TO Spain. List here: https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/flight...lights-2364672
    • Icelandair - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate: Paris, Germany and Canada
    • KLM - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate, list not available.
    • LOT - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate extending to foreign planes. List not available.
    • SAS - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate extending to foreign planes: Flights to/from Italy and China.
    • Swiss - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate - list available on Swiss website.
    • Wizz Air - Required where origin/destination has a mask mandate, list not available.
Print Wikipost

Europe reopening 2022 -

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:35 am

North Macedonia abolishes entry requirements -

Vaccination still required for indoor eating.
LETTERBOY and DaveS like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
AY/Finnair dropping masks from 25APR unless the destination/origin country requires them. Updated the wiki.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 6:08 am

Not sure if this is relevant but all 4 US airlines flying to Europe are mask optional unless the destination requires it.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by stupidhead
Not sure if this is relevant but all 4 US airlines flying to Europe are mask optional unless the destination requires it.

What about flying from Europe to US? I assume AA is one of those 4 airlines?
TIA.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by allset2travel
TIA.
Depends on where in Europe.

European carriers operating TATL and not requiring masks currently include SAS, Swiss and BA
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by allset2travel
TIA.
When flying to the US, the flight is mask optional. I flew from Spain on Tuesday right as the order was lifted on AA. FAs said that they had to obey Spanish rules until the door was closed but they were the ones responsible for enforcing and didn't really care
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:38 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
When flying to the US, the flight is mask optional. I flew from Spain on Tuesday right as the order was lifted on AA. FAs said that they had to obey Spanish rules until the door was closed but they were the ones responsible for enforcing and didn't really care
It does seem like airlines in the US are interpreting the rules stricter than other airlines. For example masks on flights to the Netherlands they require masks, while Dutch KLM does not require masks on flights between NL and US. Same for Spain, SAS, Norwegian and Flyr does not require masks on flights to Spain, while airlines in the US does seem to require them.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by NLNO
It does seem like airlines in the US are interpreting the rules stricter than other airlines. For example masks on flights to the Netherlands they require masks, while Dutch KLM does not require masks on flights between NL and US. Same for Spain, SAS, Norwegian and Flyr does not require masks on flights to Spain, while airlines in the US does seem to require them.
There are two approaches airlines take.

One is to only require masks when there's a legal mandate extending to foreign aircraft. National law does not, by default, apply to planes registered abroad, so for example German mask mandate is irrelevant for SAS or Norwegian. But a country can set conditions for airline to fly to/from their territory, including mask requirements - this is the case with Italy for example, so SAS continues to require masks on those flights (as well as to/from China).

The second approach is to require masks whenever there's a domestic mask mandate in the origin/destination country. Benefit of this is that it's much easier to figure out what the rules are, as you don't have to look for eventual obscure piece of legislation applying to planed - domestic mask policies are easy to find. This is why the second approach is usually adopted by airlines with larger networks (e.g. BA, Swiss or easyJet), while the first approach is preferred by smaller airlines.
adrianlondon, volabam and DaveS like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I'd add that the Netherlands mandate exists, it's just unenforced by KLM.
LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I'd add that the Netherlands mandate exists, it's just unenforced by KLM.
But is there a rule requiring the airline to enforce the mandate? Flight attendants are not police officers; they do not enforce local laws as a general rule.
volabam likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
But is there a rule requiring the airline to enforce the mandate? Flight attendants are not police officers; they do not enforce local laws as a general rule.
I think a number of individuals have been banned from various airlines for not wearing a mask, even though enforcement may have been less than consistent. I for one don't check for cameras or police officers nearby to determine whether I should run a red light. And simply stating you did not intend to run the red light is not acceptable, if evidence proves you did. With that said, I hope Europe pulls through this summer nicely.
renila and downinit like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vanillabean
I think a number of individuals have been banned from various airlines for not wearing a mask, even though enforcement may have been less than consistent. I for one don't check for cameras or police officers nearby to determine whether I should run a red light. And simply stating you did not intend to run the red light is not acceptable, if evidence proves you did. With that said, I hope Europe pulls through this summer nicely.
Airlines can enforce it but the question was whether they have to, specifically in Europe. KLM obviously decided they have no such obligation and ignores it. If Dutch government wants to, they can put a cop on every flight.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vanillabean
I don't see how that's remotely related to what I asked
the810 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
Slovenia removed entry and almost all internal restrictions today.

https://www.slovenia.info/en/plan-yo...on-in-slovenia
ExpatExp, the810 and volabam like this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 12:16 pm

Greece and Switzerland to abolish all entry requirements (outside of the usual visa/passport) starting May 2nd:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...qoANXmRgOHSw7w

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.