Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: delta skymiles
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
U.S. aims to ramp up international tourism hit hard by COVID | Reuters

The comments by Raimondo at the end of the article re: the testing are potentially significant (and are frankly kind of shocking to me in any case). The way I read it, she's at her wit's end with the Covid cultists at the CDC, or there's a healthy debate in the administration and she thinks this will help push it over the edge. I think it's a good bet, though, that she didn't make these comments without senior folks in the administration knowing about them - if she did, she'd be basically asking to get fired.
Interesting indeed that a cabinet-level person is making this type of statement. Unfortunately, the White House has put itself in a pickle by deferring this decision to the CDC, knowing that the CDC is unlikely to move on this issue any time soon, if ever. In a twist of irony, a Trump appointed judge did the Biden Administration a favor by lifting the mask mandate. I'm fearful that something similar would need to happen with the testing requirement.
artemis, 84fiero and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 1:32 pm

U.S. aims to ramp up international tourism hit hard by COVID | Reuters

The comments by Raimondo at the end of the article re: the testing are potentially significant (and are frankly kind of shocking to me in any case). The way I read it, she's at her wit's end with the Covid cultists at the CDC, or there's a healthy debate in the administration and she thinks this will help push it over the edge. I think it's a good bet, though, that she didn't make these comments without senior folks in the administration knowing about them - if she did, she'd be basically asking to get fired.
My concern is that as long as the Whitehouse defers to the CDC and the CDC is following "The Science", the testing requirement is going to stick around a while.

The CDC is cautious, which is probably the correct stance for an agency like the CDC, but they should also not be setting policy either, they should advise and the Whitehouse should set policy.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:35 pm

I took my first-ever proctored test to return to the US. The proctor for the service i used, Azova, just watched me take the test, then the proctor left the video chat and after 15 minutes I submitted a photo of my test cartridge. It seems like it'd be criminally easy to fake a negative test. There's no identifying number on my cartridge. No way of knowing I didn't just run another test without swabbing (I assume that'd work). It's absurd.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by eerickson7
I took my first-ever proctored test to return to the US. The proctor for the service i used, Azova, just watched me take the test, then the proctor left the video chat and after 15 minutes I submitted a photo of my test cartridge. It seems like it'd be criminally easy to fake a negative test. There's no identifying number on my cartridge. No way of knowing I didn't just run another test without swabbing (I assume that'd work). It's absurd.
If you did a test without any swabbing the Control line probably wouldn't light up, so the test would be invalid. But you could certainly swab another person right after on a different test, for instance. There are a number of other ways to accomplish it if you think about it for a few minutes.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:28 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by eerickson7
Regardless if it is positive or negative, the results are "invalid" after 30 minutes and the viewing area will become off-white or the lines will fade or bleed, in my observation.

When I used an Abbot test proctored by eMed, I don't think they viewed the test and just trusted me to report the result.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by DCJoe1
If you did a test without any swabbing the Control line probably wouldn't light up, so the test would be invalid. But you could certainly swab another person right after on a different test, for instance. There are a number of other ways to accomplish it if you think about it for a few minutes.
The flowflex one you just drop 4 drops of liquid into the cartridge after swishing the swab in said liquid.

I just kind of assumed the test shows the presence of COVID only, not that plus the presence of human DNA or whatever it would be that would indicate that you actually swabbed something. That just seems a bit complex for a test that costs a few bucks. But, again, I have no specific knowledge.

Wasn't there a guy on here who swabbed his tray table and it came up negative? Not sure what test he used.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by susiesan
I've been talking with friends and family living in Europe about where they are going this summer on vacation. A number wanted to visit the US but will not due to the entry covid testing and risking coming up positive and not being able to board their flights and having to cancel their plans. They are going to the countries that are easiest to get into. They view the US as too much of a hassle to fly to and are going elsewhere.
The testing requirement isn’t working wonders to keep additional seats open for me on my very frequent flights from Europe to the US. My Europe-US flights this month and last are more packed to the brim than they have been in at least three years. Unfortunate that is too, as award space/pricing and even regular paid economy class pricing for my Schengen-US flights this summer is worse than it was three years ago for the same flights being booked around the same time.

I’m rather curious how it is that more seats don’t go out empty given Covid infections continue to take place and the test requirement is what it is for these US-bound flights of mine.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The testing requirement isn’t working wonders to keep additional seats open for me on my very frequent flights from Europe to the US. My Europe-US flights this month and last are more packed to the brim than they have been in at least three years. Unfortunate that is too, as award space/pricing and even regular paid economy class pricing for my Schengen-US flights this summer is worse than it was three years ago for the same flights being booked around the same time.

I’m rather curious how it is that more seats don’t go out empty given Covid infections continue to take place and the test requirement is what it is for these US-bound flights of mine.

Same experience. I am happy to see full planes but it has been challenging to find a seat on flights.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Do NOT rely on the cityhealth rapidreturn product. I was just in Dubai and attempted to use it and the website did not work. I tried on three different devices, over WIFI, over cellular, and using different VPN servers. The page would be stuck on loading. The support was also non existent. I was in their online chat for an hour, before the person helping me just disconnected. It's been days and no one has even responded to my email. The concierge at my hotel told me to go to the fairmont hotel for a test and it was 40 bucks for a 12 hr result, ended up going with that option.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The CDC has no incentive to remove the test requirement, for two reasons: (a) it helps somewhat to ensure safer flights and slow down the faster introduction of new variants, and (b) if it gets lifted, and then there is another surge in the fall, it may be harder to re-impose, so it stays, at least for now...That's my understanding.

People are not testing enough as it is, and this is a good opportunity to preserve some testing, especially as it is more likely for people to have been infected on a vacation, where they may take more risks than usual.

Also, the striking down of the masks mandate makes it less likely to lift the testing ban, as one safeguard has already been removed, and the testing is the last one that remains.

So yes, the CDC is about protecting public health, and they won't remove the one and only preventative measure that is left in place when the problem still exists.
StingWest and Smiley90 like this.

Last edited by nk15; Jun 7, 2022 at 11:07 am
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:59 am

This test requirement needs to go. I was recently in Mexico and had a test scheduled at 4pm the day before my flight. Well, I got there and the office closed early that day. Thankfully my flight the next day wasn't until 2pm so I could scramble the next morning to find a test.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
A couple of more articles on the testing requirement:

Travel Industry will get 'aggressive' to end pre-departure Covid testing: Travel Weekly

This says the industry will get "aggressive," but doesn't say how. In any case, I think that's a good sign. The rest of the article is unremarkable.

Call to end inbound international flight testing is correct, for all the wrong reasons | The Hill

This is an op-ed in The Hill. He makes an excellent case for why the testing requirement isn't doing much good. I don't know how much of the general public reads The Hill, but people on Capitol Hill and the White House certainly do.
artemis, Silver Fox and 84fiero like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
https://www.travelpulse.com/news/imp...e-hearing.html

This article says that there will be a Senate hearing today specifically on international travel. Having a hearing specifically on international travel is a big deal. If the industry can get enough Senators on their side, the administration will have no choice but to pay attention.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The testing requirement does some good, but it’s going to get harder and harder to get access to local testing outside of the US as the year progresses. At some point, the switch will turn off on the testing requirement just because it becomes such a burden in practical terms on even major trunk routes to the US that they will give it up just because of that if for no other reason this year.

. The Administration is already paying attention to the issue, so some House or Senate hearings won’t really make a difference in that regard.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:26 pm

A couple of more articles on the testing requirement:

Travel Industry will get 'aggressive' to end pre-departure Covid testing: Travel Weekly

This says the industry will get "aggressive," but doesn't say how. In any case, I think that's a good sign. The rest of the article is unremarkable.

Call to end inbound international flight testing is correct, for all the wrong reasons | The Hill

This is an op-ed in The Hill. He makes an excellent case for why the testing requirement isn't doing much good. I don't know how much of the general public reads The Hill, but people on Capitol Hill and the White House certainly do.
If the industry wants to get aggressive, what if they just stopped checking documents? They’re the ones enforcing it. Not CBP. I really wonder what would happen if all the major airlines got together and announced they will stop requiring a test to board flights to the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.