Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

New Italy Vaccination Status Validity

New Italy Vaccination Status Validity

Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
Not true. If I understand the media’s take on the unvax, they will test positive at 50 paces. If so, that means a 6 month recovery certificate- Super Green Pass.

Two of those a year, no need for a vax and seemingly the same validity as the former known as “fully vaccinated”.
Requiring someone to intentionally infect themselves to go out in public seems even more counter productive to me.
LETTERBOY and JBJ2435 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
For the OP, my take on this is either (a) by June both the US and the EU would have implemented a second booster, if deemed necessary, or (b) the validity of the first booster will be at least 1 year.
N1120A likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
Originally Posted by nk15
For the OP, my take on this is either (a) by June both the US and the EU would have implemented a second booster, if deemed necessary, or (b) the validity of the first booster will be at least 1 year.
This is also my perspective, as someone living in Italy although vaccinated elsewhere. IMO, the 6 month rule was a reaction to Omicron, pushing people to get their booster, especially the older who were the first to get vaccinated (some 6+ months ago), as well as those who took Astra-Zeneca. At the six-month mark for most, which will begin in early May for the first to have been boostered, the government will either align with EU prescripts or the EU will begin pushing 4th doses. TL/dr, don't worry about this until about one month out.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
Requiring someone to intentionally infect themselves to go out in public seems even more counter productive to me.
France had half a million positive tests reported yesterday, that’s half a million recovery certificates that will be issued in just one day and valid for 6 months.

No need to get “intentionally infected”, the deadly variant is spread like wildfire, especially the new Omicron strain.

Test, test, test and you’re printing certificates.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jan 27, 2022 at 9:20 am Reason: Remove unnecessary and inaccurate content
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:17 am

France had half a million positive tests reported yesterday, that’s half a million recovery certificates that will be issued in just one day and valid for 6 months.

No need to get “intentionally infected”, the deadly variant is spread like wildfire, especially the new Omicron strain.

Test, test, test and you’re printing certificates.
You're making a lot of assumptions. Perhaps someone wishes to remain cautious while cases are high but will prefer to be more active in the summer when cases have been almost nonexistent in Europe the last two years. Someone in that case would be punished for taking precautions and would either be forced to boost, or to infect themself with covid to be allowed into public spaces. That rubs me the wrong way and, again, is not intuitive to promote public health.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Hardly. They will change it. How on Earth can they set it as unlimited if a second booster is needed? It’s the same like “fully vaccinated” meant you were exempt in 2021.

The Ministry of Health in Poland said boosters are valid at least a year to encourage people to get them and enjoy their freedom- but then when the Commission brought in the recommended 270 days, the expiry date was adjusted.

Boosters expire, cos vaccine validity expires.
Please show me where in the current legislation that boosters expire. I'll wait......

I am aware they "will change" it but that's not the point of this thread is it?
jcmalcolm likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No one is being "punished". It's a matter of politics.

In the European Union, recovery, i.e. natural immunity is recognised, in other countries, it's not recognised for exemption, or is in addition to vaccination, like in the UK. The NHS App won't issue you a recovery certificate unless you've had a full course of a vaccine. They're following different scientific guidance.

An unvaccinated person who has tested positive, is exempt for 6 months. According to the start of this thread, the formerly known as fully vaccinated is valid 6 months just like a person who has never been vaccinated. They're in the same position.

There's debate as to whether "boosted" persons are also included in this 6 month limit, or if its 270 days, which is what's set out by the Commission with EDCC, The Commission may change the validity "On the basis of new scientific evidence on this issue, the Commission may, if needed, propose an appropriate acceptance period also for vaccination certificates issued following a booster." In fact, the ECDC recommended 6 months for the "fully vaccinated" before boosting but 3 months was added as a grace period which is where 270 days comes from. Hence, Italy's 6 month validity is based on ECDC guidance. Member States are free to set validity, they could go down the route of Israel, again, it's politics. There can be no basis in science for boosters to have "no expiry", that's just not what the ECDC is recommending. The only way boosters don't expire is if there are no more boosters and the vaccination programme ends.

With 500k cases in France, I find it hard to believe 500k people are deliberately getting infected or indeed anyone is really going out and licking door handles to get a recovery certificate. Likely it's so rife in the community and the French test a lot. If there's 500k cases, there are many more asymptomatic like the new "Stealth Omicron". Those 500k people I mentioned will posses a certificate on their TousAntiCovid App because France recognises natural immunity.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
Please show me where in the current legislation that boosters expire. I'll wait......

I am aware they "will change" it but that's not the point of this thread is it?
It's not Italy but there is already precedent in the EU. Remember as I posted, it's a competence for each Member State to decide on the booster validity.

In Poland, vaccines certificates, including boosters are valid only 270 days.

Remember, Italy has taken a much harder line during the pandemic than Poland. In any case, booster doses without expiration are based on there being no forth dose in Italy, ie. the vaccine programme ends. (Per https://www.corriere.it/cronache/22_...d1a6b1fa.shtml)
gojko88 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 4:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
I am also curious to see how the rules in Italy (and other popular tourist destinations in the EU) evolve. Here in the UAE there is another permutation in all this where many of us got two doses of Sinopharm early in 2021 and then two doses of Pfizer six months later. My vaccination certificate (including the one in the TousAntiCovid app for France) shows 4/4 doses - most people in Europe were pretty shocked when I showed them the certificate last August already.

As per UAE govt rules, those who have had two Sino + two Pfizer shots cannot get a fifth shot of any make (Sino / Pfizer / Sptunik / the new Sinopharm) which will leave quite a few people SOL. The official reason given is contraindications when administering a "fifth" dose (depends on whether you recognize Sinopharm or not).

Given the trip I'm planning for May I do hope that the rules are further clarified for cases where the booster was administered more than 270 days earlier.

Ro
Old Feb 3, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
New rules announced today: for those with three shots/booster, the pass will not have a date limit. Also, should a region enter the red zone, this would only effect those who aren't vaccinated. There are some confusing rules about people entering, with only 2 doses, meaning they need regular tests.
https://www.corriere.it/cronache/22_...9c7004c9.shtml
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is just confirmed the draft entered into law, which is as expected because they earlier stated that they will do this while they wait on regulatory agencies to decide on a forth dose.

In attesa che le agenzie regolatorie si pronuncino sulla eventuale quarta dose, il governo ha dunque deciso di garantire la «copertura» in modo che non ci sia il rischio che la certificazione perda validitŕ.
Obviously a dose has "indefinite validity" if the vaccination programme ends because it's the last jab.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.