France - Entry Requirements

Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Utskicat
Any update on transit passengers?
The rules are only for entry, so if staying airside they won't apply. I don't think they'll release guidance for situations that don't need any.

If it's a 24h transit leaving airport then you enter France, and rules would apply.

EDIT: There are notes under the red and orange "allowed reasons" of the guide linked above saying you can travel to France and stay in the airport international zone while waiting for transit.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Dec 3, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by flashware
Given the UK NHS vaccination certificate is deemed to be part of the EU DCC scheme now, applying that logic means we should be able to enter without a test. But...... nope, we require a test as of today.
Not sure how you make that connection. We UK isn't a part of the EU freedom of movement arrangements. That's different to the DCC thing.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Utskicat
Any update on transit passengers?
I Tweeted the French Ministry asking them this and they referred me back to my travel agent, airline and airport…. Crazy!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Not sure how you make that connection. We UK isn't a part of the EU freedom of movement arrangements. That's different to the DCC thing.
Because some posters are referring to having a French vaccination certificate, on the basis they got issued one using their US CDC jabs. So on that basis, they're not true EU issued vax certs either, so therefore not valid for the exemption.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I Tweeted the French Ministry asking them this and they referred me back to my travel agent, airline and airport…. Crazy!
What sort of transit is it you're asking about? Stay in airport or overnight in hotel?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by flashware
Because some posters are referring to having a French vaccination certificate, on the basis they got issued one using their US CDC jabs. So on that basis, they're not true EU issued vax certs either, so therefore not valid for the exemption.
I think there's confusion from not joining up words across two sentences (and remember they were written by US embassy to summarise):

Unvaccinated people entering France from another EU member country will need to have a negative Covid test performed in the 24 hours before their trip. Fully vaccinated people with a French or EU health pass will not require a test.
Should be read as:
For entry to France from another EU member country:
  • Unvaccinated people will need to have a negative Covid test performed in the 24 hours before their trip.
  • Fully vaccinated people with a French or EU health pass will not require a test.
So if you're a UK or US citizen already in the EU with a Pass Sanitaire and crossing the border to France that will be good enough.

But not for arrival to France from outside EU, which was the earlier bit of the embassy text: "All people age 12 and over entering France from outside the European Union will require a negative COVID test performed within 48 hours before departure, regardless of their vaccination status"
Statman, flashware and 84fiero like this.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Dec 3, 2021 at 1:51 pm
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

What sort of transit is it you're asking about? Stay in airport or overnight in hotel?
Stay in the airport airside to catch the connecting flight same day.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:01 pm

Stay in the airport airside to catch the connecting flight same day.
The rules relate to entry to France, and you're not entering.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:31 pm

I think there's confusion from not joining up words across two sentences (and remember they were written by US embassy to summarise):

Should be read as:

So if you're a UK or US citizen already in the EU with a Pass Sanitaire and crossing the border to France that will be good enough.

But not for arrival to France from outside EU, which was the earlier bit of the embassy text: "All people age 12 and over entering France from outside the European Union will require a negative COVID test performed within 48 hours before departure, regardless of their vaccination status"
seems to be getting even more complicated. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it your interpretation that a US citizen already in a EU country needs a French or EU health pass to avoid a negative test to enter France? Most articles just say travelers arriving from another EU country to France do not need to show negative test if vaccinated. So still unclear if it's travelers from another EU country regardless of nationality, or is it just EU member citizens who do not have to test(makes more sense)

Edit-found this on French government site:
  • From December 4, any person aged 12 and over entering French territory must present a negative PCR or antigen test of less than 24 or 48 hours depending on the country of origin. The only exception is that people with a complete vaccination schedule do not have to take a test when they arrive from a Member State of the European Union, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, the Holy See or Switzerland.
seems to indicate you don't need to be a citizen of EU country.

Last edited by theplayer; Dec 3, 2021 at 2:42 pm
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by theplayer
seems to be getting even more complicated. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it your interpretation that a US citizen already in a EU country needs a French or EU health pass to avoid a negative test to enter France? Most articles just say travelers arriving from another EU country to France do not need to show negative test if vaccinated. So still unclear if it's travelers from another EU country regardless of nationality, or is it just EU member citizens who do not have to test(makes more sense)

Edit-found this on French government site:
  • From December 4, any person aged 12 and over entering French territory must present a negative PCR or antigen test of less than 24 or 48 hours depending on the country of origin. The only exception is that people with a complete vaccination schedule do not have to take a test when they arrive from a Member State of the European Union, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, the Holy See or Switzerland.
seems to indicate you don't need to be a citizen of EU country.
Yes, I think it's any nationality as long as you can prove the vaccination status if asked. A French Passe Sanitaire would be the obvious thing to use if you have it. Hopefully those checking will be familiar with non-EU vaccination certificates as well. Not sure how fussy they will be about which vaccines have been used. Remember they are also adding new "booster" requirements for over 65 in mid-Dec that might complicate things.

EDIT: A quick read of the previous Article 2-2 notes on what counts suggests it is quite broad, not mentioning any specific form of certificate and also allowing proof of previous infection (over 11 days but less than 6 months old).

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Dec 3, 2021 at 3:02 pm
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:58 pm

Did you detect a Gallic shrug in their response?
EsherFlyer and Silver Fox like this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SarahWest
Did you detect a Gallic shrug in their response?
Funny you say that as I sensed a ‘we don’t care’ attitude in their response for sure. Unfortunately this in turn made my reply more curt.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:38 pm

I'd deleted the TousAntiCovid app after my last visit to France. I thought I'd read that converting overseas certificates now needed a visit to a French pharmacy, so wouldn't be able to "self-convert" using the app. However I was just able to reinstall and activate it by scanning my UK NHS QR code from PC screen. I'm assuming that's because the UK is in the 25 counties that have joined the EU DCC programme (https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-...certificate_en), so unlikely to work for US, etc certificates.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:53 pm

Yes, I think it's any nationality as long as you can prove the vaccination status if asked. A French Passe Sanitaire would be the obvious thing to use if you have it. Hopefully those checking will be familiar with non-EU vaccination certificates as well. Not sure how fussy they will be about which vaccines have been used. Remember they are also adding new "booster" requirements for over 65 in mid-Dec that might complicate things.

EDIT: A quick read of the previous Article 2-2 notes on what counts suggests it is quite broad, not mentioning any specific form of certificate and also allowing proof of previous infection (over 11 days but less than 6 months old).
sounds right, I have the French health pass, but my wife doesn't. We are flying to Madrid first for a few days, then to Nice. So I'm just trying to figure out if we both need to test or just her, both vaccinated. It appears we don't.

Last edited by theplayer; Dec 3, 2021 at 4:02 pm
Old Dec 3, 2021, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by theplayer
sounds right, I have the French health pass, but my wife doesn't. We are flying to Madrid first for a few days, then to Nice. So I'm just trying to figure out if we both need to test or just her, both vaccinated. It appears we don't.
The French have a system to allow you to get a pass from some pharmacies for EUR36 (https://www.sante.fr/how-to-obtain-a-french-health-pass) which I think is then valid EU wide. If you can find the same in Spain to then use in France it'd save you spending about the same on an antigen test.

EDIT: After a bit more reading it seems that there isn't an equivalent in Spain since the use of apps, etc for access to various facilities is a lot more piecemeal.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Dec 3, 2021 at 4:36 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.