Wiki Posts
Search

France - Entry Requirements

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
With many flights from the US to Paris on Air France, I've never had to fill it out. I've been asked, and always I just ignore it.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 5:31 am

Urgh... it's just a terribly cumbersome website to use. I've had to do it for Italy before, and I hate it
Old May 9, 2022, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver
proof of vaccination to enter France

For a US person flying from the UK to France, how do you prove your COVID vaccination status? Everything I can find online says that France will only accept vaccine certificates with QR codes on them. However, the CDC cards issued here in the US don't have QR codes. Presumably the French will not accept these, so how do you get into France -- just take a test the day before flying?
Old May 11, 2022, 6:53 am

Clearly some US citizens are managing to enter France, but how exactly is this happening given that our vaccination certificates don’t have QR codes?
Old May 11, 2022, 7:17 am

Where are you even reading this? According to the IATA, the only requirement is to have a vaccination certificate (no mention of a QR code). The CDC card has been almost universally accepted throughout Europe for the last year, and most of Europe has already dropped most of the requirements, anyway.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CDC cards are fine.
IADit and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:57 am

Just beware, last vaccination (without booster) must not be over 270 days old (9 months).

I have been flying quite a lot and that happened only once and sometime ago, but we never know.

If you had the booster shoot, there is no time limit.

If you are not vaccinated or vaccinated (without booster) over 270 days before your arrival you can have :
  • a negative PCR test, 72 hours before departure (embarkation point)
  • a negative antigen, 24 hours before departure (embarkation point)
IADit likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:05 am

I’ve read this on every French government item of online guidance. They say that proof of vaccination = the EU standard = a QR readable document. French immigration officials are not exactly known for their flexibility!
Old May 11, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

French immigration don’t check the documentation. That is done by the airline. I’ve been flying to Paris monthly since last July. The only time I’ve been asked for anything other than my passport at immigration was back in January when they had restrictions for flights from the UK and I got asked for my BP to prove I came from the US. The QR health pass was only used internally to access certain venues but that is no longer needed.
IADit and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TomMM
French immigration don’t check the documentation. That is done by the airline.
Yes and the airline employees at US airports are people who live in the US. And they see a hundred CDC cards a day. Or certain smartphone apps like the New York Excelsior Pass. Those work too, at least at NYC airports. And if you do happen to have the French COVID app, that works too at US airports.
Old May 11, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by axelcaroli
Just beware, last vaccination (without booster) must not be over 270 days old (9 months).

I have been flying quite a lot and that happened only once and sometime ago, but we never know.

If you had the booster shoot, there is no time limit.

If you are not vaccinated or vaccinated (without booster) over 270 days before your arrival you can have :
  • a negative PCR test, 72 hours before departure (embarkation point)
  • a negative antigen, 24 hours before departure (embarkation point)
I thought that covid recovery is also acceptable.

We have positive PCR tests (done in Canada) from late January, 2022. Double-vaccinated, since summer of 2021, but not boosted.

Next week we are flying Canada - UK, two days in London, then UK - France. Should I be looking for an antigen test in London, or would our Canadian 3-month-old positive PCR test be enough?

On one French website I saw a requirement for the positive test to have been administered in France, which I thought was odd. Others don't mention that. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old May 11, 2022, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
I thought that covid recovery is also acceptable.

We have positive PCR tests (done in Canada) from late January, 2022. Double-vaccinated, since summer of 2021, but not boosted.

Next week we are flying Canada - UK, two days in London, then UK - France. Should I be looking for an antigen test in London, or would our Canadian 3-month-old positive PCR test be enough?

On one French website I saw a requirement for the positive test to have been administered in France, which I thought was odd. Others don't mention that. Any advice would be appreciated.
The UK is a "green" country currently, so you can travel to France per the "not vaccinated" rules (since your vaccination is out of date) -

"Unvaccinated travelers must present a negative result of a PCR test less than 72 hours or an antigen test less than 48 hours before departure (departure of the first flight in the event of a connection), or a certificate of recovery (positive result of a PCR or antigen test carried out more than eleven days and less than six months previously. This certificate is only valid for a period of six months from the date of the examination or test)."

So it seems if you have a positive PCR from January you are OK. The language is a bit confusing though, it says "certificate of recovery" but then seems to define that as a positive test result. The US, for example, requires a positive test result and also a certificate of recovery (eg a letter from your doctor). I would feel a lot more comfortable if you had both a test result and a doctor's note to be safe.
Old May 11, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Doppy
The UK is a "green" country currently, so you can travel to France per the "not vaccinated" rules (since your vaccination is out of date) -

"Unvaccinated travelers must present a negative result of a PCR test less than 72 hours or an antigen test less than 48 hours before departure (departure of the first flight in the event of a connection), or a certificate of recovery (positive result of a PCR or antigen test carried out more than eleven days and less than six months previously. This certificate is only valid for a period of six months from the date of the examination or test)."

So it seems if you have a positive PCR from January you are OK. The language is a bit confusing though, it says "certificate of recovery" but then seems to define that as a positive test result. The US, for example, requires a positive test result and also a certificate of recovery (eg a letter from your doctor). I would feel a lot more comfortable if you had both a test result and a doctor's note to be safe.
Thank you. We also have doctor's letters that we got for a US trip in March. I may also try find and ask a BA agent at LHR the day we arrive.
Old May 24, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Clarification needed regarding "fully vaccinated with booster". Entry to France now requires the following to be considered fully vaccinated:
"For their vaccination status to remain considered as complete, travelers aged 18 or more wishing to enter the French territory must have received a complementary dose of Messenger RNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) no later than 9 months following the injection of the last required dose."
My booster shot was given more than 9 months after my 2nd shot. Does that mean I'm not considered vaccinated? Or does it just mean that anytime after 9 months after your 2nd shot, you must also have proof of a booster (3rd) shot?
Old May 25, 2022, 5:31 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Utskicat
Clarification needed regarding "fully vaccinated with booster". Entry to France now requires the following to be considered fully vaccinated:
"For their vaccination status to remain considered as complete, travelers aged 18 or more wishing to enter the French territory must have received a complementary dose of Messenger RNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) no later than 9 months following the injection of the last required dose."
My booster shot was given more than 9 months after my 2nd shot. Does that mean I'm not considered vaccinated? Or does it just mean that anytime after 9 months after your 2nd shot, you must also have proof of a booster (3rd) shot?
It means any time after the 9 months/270 days, you need a booster.
alex67500 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.