Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

The WHO now recommends lifting travel bans.

The WHO now recommends lifting travel bans.

Old Jan 20, 22, 7:42 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&M
Originally Posted by Gertjaars View Post
Asian countries will start reopening later this year to tourists. Surely China and Japan are towards the bottom but its good news.
If they reopen like Thailand did, i’m good.
Old Jan 20, 22, 7:53 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
What's going on, Roger Daltrey is going on tour again?
pfreet likes this.
Old Jan 20, 22, 7:58 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Those countries where Omicron has already peaked and are mostly vaccinated, they would want to reopen, there is no point for them...Those countries that had few cases or have not going through an Omicron peak, and/or do not have many vaccinated, they will be concerned...
Old Jan 20, 22, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Howmuch View Post
Anyone believe that this will change things anytime soon ?
Nope..... CDC, WHO, etc. are only used to create/continue rules. Whenever their advice doesn't accomplish that it gets little fanfare.

A perfect example is when CDC came out and said Covid is nearly impossible to get by touch. All the sanitizer hose downs, etc. continue to this day with no end in sight.
Old Jan 21, 22, 12:47 am

Programs: Star Alliance
On one hand, I would love to see to continue this experiment for some countries with closed borders and with travel bans for the next 2-5 years. To see what would happen to their economy and the mental state of the local population.

Nothing personal, just business.
nnn, tai4de2, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 22, 2:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
They said that on day one. Also, they said there's NO country that thinks they can vaccinate themselves out of this pandemic. They are right. Look at Israel.
Old Jan 21, 22, 4:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
Finally. Travel bans were always driven by xenophobia and not science.

I don't think Japan is that far behind. Hopefully they reopen for Sakura season.
Japan may never reopen
nnn, LETTERBOY, AADFW and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 22, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Gertjaars View Post
Asian countries will start reopening later this year to tourists. Surely China and Japan are towards the bottom but its good news.
Tourism dependent Asian countries will open later this year. Japan and South Korea, maybe. China, not a chance.
36902BRF likes this.
Old Jan 21, 22, 6:06 am

Programs: SAS EBG / *A Gold, Radisson Platinum, SJ Prio Black
https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022...ngers-says-who

This isn't really news, WHO has been advising against border restrictions for at least a year. They are also advising rich countries that supporting vacinnation in third world would be far more efficient than giving 63th dose to their own population. But that's much harder for politicians to sell to their electorate which wants them to do "something" to "protect" them.

But in any case, I expect border restrictions in Europe to be gone during the spring. More and more member states are now taking a stance that this is going to be over after this wave and we should get back to normal.

(I'm still surprised that the UK which wants to "lead the world out of the pandemic" still maintains border restrictions. It doesn't make any sense, what are they even protecting themselves against? Omicron which is spreading as fire within the UK? But as someone said above, border restrictions were always motivated by xenophobia. And we know who's in power in the UK.)
Old Jan 21, 22, 8:37 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Since when does the WHO's mission include global economic policies?
I appreciate the statement is true - this is having economic impacts - but the WHO is not qualified to issue statements on social and economic stress.
Old Jan 21, 22, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
On one hand, I would love to see to continue this experiment for some countries with closed borders and with travel bans for the next 2-5 years. To see what would happen to their economy and the mental state of the local population.

Nothing personal, just business.
Moreover, I've learned a long time ago to resist the hubris that however confident I may be in my analysis one should always be 1) data dependent, 2) focus more on those who disagree rather than the segment parroting views that mirror my own, and 3) change course the moment real world results dictate it. Unfortunately, this isn't an approach the US Gov't--local, state or Fed--has adopted historically.

Who knows, far as I know, the zero approach may be right for other countries--it's just not right for me or mine. We shall see.
Old Jan 21, 22, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
Since when does the WHO's mission include global economic policies?
I appreciate the statement is true - this is having economic impacts - but the WHO is not qualified to issue statements on social and economic stress.
Social and economic stress have serious health implications too, and there's a growing body of medical literature that appreciates how long-term health can be compromised by social and economic stresses.

WHO started out early on by saying its against travel bans. That seems to be its continuing position. Where is the border between travel restrictions being categorized as a travel ban and not being categorized as a travel ban? Who knows what WHO thinks on that.

Even countries that are called out as having "closed borders" have generally never had the borders completely closed during this pandemic. But having the borders completely closed is not a necessary condition for a travel ban of sorts to exist at a time.
northinsouth likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 21, 22 at 8:48 am
Old Jan 21, 22, 8:48 am
TBD

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Social and economic stress have serious health implications too, and there's a growing body of medical literature that appreciates how long-term health can be compromised by social and economic stresses.

WHO started out early on by saying its against travel bans. That seems to be its continuing position. Where is the border between travel restrictions being categorized as a travel ban and not being categorized as a travel ban? Who knows what WHO thinks on that.
Perhaps. But making headlines for these other areas does nothing to support credibility.
I would similarly think less of the CDC if they started issuing comments about the CBP.
Old Jan 21, 22, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
Perhaps. But making headlines for these other areas does nothing to support credibility.
I would similarly think less of the CDC if they started issuing comments about the CBP.
DHS/CBP does ask about communicable diseases, and CBP is definitely not the expert in diseases.

CDC should make comments about the CBP at times too -- and it's a shame that CDC haven't during some moments in the pandemic.
Old Jan 21, 22, 8:51 am
TBD

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
DHS/CBP does ask about communicable diseases.
That's great, but not what I was referring to.

Search this Thread