France - Entry Requirements

Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Hmm it's not very clear whether passengers in transit for less than 24h and staying airside will need the test or not need the test. I'm not averse at all to getting tested but some clarity would be good as I am already booked to get an antigen in BUD on arrival (to comply with US 24h entry requirement).
Never mind, it's pretty clear on traveldoc that passengers in transit via the designated area (so E to F) are exempt from testing.

One less thing to worry about.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by poisson
Is this ban only from the UK? So if you fly from let's say Ukraine to France, you are in the clear?
Do these restrictions apply only to direct flights from the UK, or do they include anyone whose travel history includes the UK within the past x days (or alternatively just UK citizens)? Not seen the latter referred to on any information released so far today. Say, for example, flying to BCN and driving to Southern France.

Last edited by Nikko5; Dec 16, 2021 at 1:05 pm
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, MB Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by salut0
Can someone clarify what type of Covid test would meet the requirements for travel to France, back to the UK (if necessary) and also to the USA? I'm trying to find the cheapest one which will get quick results. I'll ideally need to get it done in London on a Saturday night or very very early on a Sunday morning. Would prefer a quick antigen rather than a PCR if I could do it...
France and UK can be a self administered home antigen test but needs a certificate.
US can be a self administered antigen test but needs to be supervised via video.
Of course a PCR would also work for all three countries.

If timings allow then one test could be used to allow entry/departure across multiple countries.
salut0 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
Quite surprising that the ban applies to those with booster(s) when the science on its effectiveness against the new deadly variant is very clear and the UK has delivered many more boosters than certain Member States of the EU which are able to travel freely to France.

I feel like there's been a U-Turn on vaccines granting us the right to travel freely which is very disappointing at this time of the year. People are coming together and heeding the call to boost and test in order to protect their families. This is ammunition for the far-right anti-vaxxers/boosters because the French are just not following the science that the boosters reduce transmission.

Thankfully this ban doesn't apply to me so our NYE plans to be in Paris can go ahead.
science is not clear and the study I've seen indicates boosters only effective against Omicron for about 3 months. Why did you call the new variant "deadly" when early indications are it's less severe than Delta, which was less severe than the first.

Originally Posted by hugolover
Quite surprising that the ban applies to those with booster(s) when the science on its effectiveness against the new deadly variant is very clear and the UK has delivered many more boosters than certain Member States of the EU which are able to travel freely to France.

I feel like there's been a U-Turn on vaccines granting us the right to travel freely which is very disappointing at this time of the year. People are coming together and heeding the call to boost and test in order to protect their families. This is ammunition for the far-right anti-vaxxers/boosters because the French are just not following the science that the boosters reduce transmission.

Thankfully this ban doesn't apply to me so our NYE plans to be in Paris can go ahead.
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
France and UK can be a self administered home antigen test but needs a certificate.
US can be a self administered antigen test but needs to be supervised via video.
Of course a PCR would also work for all three countries.

If timings allow then one test could be used to allow entry/departure across multiple countries.
can a US citizen use the Abbott emed test to enter France?
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Dec 17, 2021 at 1:30 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
Separate flights might be an issue with your departing airline. From their perspective, you have booked a ticket for France and they might expect to see the appropriate paperwork for entering France. You could argue otherwise but if they say no, you will be pretty much stuck. As to the next morning, I do not know whether the airside section of the airport remains open overnight. If it does not, then you would have to enter France when they close up and, therefore, have the relevant paperwork to do so.
You have given me a lot to think of there and I am glad you came up with that issue - I am not sure BA would be willing to let me fly with their ticket only going as far as CDG.
OK, is this pushing things too far? I could book a LON-CDG-XXX flight, then ditch the CDG-XXX leg and simply pick up my QR flight instead? There are some cheap enough options that it may just work.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by PAL62V
You have given me a lot to think of there and I am glad you came up with that issue - I am not sure BA would be willing to let me fly with their ticket only going as far as CDG.
OK, is this pushing things too far? I could book a LON-CDG-XXX flight, then ditch the CDG-XXX leg and simply pick up my QR flight instead? There are some cheap enough options that it may just work.
That would likely help with the possibility of being denied boarding in LON assuming you are able to enter XXX but doesn't address the overnight issue in CDG (if that is indeed an issue). Also to perhaps state the obvious you couldn't check any baggage in LON since it will go to XXX.
DaveS likes this.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Dec 16, 2021 at 2:10 pm
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
Originally Posted by DaveS
For anyone arriving from the UK.
So, a US citizen flying JFK-LHR-CDG (all one ticket) would fall under these new protocols?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I find it puzzling that when it comes to imperious circumstances allowing travel to the UK from France, the Interior ministry guidance (liste_des_motifs_imperieux_-_royaume-uni_-_16.12.2021.pdf (gouvernement.fr) mention "ressortissants etrangers" (which to me means foreign citizens) rather than "ressortissants ou residents etrangers" (foreign citizens or foreign residents).

I hope and am sure that I am being pedantic and that a French citizen resident in the UK would be considered to have a valid imperious reason to travel there, but I do think that the phrasing could have been clearer to state so. If someone watns to confirm I am indeed being insufferably pedantic, I'll be most grateful!!
NickB likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
Separate flights might be an issue with your departing airline. From their perspective, you have booked a ticket for France and they might expect to see the appropriate paperwork for entering France. You could argue otherwise but if they say no, you will be pretty much stuck. As to the next morning, I do not know whether the airside section of the airport remains open overnight. If it does not, then you would have to enter France when they close up and, therefore, have the relevant paperwork to do so.
I fully echo NickB's points here:

1) Separate tickets are an issue because AF will see PAL62V as flying to France, which he is not allowed to do so may well deny him boarding. Booking LHR-CDG-XXX might solve this though no guarantee that it will, and it is fraught with dangers, chief of which, the possibility that one of the two flights is cancelled and that the OP is offered a rerouting via elsewhere. Specifically, given the latest restrictions, I would imagine that there is a very, very strong probability that many LHR-CDG flights may be discontinued and if the OP is not travelling to Paris as final destination, may well be rerouted direct from LHR to their (fake) final destination instead;

2) Arriving late night on itinerary 1 to start itinerary 2 the next morning is an issue because the interior ministry's guidelines mentions transit "in international area" but 2A-2C closes at night so I cannot see an option for an international area transit here.

PAL62V, I know you also posted in the BA forum where I answered (and to be honest, I think your query is a lot more at home here) and I think that your only credible option is to contact QR to ask them about rerouting from the UK or you will be taking a major risk here I think.
NickB and 36902BRF like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mapboyPHL
So, a US citizen flying JFK-LHR-CDG (all one ticket) would fall under these new protocols?
This is what I was wondering too.....
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:46 pm

Do y'all think France will also impose an essential-travel-only restriction on the US in the coming weeks? I have a wedding in Paris on 12/27
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I fully echo NickB's points here:

1) Separate tickets are an issue because AF will see PAL62V as flying to France, which he is not allowed to do so may well deny him boarding. Booking LHR-CDG-XXX might solve this though no guarantee that it will, and it is fraught with dangers, chief of which, the possibility that one of the two flights is cancelled and that the OP is offered a rerouting via elsewhere. Specifically, given the latest restrictions, I would imagine that there is a very, very strong probability that many LHR-CDG flights may be discontinued and if the OP is not travelling to Paris as final destination, may well be rerouted direct from LHR to their (fake) final destination instead;

2) Arriving late night on itinerary 1 to start itinerary 2 the next morning is an issue because the interior ministry's guidelines mentions transit "in international area" but 2A-2C closes at night so I cannot see an option for an international area transit here.

PAL62V, I know you also posted in the BA forum where I answered (and to be honest, I think your query is a lot more at home here) and I think that your only credible option is to contact QR to ask them about rerouting from the UK or you will be taking a major risk here I think.

I think I am OK with (2), as I read that 2A/C is a 24hr operation, even if nothing is flying overnight. However your first point is one I never considered and I think is very valid. Glad you came up with it.

As for QR, I have spoken to them and they effectively want to reissue a ticket with current pricing to change the departyre point, and the price is crazy now.

I am going to have to seriously consider cancelling and rebooking something from LON, probably in Y as the J tickets are around 4500-5000 now and I am simply not going to fork that sort of money out.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by sirdus
Do y'all think France will also impose an essential-travel-only restriction on the US in the coming weeks? I have a wedding in Paris on 12/27
It's an impossible question to answer. The UK's situation is quite specific: the country is on France's door, with very significant traffic between the two countries, especially during the holiday season, and Omicron likely represents a majority of the huge number of new covid cases in the London area and will soon be dominant country-wide. Even though measures sound tough, in effect, they are intended to be less tough than towards Southern Africa despite the situation not being hugely different in terms of Omicron spread. So in effect, France is locking the door to try and slow down the progression of Omicron in France (to be clear, Omicron is already in France, but seemingly accounts for a smaller proportion of cases).

If it happens that Omicron represents a very high proportion of new cases in the US the US could potentially join the UK in terms of French restrictions, or if Omicron is as limited in France as what current official statistics have measured (which is very unlikely), the country could even generalise those measures more broadly. Conversely, if figures show that Omicron is in fact a lot more present amongst new infections in France already, they may well end the UK restrictions, in just the same way that the UK is now considering dropping red list restrictions since Omicron is now almost as present in the UK as it is in Southern Africa.

So if you are asking what the situation will be in 10 days from now, be it in France, in the US or elsewhere, I simply don't think anyone can make a sensible guess just yet, and your options are either to take the uncertainty - potentially till the last minute - or to cancel pre-emptively if it is certainty that you want.
NickB, LETTERBOY, 36902BRF and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
I am going to have to seriously consider cancelling...
When's the flight and on what change terms? Things are changing very quickly and you may come out of the other side before flying. For example, UK already binning the "red list" it created a couple of weeks ago (or less - I've stopped counting).
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:38 pm

I think I am OK with (2), as I read that 2A/C is a 24hr operation, even if nothing is flying overnight.
Are you sure that it is still correct? If it is part of what CDG officially confirmed to you then great. If not, I'd double check with them because up to date information is really hard to get by, and one of the only post-covid ones I could find from Autumn 2020 (Aroport Paris-Charles De Gaulle : Le guide complet 2020 (airpark-roissy.fr) suggests the following opening times:

Horaires d'ouverture de l'aroport Paris-Charles de Gaulle

Les horaires d'ouverture des terminaux de l'aroport de Charles de Gaulle sont les suivants :
  • Terminal 1 : 4h00 - 12h00
  • Terminal 2A : 3h30 - 12h30 - Terminal 2B (actuellement ferm pour rnovation) - Terminal 2C : 4h00 - 23h00 - Terminal 2D : 4h30 - 23h30 - Terminal 2E et 2F : 4h00 - 12h00 - Terminal 2G : 5h00 - 23h30
  • Terminal 3 : 4H30 - 23H30
Again, it may well be that things have improved since and that the terminals have restarted opening 24/24 (it used to be possible for people to stay airside overnight as long as they passed through security before the boarding time for the last flight pre-covid) but I'd recommend double-checking if that is your plan unless you already have.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.