Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2022, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by DCJoe1
No, this is their "stop asking this question, we will announce it when the policy changes" statement.
I am not in business nor politics, so I am a layperson when it comes to communications, but wouldn't it better to say, I/we have no information to share at this time, when and if there are any changes, I/we will make sure it is widely publicized?

[mod edit]

Originally Posted by vanillabean
My concern is not so much taking the test and going through the whole administrative process, but rather the potentially positive test result's requirement to isolate, which is unlikely to go away anytime soon. Or maybe that's what you meant?
Yes that is part of my concern, though I can deal with the positive result if it were to occur, I just do not want to have to worry about it. I got the vaccine and the first booster (I am slightly too young to be eligible for the 2nd), so getting very sick does not worry me, but it would be a major pain in the butt logistically if I did indeed test positive.

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
That's my massive concern/fear.
I get that totally and that is what is currently keeping my wife up at night, what if we test positive before coming home, she is not so worried about being sick, but the hassle is just not relaxing and makes the entire trip not worth it.

Judging by the CDC post upthread, I am inclined to cancel for my 3rd time and just go to somewhere in the States where I will not have to worry nor deal with the testing requirement.
Silver Fox, 84fiero and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 12, 2022 at 11:56 pm Reason: Redacted off-topic comments
Old May 12, 2022, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
If you test positive before return, and you don't worry about the actual health implications, you would only have to isolate for a few days until it clears. Just do a supervised tele-BinaxNOW test and then no local authorities would know about it, so you can just relax in a hotel of your choice until you test negative. Maybe an extra 5-7 days or less. So plan ahead for a bit of buffer, or if you were positive in the States you should have taken a few days off work anyway or WFH.
michael1023 likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 12, 2022 at 11:53 am Reason: OMNI comment redacted
Old May 12, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
this. I can't believe it either. Imagine how strong the airline lobby is. Didn't the UK airlines do this .....and overturn a rule?
There was a recent open letter from ~260 companies, organizations, etc,I linked a post about it from The Gate blog , in the other thread on testing:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34240426-post73.html
Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Smiley90
The alternative to that would be that you get COVID, don't know about it and then get on a plane and sit in very close proximity to others, unmasked for 6-12 hours. And as of right now, the US at least prefers a sick person not fly back unmasked and offloading the burden to the traveler.
Indeed. Thank God for the pre-flight testing, or else Omicron might have traveled some 8,000 miles from South Africa to the U.S. in a matter of days after being discovered. Thank God that didn't happen.
cruisr, snic, tai4de2 and 12 others like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by js1993
Indeed. Thank God for the pre-flight testing, or else Omicron might have traveled some 8,000 miles from South Africa to the U.S. in a matter of days after being discovered. Thank God that didn't happen.
Your concern is touching. I'm tempted to line up behind you while there's still room.
GUWonder, nk15 and DCJoe1 like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by js1993
I know, right?

It is so unbelievably stupid that you need a positive test for YVR-SEA which might be an hour long flight on a bad day, but no test for the 11 hour BOS-HNL. Oh, but if you drive from Vancouver to Seattle, no test needed either.

And no, I'm not advocating a test requirement for domestic flights or land border crossings. Just pointing out how inconsistent the rule is and that it has nothing to do with preventing the spread.
snic, friedablass, hurnik and 12 others like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 1:43 pm

Even more vague statements here:

Old May 12, 2022, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by t325
I know, right?

It is so unbelievably stupid that you need a positive test for YVR-SEA which might be an hour long flight on a bad day, but no test for the 11 hour BOS-HNL. Oh, but if you drive from Vancouver to Seattle, no test needed either.
And the bus ride is so much safer that no tests are required. (Reality: the resumption of a US$30 bus ride last November lowered the cost of an antigen test around Vancouver from C$135 to around C$80.)
Old May 12, 2022, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by kmersh
Admittedly, I do not understand why the CDC is doubling down, it is like they either are too afraid of their own shadow or see something that the rest of just do not see.

Either way, travel stress and I am seriously considering canceling my INTL trip because I do not want to have to deal with testing before returning home. Maybe that is their plan to scare enough folks from wanting to travel INTL.
Lots of doubling down and very political. I work at a US National Lab. At the end we were in 2 masks, which was a joke (I wear real respirators at work and understand filtration). Oh, and toasters and ovens were off-limits at work for 2 years even though fomite transmission was disproved early on. I made an international trip in January but I won't again until the pre-departure test is done away with.
Old May 12, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Admittedly, I do not understand why the CDC is doubling down, it is like they either are too afraid of their own shadow or see something that the rest of just do not see.
Things like this, as well as recent reports of Fauci on a conference call complaining that people aren't taking Covid seriously anymore (too lazy to go and find it now, but you can probably find it via Google if you're interested), remind of a young kid being told to clean his room & him stomping his foot and screaming, "No no no no!!!!!"

Last edited by LETTERBOY; May 12, 2022 at 5:44 pm Reason: typo
Old May 12, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
or see something that the rest of just do not see.
...and that an ever-increasing number of other countries do not see either - for vaccinated travelers at least - including most of Europe, our neighbors to the north, most of South America, even Australia. This site's map seems to be kept reasonably up to date IME...toggle the "vaccinated" to Yes and see a lot of dark green, indicating no pre-departure test.

https://www.gadventures.com/where-to..._options_close

A few more African countries have turned dark green in the past couple of weeks, too.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by 84fiero
...and that an ever-increasing number of other countries do not see either - for vaccinated travelers at least - including most of Europe, our neighbors to the north, most of South America, even Australia. This site's map seems to be kept reasonably up to date IME...toggle the "vaccinated" to Yes and see a lot of dark green, indicating no pre-departure test.

A few more African countries have turned dark green in the past couple of weeks, too.
Even New Zealand has plans to drop the test requirement if you're vaxxed, too. If New Zealand is dropping it, that tells you something.

Pre-departure tests will be gone by July 31. But why not now? | Stuff.co.nz
enviroian likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by 84fiero

But we can always come back to the same thing that it looks like the lunatics have taken over the asylum when you can cross by land and not test, but by air you have to. If that doesn't make CDC/govt/whomsoever look like a laughing stock I don't know what does. If I was being kind I might say "well it's not very consistent". But as for covid, It's just not a thing people even talk about or bother about much now apart from a few die-hards in most places in Europe now and people are definitely making holiday decisions on testing/masks/isolation. I'll not return to the US until they drop the testing.
LETTERBOY, TravelForum and js1993 like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP
How does the entry testing requirement work with longer stop-overs?

For example, if on June 1 around 10am I get an antigen test in Targu Mures (RO), then fly from Targu Mures to Budapest around 4pm before flying from Budapest>IST around 8pm (also on June 1), exit IST airport for a stop-over, and on June 2 around 6:30pm I fly from IST>NYC, am I good with the initial antigen test? I've read that it's 1 calendar day so I think I should be fine, but other sources say 24 hours, etc.
Having to get a second antigen test in IST would mess up the stop-over as I wanted to just relax and enjoy a half-day in IST, not run around getting covid tests.

If it matters BUD>IST>NYC>BUD is one itinerary while the initial flight to Bud is separate.
Old May 13, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by kmzandrew
How does the entry testing requirement work with longer stop-overs?

For example, if on June 1 around 10am I get an antigen test in Targu Mures (RO), then fly from Targu Mures to Budapest around 4pm before flying from Budapest>IST around 8pm (also on June 1), exit IST airport for a stop-over, and on June 2 around 6:30pm I fly from IST>NYC, am I good with the initial antigen test? I've read that it's 1 calendar day so I think I should be fine, but other sources say 24 hours, etc.
Having to get a second antigen test in IST would mess up the stop-over as I wanted to just relax and enjoy a half-day in IST, not run around getting covid tests.

If it matters BUD>IST>NYC>BUD is one itinerary while the initial flight to Bud is separate.
Any "source" saying 24 hours is not reliable. It is calendar day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.