France - Entry Requirements

Old Dec 12, 2021, 4:29 am

Landed yesterday at CDG from LHR together with quite a few US/CAN arrivals. No particular checks whatsoever. I had a test done the day before but that wasn't checked by BA on departure and wasn't requested by the police on arrival. Just a browse of the passport, a cursory glance to the Pass Sanitaire and "Bonne journée".
Old Dec 12, 2021, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
My sister and family live in Kent, UK. They are planning a ski trip in France in two days and getting there via the eurotunnel le shuttle (driving their car on it). She is convinced France is about to shut their doors to UK citizens. What do you think?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: AA ExP, Globalist
As an anecdotal data point on entry requirements for vaccinated travelers from the US:

The Verifly app used by AA includes a Covid Test requirement in its predeparture checklist for flight to France, but once your vaccination is confirmed in a prior step, the test step is skipped and marked as complete. This suggests to me that Verifly interprets the French entry requirements for vaccinated US travelers as needing to be vaccinated or tested but not both.

The question remains - do you trust Verifly to interpret the new regulations or not (but it seems like the carrier does and they've got some skin in the game as well).

Old Dec 13, 2021, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by jef787
As an anecdotal data point on entry requirements for vaccinated travelers from the US:

The Verifly app used by AA includes a Covid Test requirement in its predeparture checklist for flight to France, but once your vaccination is confirmed in a prior step, the test step is skipped and marked as complete. This suggests to me that Verifly interprets the French entry requirements for vaccinated US travelers as needing to be vaccinated or tested but not both.

The question remains - do you trust Verifly to interpret the new regulations or not (but it seems like the carrier does and they've got some skin in the game as well).
I wouldn't trust the app when it's been stated that only traveler's coming from EU countries need not be tested.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Dec 13, 2021 at 9:54 am Reason: Removed image from quoted post for readability
Old Dec 13, 2021, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I agree. You can’t rely on the app. Go by the government website for rules.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Globalist
AA sent an updated email today stating that the Verifly rules had been updated for my flight ("PCR or antigen test required within 48 hours of departure"), which is consistent with my reading of the update.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Flying USA-CDG. Can I use a Binax at-home antigen test? Can't find anything conclusive.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Flying USA-CDG. Can I use a Binax at-home antigen test? Can't find anything conclusive.
As long as you get a certificate from the lab then it should be fine.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:57 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
France says Défense d'entrer

BBC reporting:
We have more on the restrictions France is announcing on travellers. The new measures will be officially put out later, but their substance is now clear: from Saturday, people coming from the UK will be required to have a negative Covid test of less than 24 hours.

Once in France, they will have to self-isolate for a week, but that period of quarantine can be ended after 48 hours if they have a second negative test once in France.

Compelling reasons will be needed for entry, which includes visiting family - but not tourism or non-urgent work reasons.

The new measures apply to everyone regardless of whether they have been vaccinated.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-59679703
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:33 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
I predict there will be another wave of border closures over the next few weeks.

We are starting to resign ourselves to a rerun of 2020 in 2022
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:07 am

Programs: Yes
I really don't understand what this is trying to achieve - the map of Omicron "spread" in Europe is pretty much congruent with the map of the amount of genetic sequencing in Europe. Just like South Africa was unfairly punished with a ton of travel bans for "detecting" the variant, now it's the UK's turn (again - we've been here before, almost exactly a year ago).
I would have hoped that with a bit of distance we would have learnt something from the previous responses, but it seems to be too politically dangerous to follow the WHO on this - it is much easier to just slam the door on some foreigners and then being able to claim to be in control and "having done everything to slow the spread". That applies to all (Western) governments.
bpk6h, LETTERBOY, Goldorak and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:20 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Quark999
I would have hoped that with a bit of distance we would have learnt something from the previous responses, but it seems to be too politically dangerous to follow the WHO on this - it is much easier to just slam the door on some foreigners and then being able to claim to be in control and "having done everything to slow the spread". That applies to all (Western) governments.
This is the key point here, there is almost no political downside to closing borders unnecessarily right now whereas there is huge potential political downside to not doing so. It's also a much easier decision to make than domestic restrictions with almost no push back outside the travel industry (a large chunk of the people you annoy can't vote for you anyway and many people have this weird idea that international travel is morally wrong right now in a way that e.g. going to bar isn't), which also helps.

I suppose there's an argument about delaying the spread to allow more boosters to be delivered here, but if that was the reasoning the question is why it wasn't done a week ago before material local transmission started in France. Now it definitely just looks like too little, too late ...
bpk6h, konagirl2 and nk15 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:47 am

The BBC article includes “visiting family” as a compelling reason; I’m not sure that is the case?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by shonerm
The BBC article includes “visiting family” as a compelling reason; I’m not sure that is the case?
The details are not clear yet. I suspect that catching up with your cousins won't be but visiting a dying parent will be as will travel reuniting children with their divorced parents and vice versa.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 4:13 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Who would've thought that in 2021 we would be at the mercy of bureaucrats to determine the justification and emotional weight of our travels and encounters. In the so-called "free world" to boot.

Not to mention that this is a massive shot in the foot of the booster shot campaign. The social contract of vaccine = responsibility = freedom of movement is dead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.