Community
Wiki Posts
Search

France - Entry Requirements

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
So on a multi-leg trip when does the 48 hours start from? I would of thought from the last direct flight to France but then the USA is saying for them it’s from the first flight in the itinerary.

It would be good if the guidance was a bit more explicit. I mean, we’ve been here before so it’s not new ground that we’re covering!
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:13 am

If you fly from the UK though, you do need an antigen or PCR test. I rushed around today as due to fly out first thing tomorrow; after 15 "sorry we don't have appointment" calls managed to get 1. Jumped on our bike and off we went. Certificate just came in, so I'll report back tomorrow morning if I have any issues checking in. Hopefully I'll be sitting in the F lounge with a well earned glass of bubbles....

Gov site with info is here: https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-cor...s/deplacements
  • From December 4, 2021, any person aged 12 and over entering French territory must present a negative PCR or antigen test of less than 24 or 48 hours depending on the country of origin . The only exception is that people with a complete vaccination schedule do not have to take a test when they arrive from a Member State of the European Union, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, the Holy See or Switzerland.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:18 am

From US embassy in France:
"On December 1, the French government announced new testing requirements for people entering France. Beginning December 4, all people age 12 and over entering France from outside the European Union will require a negative COVID test performed within 48 hours before departure, regardless of their vaccination status. Unvaccinated people entering France from another EU member country will need to have a negative Covid test performed in the 24 hours before their trip. Fully vaccinated people with a French or EU health pass will not require a test."

I haven't seen the bolded part mentioned yet. How does this make sense?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by theplayer
"On December 1, the French government announced new testing requirements for people entering France. Beginning December 4, all people age 12 and over entering France from outside the European Union will require a negative COVID test performed within 48 hours before departure, regardless of their vaccination status. Unvaccinated people entering France from another EU member country will need to have a negative Covid test performed in the 24 hours before their trip. Fully vaccinated people with a French or EU health pass will not require a test."

That's correct, as they're EU passport holders (or residents) if they hold those vaccination certificates.... and they're exempt currently.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by flashware
That's correct, as they're EU passport holders (or residents) if they hold those vaccination certificates.... and they're exempt currently.
many US citizens received the French health pass, including me. There is a thread on it, was a simple application just needed to upload CDC card and flight info...but they stopped processing last month.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
many US citizens received the French health pass, including me. There is a thread on it, was a simple application just needed to upload CDC card and flight info...but they stopped processing last month.
I have one too but where is this written officially?

And will the airlines know this
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by eng3
I found this page: https://covid-19.sante.gouv.fr/tests
Might be helpful.
But still, I don't expect the average airport checkin agent to know which tests are acceptable. Most will probably just look for the date and NEGATIVE. But you never know when you might get someone different. Plus I dont know if they check on arrival in France.

I thought you needed a 24hr test if arriving from an EU country.
One of the rapid antigen tests administered at CVS is LumiraDX which is on the list but check with the specific Minute Clinic before you go. Also on the list is Abbott ID Now (Rapid PCR) which you can get at both CVS (limited sites) and Walgreens. The antigen test turnaround is usually 20 mins and the ID Now which is a fast PCR is a few hours. Your results will have the name of the test that was administered.

Last edited by sbandy; Dec 3, 2021 at 11:22 am
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:13 am

LumiraDX is what I had at Boots today.

Interesting that the consulate was saying 24 or 48 hours for tests if coming from the UK, but the press release is very clear that it must be <24 hours only.
(3) Test PCR ou antigénique négatif < 24h pour le Royaume-Uni.

https://www.gouvernement.fr/sites/de...1221_3ep_0.pdf
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by sbandy
One of the rapid antigen tests administered at CVS test is LumiraDX which is on the list but check with the specific Minute Clinic before you go. Also on the list is Abbott ID Now (Rapid PCR) which you can get at both CVS (limited sites) and Walgreens. The antigen test turnaround is usually 20 mins and the ID Now which is a fast PCR is a few hours. Your results wil have the name of the test that was administered.
Good info, though I still can't really decide what to know until they actually define when the time goes from? first flight of itinerary or first direct flight to France?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flashware
LumiraDX is what I had at Boots today.

Interesting that the consulate was saying 24 or 48 hours for tests if coming from the UK, but the press release is very clear that it must be <24 hours only.
(3) Test PCR ou antigénique négatif < 24h pour le Royaume-Uni.

https://www.gouvernement.fr/sites/de...1221_3ep_0.pdf
24H from the UK is for unvaccinated pax. For vaccinated pax, 48H is OK.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by NickB
24H from the UK is for unvaccinated pax. For vaccinated pax, 48H is OK.
Good spot, only on the 2nd line. My French is very basic
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by eng3
Good info, though I still can't really decide what to know until they actually define when the time goes from? first flight of itinerary or first direct flight to France?
I would personally make multiple appointments at CVS/Walgreens and then cancel one or more appointments as more information is available. Abbott BinaxNow is marketed as Panbio in the EU and Panbio is on the list but I would not risk the proctored BinaxNow on the outbound. Imagine trying to explain to a check-in agent that it is the same test marketed under different names .
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
"... Fully vaccinated people with a French or EU health pass will not require a test."

It may not make medical sense, but is a part of the EU free movement agreements.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
It may not make medical sense, but is a part of the EU free movement agreements.
Given the UK NHS vaccination certificate is deemed to be part of the EU DCC scheme now, applying that logic means we should be able to enter without a test. But...... nope, we require a test as of today.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
Does is it say anything about transiting France?
Any update on transit passengers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.