Community
Wiki Posts
Search

France - Entry Requirements

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2021, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
If you were in the unusual position of having a positive LFT so took an NHS PCR which was negative then you could use it to travel to France.
Computer says 'no';
Attention les tests auto-administrés, dont les résultats ne sont pas certifiés par un laboratoire (ex : tests fournis gratuitement par le NHS), ne sont pas autorisés pour voyager. Le NHS indique qu’il n’effectuera aucun test pour voyager. Il faut donc recourir aux structures privées proposant un service similaire. Il n’existe pas de test spécifique lié ŕ la nouvelle variante qui a été identifiée.
Source: https://uk.ambafrance.org/Covid-19-C...vers-la-France

And in English: https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-r...d-the-UK-28918

Last edited by SarahWest; Dec 3, 2021 at 4:50 pm Reason: Found document en Anglais 🙂
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by SarahWest
My reading of that is that unsurprisingly the NHS won't do a PCR test for the purposes of travel so don't plan to use them, but if you happen to be eligible for a NHS PCR test for other reasons the certificate, if they give you one, isn't specifically invalid. We might never find out - it'd be a rare set of circumstances that allowed anyone to have one and probably easier to just get a LFT at Boots .
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I'd deleted the TousAntiCovid app after my last visit to France. I thought I'd read that converting overseas certificates now needed a visit to a French pharmacy, so wouldn't be able to "self-convert" using the app.
No, they just stopped issuing the French certificate online, leaving the pharmacy as the only option in France. It isn't that previously issued certificates from the website application are no longer valid, just a switch in methodology for obtaining a French EU DCC certificate (QR code). In fact they continued approving certificates for people who submitted online applications before the website was shut down. The TAC app isn't a "self-conversion", you have to already have a valid EU DCC compliant QR code certificate for the TAC app to capture it, whether from the prior French website, French pharmacy, some other EU compliant country, etc. The TAC app isn't an EU DCC in itself, it captures EU DCC QR codes.
EsherFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 6:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond , Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
I have a flight to Seychelles via CDG this coming Wednesday and got the following text message and email from Air France:

“Air France AF 0009 on 08/12/2021: New measures for entry into France as from 04 December for all customers (vaccinated or not): Present a negative RT-PCR OR antigenic test performed 48h before your flight. Thank you for your understanding.”

We should disregard the message to my understanding after reading the previous posts , because we are in transit and in CDG’s case when you have a connection flight you don’t technically enter the country?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: KF Gold
following. I haven’t been able to find anything concrete either. Im going to be flying in from Lapland on an Australian passport so am trying to work out if Santa’s village has a testing station if I want to play it safe. I will have been in the EU for only 4 days after flying in from Singapore but haven’t seen anything that says I need to have been in the EU for x number of days to be exempt.

Yes, I think it's any nationality as long as you can prove the vaccination status if asked. A French Passe Sanitaire would be the obvious thing to use if you have it. Hopefully those checking will be familiar with non-EU vaccination certificates as well. Not sure how fussy they will be about which vaccines have been used. Remember they are also adding new "booster" requirements for over 65 in mid-Dec that might complicate things.

EDIT: A quick read of the previous Article 2-2 notes on what counts suggests it is quite broad, not mentioning any specific form of certificate and also allowing proof of previous infection (over 11 days but less than 6 months old).
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:11 pm

Checked in at LHR T5 going to France, no worries. She said we're vaccinated so don't need a test ....... which is clearly wrong. She checked her system, says the same. Looks like not all systems are aligned so might be lots of people turned away at the border, unless they have it sorted by boarding time and check again?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flashware
Checked in at LHR T5 going to France, no worries. She said we're vaccinated so don't need a test ....... which is clearly wrong. She checked her system, says the same. Looks like not all systems are aligned so might be lots of people turned away at the border, unless they have it sorted by boarding time and check again?
And the airline would probably be fined for allowing passengers through when they shouldn’t of been.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:49 pm

Update from the French gov't website (note that AF.com is still saying that they're thinking about it):

Covid-19 : changement des rčgles de déplacement et de voyages depuis et vers l'étranger ŕ compter du 4 décembre

Afin de lutter contre la circulation épidémique liée ŕ la Covid-19, de nouvelles rčgles de déplacements et de voyages entrent en vigueur ŕ partir du 4 décembre 2021.

Désormais, toute personne entrant sur le territoire français doit présenter un test PCR ou antigénique négatif de moins de 24h ou 48h en fonction du pays de provenance. Seule exception, les personnes présentant un schéma vaccinal complet n’ont pas ŕ présenter de test, lorsqu'elles arrivent d'un État membre de l'Union européenne, d'Andorre, d'Islande, du Liechtenstein, de Monaco, de la Norvčge, de Saint-Marin, du Saint-Sičge ou de la Suisse.

Par ailleurs, pour faire face ŕ la propagation du variant Omicron la classification des pays, définie sur la base des indicateurs sanitaires a évolué, avec l'ajout d'une classification pays "rouge écarlate" :
  • Pays Ť verts ť : pas de circulation active du virus.
  • Pays Ť orange ť : circulation active du virus dans des proportions maîtrisées.
  • Pays Ť rouges ť : circulation active du virus, présence de variants préoccupants.
  • Pays "rouge écarlate" : circulation particuličrement active du virus et/ou découverte d’un variant susceptible de présenter un risque de transmissibilité accrue ou d’échappement immunitaire.

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...t-et-de-voyage

Edit to add... there's an English version at the bottom: https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...ational-travel

“Green list”countries and territories: Countries or territories where no active circulation of the virus is observed and no variant of concern is identified. These are the countries in the European area, plus Argentina, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, New Zealand, Qatar, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Taiwan, Union of the Comoros, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay and Vanuatu.

“Amber list”countries: Countries where active circulation of the virus is observed in controlled proportions, without spread of any variants of concern. These are all countries not included in the “green” and “red” list countries.

“Red list”countries: Countries where active circulation of the virus is observed with the presence of variants of concern. These include the following countries: Afghanistan, Belarus, Brazil, Costa - Rica, Cuba, Georgia, Moldavia, Montenegro, Pakistan, Russia, Serbia, Suriname, Turkey, Ukraine.

“Scarlet list” countries: Countries where there is very active circulation of the virus and discovery of a variant that may pose a risk of increased transmissibility or immune escape. These include the following countries: South Africa, Lesotho, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Namibia, Eswatini, Malawi, Zambia and Mauritius.
The measures applied to vaccinated adults are extended under the same conditions to their accompanying minors, whether vaccinated or not.

Amber countries rules:

If already vaccinated, you shall provide evidence of your vaccination status, a sworn statement certifying the absence of COVID-19 symptoms and of any contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19, as well as results of a virological (PCR) or antigen screening test taken less than 48 hours prior to departure that did not detect any COVID-19 contamination, in order to enter Metropolitan France.

If unvaccinated, you must present the transport company and the border authorities with results of a virological (PCR) or antigen biological screening test taken less than 48 hours prior to departure that did not detect any COVID-19 contamination, in order to enter Metropolitan France.

If travelling from the United Kingdom and unvaccinated, you must present a negative PCR or antigen test taken less than 24 hours prior to departure. 
The departure of the first flight is considered in case of connecting flight(s). Children under 12 years of age are exempt from testing.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
Update from the French gov't website (note that AF.com is still saying that they're thinking about it):

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...t-et-de-voyage

Edit to add... there's an English version at the bottom: https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...ational-travel
Yes, exactly.

I went to the ticketing desk in the first lounge, said they might want to go and check and she basically told me to f*** off. Nice. First class service indeed. Went and spoke to a lady at reception at the First lounge and she thanked me profusely and was going to follow up with their internal COVID line, so hopefully they'll check the docs etc. at boarding. Perhaps France is making an allowance for morning flights today given the late notice? Anyway..... just trying to be helpful to avoid them having to turn around most of the plane of people.

Yet strangely on https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...l-travel#from4 it says:

2.1. Mobility rules and regulations

If you are already vaccinated, no restrictions shall apply when entering metropolitan France.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:57 pm

Yes, exactly.

I went to the ticketing desk in the first lounge, said they might want to go and check and she basically told me to f*** off. Nice. First class service indeed. Went and spoke to a lady at reception at the First lounge and she thanked me profusely and was going to follow up with their internal COVID line, so hopefully they'll check the docs etc. at boarding. Perhaps France is making an allowance for morning flights today given the late notice? Anyway..... just trying to be helpful to avoid them having to turn around most of the plane of people.
Thing is, the airlines rely on TIMATIC and on what authorities tell them.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
Thing is, the airlines rely on TIMATIC and on what authorities tell them.
I'll report back on what happens. We scrambled around and managed to get a test yesterday so we're fine. Will be interesting to see what happens with the rest.....

Edit: but it's also no excuse for being rude, I was just trying to help them. Fortunately the lady on reception was much more thankful.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 1:07 am

Have just boarded, they said no test is required. Will be interesting to see what happens when the flight lands.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:26 am

Yes, exactly.
Yet strangely on https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...l-travel#from4 it says:

2.1. Mobility rules and regulations

If you are already vaccinated, no restrictions shall apply when entering metropolitan France.
EDIT: My reading is that they are separating out the restriction on making the journey from what you have to do in relation to public health:

2.2. Health control measures

If already vaccinated, you shall provide evidence of your vaccination status...as well as results of a ... test taken less than 48 hours prior to departure ...
NickB likes this.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Dec 4, 2021 at 3:21 am
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:45 am

Some words that almost address some of the Qs above but actually perhaps sow more confusion are in that document

It says "If travelling from the United Kingdom and unvaccinated, you must present a negative PCR or antigen test taken less than 24 hours prior to departure. 
The departure of the first flight is considered in case of connecting flight(s). Children under 12 years of age are exempt from testing."

The bolded part would be useful for US, etc travellers if it was a separate sentence, but as written could be interpreted as only applying if connecting via UK, and unvaccinated. The French version also has the same structure.

But since the bit about "under 12" is structured the same way and is know to be valid across all groups I think it's reasonable to assume they meant to have the connection and age limit rules positioned to apply to all passengers: vaccinated or not, from UK or not.

EDIT: Going back to read the Red and Scarlet rules they are a bit more liberal in applying that connection phrase to multiple scenarios, so pretty safe to apply it to Orange as well IMHO.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Dec 4, 2021 at 2:55 am
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:48 am

I'll report back on what happens. We scrambled around and managed to get a test yesterday so we're fine.
Really pleased to hear that and hope it all goes well.

I convinced myself rather late yesterday that things like Boots 1h antigen would be OK, and easier to manage time criticality with. But it felt too late to suggest it to you without potentially causing increased anxiety. Did you go PCR or antigen in the end?
flashware likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.