Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

in some foreign cities/countries, same-day test costs US$482 or more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:30 am
Original Poster

in some foreign cities/countries, same-day test costs US$482 or more... this was after consulting with the United States consulate over there.... the very nice lady told me that they had gotten hundreds of calls/emails about this during the last several days. apparently there's no way around it and they had already researched all local testing labs and hospitals on this high cost... I asked her if there's a way around it... the answer was no. (well... flying to a different connecting city where same-day test can be done for as little as US$102.(at a public hospital, turn-around time 2 hours)

here's my question... am I the only one who thinks that the US government should reimburse some of this additional cost? (at least for those US citizens who have departed on their trips prior to the new rules being announced and are returning after next week)
Old Dec 5, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I don't know what countries you are talking about. I have had numerous free or low cost antigen tests in my travels so far. Pretty much anyplace that relies on tourism has been able to accommodate a one day turnaround. I do not think the government should reimburse you because of the new rule.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Bixax has a self-test kit with video proctor that is acceptable for travel purposes. $69 for a 2-pack (or $99 for 3) through Optum Health. 24/7 availability. All you need is an internet connection and smart phone. Take the test kits with you on your trip and use any time the day before you fly home. Easy peasy.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HibernateNow
in some foreign cities/countries, same-day test costs US$482 or more... this was after consulting with the United States consulate over there....
Where is "over there"?
Old Dec 5, 2021, 3:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I second the BinaxNow testing option, for as long as a reliable Wi-Fi connection is available in this country. Tests can only be purchased in the U.S., so plan ahead.

As for reimbursement, my view is that during the pandemic there are certain exceptional expenses that do and should fall on the traveler. Testing can be a steep cost item especially for families, and then there are also potential quarantine expenses should a test not be negative.
boss315 and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP
in some foreign cities/countries, same-day test costs US$482 or more... this was after consulting with the United States consulate over there.... the very nice lady told me that they had gotten hundreds of calls/emails about this during the last several days. apparently there's no way around it and they had already researched all local testing labs and hospitals on this high cost... I asked her if there's a way around it... the answer was no. (well... flying to a different connecting city where same-day test can be done for as little as US$102.(at a public hospital, turn-around time 2 hours)

here's my question... am I the only one who thinks that the US government should reimburse some of this additional cost? (at least for those US citizens who have departed on their trips prior to the new rules being announced and are returning after next week)
No, you're not. The govt should cover all these expenses. Honestly, I've wasted so much time going out of my way getting tested, etc, that I personally believe I should not only be reimbursed for the testing, but also for my time wasted running around getting tested, etc. And at the same rate I typically earn, not some $10 an hour bs.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by kmzandrew
No, you're not. The govt should cover all these expenses. Honestly, I've wasted so much time going out of my way getting tested, etc, that I personally believe I should not only be reimbursed for the testing, but also for my time wasted running around getting tested, etc. And at the same rate I typically earn, not some $10 an hour bs.
The 'gov' covering all your expenses basically means you and your taxes. If you travel for work and you incur such extreme costs for testing then you should be reimbursed by your employer as should your time. If this is for leisure, seek out cheaper alternatives but don't ask the gov ie taxpayer to cough up. Unfortunately this is now a reality but there are reasonable alternatives available.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you can’t afford the tests then don’t take the trip. Gov’t should not be covering this fee in any way shape or form. If you want to travel during the pandemic be prepared to have plans change last minute and be prepared to pay up for tests.

I say this as someone who has spent more than $1000 on tests for travel during this pandemic.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 6:20 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
In most developed, and developing countries that heavily rely on tourism, antigen tests are quick, affordable and widely available. If one wants to travel more "exotic" places, the onus is the traveler to make sure they have all the logistics in place. It make no sense for US taxpayers, most of which don't travel internationally even in regular years to be covering costs of leisure adventures for a few.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
I just want to know where you are talking about.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
I just want to know where you are talking about.
84fiero likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe La La Land.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
If you can’t afford the tests then don’t take the trip. Gov’t should not be covering this fee in any way shape or form. If you want to travel during the pandemic be prepared to have plans change last minute and be prepared to pay up for tests.

I say this as someone who has spent more than $1000 on tests for travel during this pandemic.
Disagree. The government along with unelected officials, has a whim to exert its power and control over people, and requires some tests that cost money.

If they have that whim, why do we need to pay for their games?

I wonder how this still stands legal grounds. This can potentially temporarily bar American citizens from entering their own country.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smartytravel
Disagree. The government along with unelected officials, has a whim to exert its power and control over people, and requires some tests that cost money.

If they have that whim, why do we need to pay for their games?

I wonder how this still stands legal grounds. This can potentially temporarily bar American citizens from entering their own country.
That’s what governments do, implement policies that they feel are best for the nation as a whole, not for individual situations. Don’t like it? You can vote them out in the next election.
northinsouth, tai4de2, m.y and 4 others like this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Dec 5, 2021 at 10:42 pm Reason: Remove OMNI/PR content.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:18 pm

As an American taxpayer,I am sick and tired of paying for everyone else for everything. You opt to fly, then pay! My budget isn’t generous enough to subsidize your vacations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.