Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Old Dec 3, 21, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flights departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Old May 13, 22, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY View Post
Things like this, as well as recent reports of Fauci on a conference call complaining that people aren't taking Covid seriously anymore (too lazy to go and find it now, but you can probably find it via Google if you're interested), remind of a young kid being told to clean his room & him stomping his foot and screaming, "No no no no!!!!!"
I saw the thing about Fauci and I rolled my eyes, I try and give those working in Public Health some amount of leeway because it has got to be a difficult job.

With that said, I was talking with a neighbor of mine who is an Infectious Disease Doc and he was saying that the INTL testing requirement never really made much sense to him as the virus is here and even testing cannot stop someone who might become sick in the future from bringing it here (or any country).

Another neighbor recently traveled INTL and she said she was worried about testing positive even possibly due to a false positive, she mentioned her concern to the person at the hotel who was going to administer the test and apparently the man replied since I started working here over a year ago I have not see a positive yet with a wink.
Old May 13, 22, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Mariott Titanium UA Gold NEXUS
I am wondering if anyone has experience using the 90 day recovered from COVID approach specifically as opposed to getting an antigen test. I have a letter from my doctor advising I'm recovered and of course the positive PCR test result from earlier this month. I have to travel to the States on the 26th (well past the 10 or 11 days or whatever it is now), but I may as well avoid the hassle of a test if that sounds like it should be enough. The letter doesn't say "cleared to travel" in those words, it just says recovered with no symptoms. I test negative on Antigen tests anyway now, but no point in incurring the hassle or expense unnecessarily. How closely did the airlines check the letter?
Old May 13, 22, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Testing information

Slightly random question - Im taking my daughter on a surprise trip to the US soon - when doing the supervised covid fit to fly test do they ask your destination or is it it displayed anywhere on screen? (She currently thinks she is going to London).
Old May 13, 22, 12:38 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The administration keeps what is practical, such as testing on international return travel. Even small things help a little. Domestic travel cannot be regulated [mod edit] But even for domestic travel CDC is clear, do NOT travel if you are positive. There is no requirement for frequent tests, but if you do know it, or suspect it, self-test and avoid travel if positive. It is not rocket science. Masks would have helped on flights, but [mod edit] judges took them down, so that's that.

Last edited by l etoile; May 13, 22 at 1:01 pm Reason: Omni political comments
Old May 13, 22, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ruth4325 View Post
Slightly random question - Im taking my daughter on a surprise trip to the US soon - when doing the supervised covid fit to fly test do they ask your destination or is it it displayed anywhere on screen? (She currently thinks she is going to London).
No, it doesn't for BinaxNOW. You just choose reason for test "travel".
Ruth4325 likes this.
Old May 13, 22, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
The administration keeps what is practical, such as testing on international return travel. Even small things help a little. Domestic travel cannot be regulated because of [mod edit: those] who will take it down. But even for domestic travel CDC is clear, do NOT travel if you are positive. There is no requirement for frequent tests, but if you do know it, or suspect it, self-test and avoid travel if positive. It is not rocket science. Masks would have helped on flights, but the trumpanzee freedbumb judges took them down, so that's that.
[Moderator redaction of content off-topic for this Travel forum thread.]
With regards to the testing requirement, it maybe practical in that it is not difficult to obtain a test, but I am not sure that it is practical in preventing the spread of the virus within the USA. My neighbor who I referenced upthread is an Infectious Disease Doc has said a number of times now that in his opinion the testing requirement does not accomplish the goal of preventing the introduction of the virus nor its variants into the USA for many reasons, not the least of which the rapid tests supervised over the internet can be less sensitive and not catch a person who might be sick in the following days but not at that snapshot in time as an example.

He said short of preventing any INTL travel there is little one can do to stop a contagious virus, that is just the reality in his opinion.
Rare, Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 14, 22 at 10:33 am Reason: To edit re content off-topic for this thread and forum.
Old May 13, 22, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
The administration keeps what is practical, such as testing on international return travel.
That's the root of all of this problem. A test 24 hours before travel is NOT PRACTICAL l in a lot of the world. I have to book my flights differently to allow a special stop just for testing. I would complain a lot less if it went back to 72 or even 48 hours. But really, it's time to just drop it. The justification to change to 24 hours was based around "learning more about omicron"
Old May 13, 22, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
lol

We just went through this.

The only reason asymptomatic people test positive is because they're forced to be tested, unlike any other "illness" in human history.
What? People routinely test for HIV despite being asymptomatic, and it's made the spread MUCH more limited. It's a huge success. What nonsense blog did you read that one on? There are numerous other examples of diseases we routinely test for despite people being asymptomatic. Heck, some things we routinely TREAT people for despite being asymptomatic, just when they "might" have gotten exposed (incl, again, HIV or Rabies).

One thing about the pre-departure testing is that we probably got "lucky" that Omicron isn't more deadly. If we didn't have testing in place and a less transmissible but more deadly variant emerges, wouldn't you want someone positive to not be on the plane? Yeah hindsight is always 20/20 and if a more deadly variant doesn't emerge we're lucky, but that doesn't mean precaution was a terrible idea. Just because a risk DOESN'T materialize doesn't mean it didn't exist.

​​​​​
chrisny2 likes this.
Old May 13, 22, 1:31 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by kmersh View Post
He said short of preventing any INTL travel there is little one can do to stop a contagious virus, that is just the reality in his opinion.
Which is funny when Trump stopped international travel from the earliest Covid hotspots, these same people were screaming about freedom.
Old May 13, 22, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
Which is funny when Trump stopped international travel from the earliest Covid hotspots, these same people were screaming about freedom.
In fairness, that is a very political view. My neighbor meant all INTL, not just from certain countries.

Outright, no in and out, nothing which is impractical.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 13, 22, 2:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
What? People routinely test for HIV despite being asymptomatic, and it's made the spread MUCH more limited. It's a huge success. What nonsense blog did you read that one on? There are numerous other examples of diseases we routinely test for despite people being asymptomatic. Heck, some things we routinely TREAT people for despite being asymptomatic, just when they "might" have gotten exposed (incl, again, HIV or Rabies).
lol

The average American has likely been tested more times for Covid in a week than he has for HIV in his lifetime. Let's be serious here.

One thing about the pre-departure testing is that we probably got "lucky" that Omicron isn't more deadly. If we didn't have testing in place and a less transmissible but more deadly variant emerges, wouldn't you want someone positive to not be on the plane? Yeah hindsight is always 20/20 and if a more deadly variant doesn't emerge we're lucky, but that doesn't mean precaution was a terrible idea. Just because a risk DOESN'T materialize doesn't mean it didn't exist.​​​​​
We got lucky? How did Omicron travel 8,000 miles from South Africa to the U.S. in a matter of days despite pre-flight testing and both vax and mask mandates? Did someone ship it over here in vials?
Old May 13, 22, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground View Post
That's the root of all of this problem. A test 24 hours before travel is NOT PRACTICAL l in a lot of the world. I have to book my flights differently to allow a special stop just for testing. I would complain a lot less if it went back to 72 or even 48 hours. But really, it's time to just drop it. The justification to change to 24 hours was based around "learning more about omicron"
Moving to 48 hours is not unreasonable, especially given the difficulty obtaining tests in some countries. However, given all the tele-tests that are freely available, it should not be a big concern.

Originally Posted by TravelForum View Post
Hahaha - yea, no thanks to any of that baloney. I didn’t isolate when I got it in Dec 2020 and I sure hell wouldn’t isolate today or wear a mask that doesn’t stop any spread.

The fact that you still worship the politicized CDC is quite concerning. They lost all credibility about 20 months ago.
What is concerning, for society as a whole, is that part of the population lives in a conspiracy theory world, divorced from reality....
ExpatExp likes this.

Last edited by nk15; May 13, 22 at 2:15 pm
Old May 13, 22, 2:17 pm

What is concerning, for society as a whole, is that part of the population lives in a conspiracy theory world, divorced from reality....
Physician, heal thyself.

Today is Day 790 of "just two weeks to slow the spread."

Hate to break it to you, but one more month of masks on planes and a fourth jab aren't going to be the end of Covid.
Old May 13, 22, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by kmersh View Post

For me, most of the value of the return test is protecting the people on those international inbound flights, and somewhat less about importing cases and variants (although that also helps a little)... And it does not matter if it is inconsistent with domestic flights, as I said, every little thing helps.
tattikat2 and SJOGuy like this.
Old May 13, 22, 3:27 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Environmentally Friendly Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
After numerous deletions for rules violations, the thread has been reopened. Please stick to posting within the rules so these threads can stay open and helpful. If you see a problem post, please dont engage, but report it.

regards,

l etoile
forum mod
SFOTerry, nk15 and wooootles like this.

Last edited by l etoile; May 14, 22 at 6:59 pm

Search this Thread