Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Impact on travel after positive PCR - how long before you test negative?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact on travel after positive PCR - how long before you test negative?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:30 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are these home antigen tests?
They look similar to what we get for home testing in the UK (free of charge from the NHS).
Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum
Husband fully vaxed and boostered - home recovering from surgery.
12/24 His family comes over christmas eve (against my wishes and I was right!).
12/26 Starts cold symptoms/ bad headache- thinks he has a sinus infection
12/27 Tests rapid test (CVS minute clinic) positive
1/1 Tests home test positive (very positive!) No more symptoms, feels fine.
1/3 Tests PCR positive
1/4 Tests PCR positive
1/5 Tests home test positive (barely positive)
1/6 Tests rapid test (CVS minute clinic) positive
1/7 last and final chance to test negative to go to Anguilla....fingers crossed!! (update: failed again. tested positive CVS minute clinic angtigen test.
This sucks!
u01sss3 and 36902BRF like this.

Last edited by dkc71; Jan 7, 2022 at 11:50 am
Old Jan 7, 2022, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by dkc71
Husband fully vaxed and boostered - home recovering from surgery.
12/24 His family comes over christmas eve (against my wishes and I was right!).
12/26 Starts cold symptoms/ bad headache- thinks he has a sinus infection
12/27 Tests rapid test (CVS minute clinic) positive
1/1 Tests home test positive (very positive!) No more symptoms, feels fine.
1/3 Tests PCR positive
1/4 Tests PCR positive
1/5 Tests home test positive (barely positive)
1/6 Tests rapid test (CVS minute clinic) positive
1/7 last and final chance to test negative to go to Anguilla....fingers crossed!!
Good luck!
Old Jan 9, 2022, 6:17 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I have a colleague who tested positive via PCR a day after his symptoms started. He's now at day 15 post symptoms and is still getting positive results on his rapid tests.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by gpeso8
I have a colleague who tested positive via PCR a day after his symptoms started. He's now at day 15 post symptoms and is still getting positive results on his rapid tests.
He's not the only one as this was my experience as well -- FWIW I am vaccinated and boosted, and had a very mild case (a cough, a bit sniffly, some fatigue), but continued to test positive long after I had expected to.

[Day -4]: I suspect this is when I got it, as I attended a not-well-ventilated indoors event, multiple of whose attendees later all tested positive. But of course it's impossible to know for sure!
Day 0: symptoms started as soon as I woke up (mucus-y cough in particular)
Day 1: took an antigen test in the evening, just the barest hint of a positive line
Day 2: took another antigen test in the morning, very clearly positive (line appeared within 2-3 minutes of taking the sample)
Day 5: symptoms had cleared up by this point with the exception of an occasional lingering cough
Day 13: still testing positive (faint line but clearly there) on antigen test
Day 14: even weaker but still visible positive line
Day 16: finally negative (I didn't have an antigen test to spare on day 15, so wasn't able to check what would have happened)

I guess what I'd say is that even for mild cases, I wouldn't assume that you will automatically test negative on antigen tests all that soon. By day 10 or so after my infection I was feeling totally fine, but had I been traveling to somewhere that required negative tests (and didn't allow proof of recovery or prior positive tests) I definitely would have ran into issues.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by N1120A
I believe you can, for the US and Canada - 14 days and a recovery letter exempts from testing for 3-6 months.
I don't know about Canada's requirements but this is what the US requires for using proof of recovery:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).
What if I recently recovered from COVID-19?

People who have recovered from COVID-19 can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after their infection. CDC does not recommend retesting within 3 months after a person with COVID-19 first developed symptoms of COVID-19 (or the date their sample was taken for their first positive viral diagnostic test if their infection was asymptomatic).

If you have had a positive viral test on a sample taken during the past 90 days, and you have met the criteria to end isolation, you may travel instead with your positive viral test results and a signed letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.”

A letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official that clears you to end isolation, e.g., to return to work or school, can be used to show you are cleared to travel, even if travel isn’t specifically mentioned in the letter. The letter must have information that identifies you personally (e.g., name and date of birth) that matches the personal identifiers on your passport or other travel documents. The letter must be signed and dated on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of the healthcare provider or public health official who signed the letter.

If you have recovered from COVID-19 but are not able to obtain documentation of recovery that fulfills the requirements, you will need to show a negative COVID-19 viral test result from a sample taken no more than 1 day before your flight to the US departs.

Even if you have recovered from COVID-19, if you develop symptoms of COVID-19 you should isolate, not travel, and consult with a healthcare provider for testing recommendations.

Last edited by 84fiero; Jan 10, 2022 at 9:10 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:26 am

i'm surprised that with more people getting covid this isn't an issue for countries which require a negative PCR before arrival - and those that do PCR testing on arrival it must be freaky as you don't know the sensitivity of those PCRs.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
i'm surprised that with more people getting covid this isn't an issue for countries which require a negative PCR before arrival - and those that do PCR testing on arrival it must be freaky as you don't know the sensitivity of those PCRs.
Yeah, anecdotally I've noticed a lot more posts on other busier forums (Reddit, TA, etc.) from people who are asymptomatic and tested positive on their pre-departure PCR, than I used to see.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Here's what Denmarks says about testing positive upon arrival. But yes, I haven't heard much about it.

What if I test positive?
Persons who test positive for COVID-19 after entry must comply with the self-isolation requirement, even if they belong to one of the groups of people who would otherwise be exempt. Nor are you allowed to break self-isolating if you test positive for COVID-19, even if you have a legitimate purpose to do so. However, you may temporarily break self-isolating to seek necessary treatment in the healthcare system, including in order to be tested. In this context, you should follow current recommendations to reduce the transmission of infection.duce the transmission of infection.

FAQ: Testing and isolation requirements after entry into Denmark
https://en.coronasmitte.dk/travel-ru...n-requirements
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Yeah, anecdotally I've noticed a lot more posts on other busier forums (Reddit, TA, etc.) from people who are asymptomatic and tested positive on their pre-departure PCR, than I used to see.
testing positive on predeparture is fine - your travel plans are cancelled. testing positive on arrival - you could be thrown into hospital for 14 days like thailand...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:04 pm

testing positive on predeparture is fine - your travel plans are cancelled. testing positive on arrival - you could be thrown into hospital for 14 days like thailand...
Indeed. Though I should clarify that this is also people testing pre-departure trying to come home from a foreign country - so still potential isolation issue for them.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.