Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

France - Entry Requirements

France - Entry Requirements

Old Dec 16, 21, 4:51 am

I've been trying for 3 weeks on the main AirFrance twitter and Messenger, and trying to call for days on 3 different country phone numbers.

At this point I'm desperate and getting scared.

How do I gather my luggage from my Air France flight in Paris (EDI to CDG, so from UK) to get on my Air Tahiti Nui flight (to USA LAX)? Paris is not my final destination and I don't need to go through EU customs. In fact, they could refuse me entry because I'm coming from the UK under the new rules - I HAVE to stay in the international area. Not sure "I'm here for 2 hours so I can GO HOME" will be considered a compelling reason.

They are separate flights, so my luggage wouldn't be booked through between the 2 different airlines. I need to know how to get my luggage without entering France. I'm running out of time.
Old Dec 16, 21, 5:09 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by Nicole Nowlin View Post
I've been trying for 3 weeks on the main AirFrance twitter and Messenger, and trying to call for days on 3 different country phone numbers.

At this point I'm desperate and getting scared.

How do I gather my luggage from my Air France flight in Paris (EDI to CDG, so from UK) to get on my Air Tahiti Nui flight (to USA LAX)? Paris is not my final destination and I don't need to go through EU customs. In fact, they could refuse me entry because I'm coming from the UK under the new rules - I HAVE to stay in the international area. Not sure "I'm here for 2 hours so I can GO HOME" will be considered a compelling reason.

They are separate flights, so my luggage wouldn't be booked through between the 2 different airlines. I need to know how to get my luggage without entering France. I'm running out of time.
I think you will have a problem with this. You would need to enter France to collect your luggage. Most likely you will be denied boarding at EDI. Air France would just see it as a journey to France and apply the rules accordingly. There is a small chance you could make it work if you travel without luggage. Sorry this is not what you want to hear and welcome to FT.
orbitmic, 36902BRF and SxMan like this.
Old Dec 16, 21, 5:11 am

From CDG:

Dear Nicole, Normally, in your situation, you have to enter the French territory so as to collect your bags and check-in them on your next flight. Nevertheless, due to travel restrictions, imposed to travellers coming from UK, which will be applied on Saturday you will need a compelling reason. Without a proof, you can’t enter in France. That’s why we invite you to remain in the international area and contact Air Tahiti Nui to get some help for your bags.

So I'm trying Air Tahiti Nui now to see if they can help me because I cannot get Air France.
Old Dec 16, 21, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Transit within 24hours is permitted so i don't think you will have any issues with entering France.
Old Dec 16, 21, 5:26 am

Where is that in the new guidance barring UK folks on 12/18? I haven't seen that rule anywhere and even the airport has said:

"You must fulfil all entry conditions on the French territory and be able to present all relevant documents, in order to collect your luggage and check it in with your next airline."
Old Dec 16, 21, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Nicole Nowlin View Post
Where is that in the new guidance barring UK folks on 12/18? I haven't seen that rule anywhere and even the airport has said:

"You must fulfil all entry conditions on the French territory and be able to present all relevant documents, in order to collect your luggage and check it in with your next airline."
See these links:
https://uk.ambafrance.org/Covid-19-C...aume-Uni-28925
https://www.gouvernement.fr/sites/de...16.12.2021.pdf
Air France may not consider this transit as the onward flight is not on the same ticket. One think I should have asked, I assume you do not have a French passport?
Old Dec 16, 21, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by cosmo74 View Post
Transit within 24hours is permitted so i don't think you will have any issues with entering France.

I am seeing this reported as well, although one report alluded to it referring only to those who stay airside. However DFDS are being quoted in the press as saying that you can transit through the country as long as it is less than 24 hours.

Is there any OFFICIAL line on this yet? I have a flight to CDG where I need to stop overnight for 10 hours then leave the country again. On separate tickets so no way the bags will be put through for me. I have to go landside for about 7 hours to continue the trip.
Old Dec 16, 21, 5:40 am

When I look at the rules here - red and orange both state "international zone" which means not leaving the international terminal, which means you and I both are unable to claim our bags to check them through ourselves. (Unfortunately I haven't posted enough to post a link, so give me a minute.)
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 16, 21, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Are these new rules for UK citizens only?
Old Dec 16, 21, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Are these new rules for UK citizens only?
For anyone arriving from the UK.
enviroian likes this.
Old Dec 16, 21, 7:28 am

OK, so can someone help me with this one please? I may be able to make my trip with hand luggage if I pack cleverly. In that instance, can I move from CDG Terminal 2A to 2C and stay airside?
Old Dec 16, 21, 7:59 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
From Consulate General of France in London website
https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-r...d-the-UK-28918

1. Travelling from the UK to France

LAST MINUTE :

⚠️ From Saturday 18 December 2021 (0.00) onwards, the following rules will apply to all people travelling from the United Kingdom, whether or not they are vaccinated:
  • Both non-vaccinated and vaccinated people will be required to have a compelling reason to travel to or from the UK. These reasons will be listed in the annex and at the following address: https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...t-et-de-voyage. People will not be permitted to travel as tourists or for professional reasons. Being French is a compelling reason to return to France. French people’s partners (spouses, PACS partners or cohabiting partners (on presentation of proof of cohabitation)) and their children will still be able to travel to France.
  • Vaccinated people will have to present on departure a negative PCR or TAG test less than 24 hours old.
  • Before they travel, anyone coming from the UK will be required to register on a digital platform allowing them, among other things, to state the address for their stay in France. This platform will generate prefectoral orders requiring all non-vaccinated and vaccinated travellers to isolate in their chosen place. This requirement to isolate can be lifted after 48 hours, on condition that a negative PCR or TAG test is proven.
Checks will be organized to ensure these measures are properly implemented.
The Government also calls on people who were planning to travel to the UK to postpone their trips.

N.B. Self-administered tests whose results are not certified by a laboratory (e.g. free tests provided by the NHS) are not authorized for travel. The NHS has stated that it will not carry out any tests for the purposes of travel. People should therefore use private organizations providing a similar service. No specific tests exist which are linked to the new variant identified.

Pre-departure tests carried out on French territory may be used for your return to France if they comply with the time criteria (less than 24 hours old) and contain the necessary information (type of test, date and time, name of laboratory, your full name and date of birth etc.).

N.B. We also strongly advise you to contact your travel operator to find out more about their travel requirements.
Old Dec 16, 21, 8:07 am

Quite surprising that the ban applies to those with booster(s) when the science on its effectiveness against the new deadly variant is very clear and the UK has delivered many more boosters than certain Member States of the EU which are able to travel freely to France.

I feel like there's been a U-Turn on vaccines granting us the right to travel freely which is very disappointing at this time of the year. People are coming together and heeding the call to boost and test in order to protect their families. This is ammunition for the far-right anti-vaxxers/boosters because the French are just not following the science that the boosters reduce transmission.

Thankfully this ban doesn't apply to me so our NYE plans to be in Paris can go ahead.
enviroian, MaxFlyer, DaveS and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 21, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, MB Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PAL62V View Post
OK, so can someone help me with this one please? I may be able to make my trip with hand luggage if I pack cleverly. In that instance, can I move from CDG Terminal 2A to 2C and stay airside?
I’m not an expert on CDG but I had to go landside to get from 2A to 2E and vice-versa.
Old Dec 16, 21, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer View Post
I’m not an expert on CDG but I had to go landside to get from 2A to 2E and vice-versa.
Perhaps you went to or from a non-Schengen to a Schengen area?

!'m 2A to 2C. Looking at this: https://easycdg.com/passenger-inform...s-cdg-airport/ it seems to be OK. I am going non-Schengen to non-Schengen which states: You must pass through Security control (No passport control nor visa required).

I just want someone to tell me that is definately the case so I can stop worrying!

Search this Thread