Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flights departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Old May 6, 2022, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rampguy
I have to go to the UK (from the US) for 24 hours — can I simply get a covid test in the US pre-departure and use it for my US re-entry?

it kind of shows how stupid the rule is to begin with, because if I somehow get covid in the 24 hours it won’t even show up on an antigen test.

(and for what it’s worth, I’m vaccinated AND recovered from Covid in December, but that is too far out to have the “recovered from covid” clause apply — it’s 90 days)

Originally Posted by steveholt
If you're flying to Heathrow, they have testing in each terminal you can do on arrival or even in the hours before your flight.
+1, I was just at LHR last week for a 50 hour trip (so had to get tested to return). Ended up using the testing facility in T2 Arrivals (T2 Departures acted like they couldn't do rapid antigen but T2 Arrivals on the lower level can?).

In my case I ended up flying home a day early (meetings ended early and was able to do an SDC on UA and keep my J seat so a no brainer) but hadn't done the test yet. Got to the airport about 3 hours before my flight and just booked the next available slot and showed up an hour early and they were easily able to accommodate me (note you have to make an appointment, you can't just show up without an appointment).

Quick nasal swap and document verification and then I was free to wait wherever. Took about 30-35 minutes to process and be uploaded to the portal at which point I was able to just show it on my phone at the UA check-in desk and proceed immediately to departures.

For the OP, would just book and go get the swab done on your way out of Heathrow (no need to stick around for the results you can leave and they will be emailed) and then can just use those results on the way back for departure. Just make sure the timestamp on the swab at arrivals is within T-24 of the departure time back to the US

Originally Posted by fac383
Similarly holding off in the vain hope it would go away.
I've got plenty of free NHS tests and would test myself before heading to the airport but having to pay for an official test and fit it into my schedule and deal with extra paperwork is a pain.

We're doing 0945 LHR T3 - BUD on Tue 10th
then on Wed 11th doing 0720 BUD - LHR T3 (arr 0942) and 1250 LHR T5 - JFK

Am I right in thinking a 35 ExpressTest Lateral Flow on the T3 forecourt around 0700 on Tue 10th before heading to BUD will do the job for the US flight the following afternoon?

Has anyone used this site without prebooking? Slots from 0600 appear to be wide open.
35 ExpressTest Lateral Flow will suffice for a US flight. This is the test I took from T2 referenced above but the timestamp has to be within T-24 of your US flight (not when you start your journey on the itinerary but the US flight itself) so 0700 on Tuesday 10th won't qualify since you'll be outside that window for a 1250 LHR - JFK departure the next day.

As for the pre-booking deal, all the signage and the check-in person at T2 were adamant that you needed to be pre-booked and have the QR code for them to scan. That said I was able to get in earlier that my actual booking time which was helpful since I had changed flights last minute and showed up at the airport just 3 hours before departure.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
"Just make sure the timestamp on the swab at arrivals is within T-24 of the departure time back to the US".

Isn't it a test at any time the day before the flight to the US?
Old May 6, 2022, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
From the CDC site:
The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 1-day time frame instead of 24 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

The CDC site above also answers the question about overnight connecting flights, although I would be nervous about it...

Last edited by nk15; May 6, 2022 at 10:08 am
Old May 6, 2022, 10:58 am

its amazing how this thread was created on Dec 2nd, yet here we are 5 months later still debating this

in the first post "to assess the omicron variant"

isn't that like 5 variants ago?
BLV, QT31415, Silver Fox and 4 others like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DrGee
"Just make sure the timestamp on the swab at arrivals is within T-24 of the departure time back to the US".

Originally Posted by nk15
From the CDC site:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

The CDC site above also answers the question about overnight connecting flights, although I would be nervous about it...
Yes but I would be more conservative here -- the person who checks isn't looking at the CDC website so I would be more conservative here so you don't end up getting stuck due to a more conservative interpretation of the guidance.
nk15 likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 12:03 pm

I thought this was interesting. The Edmonton Oilers, rather than flying directly YEG to LAX for their playoff game, flew to YVR, bussed to BLI, then flew from there to LAX to avoid testing

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/oilers-t...ting-1.5891930

Just goes to show how dumb these rules are
Old May 6, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by t325
I thought this was interesting. The Edmonton Oilers, rather than flying directly YEG to LAX for their playoff game, flew to YVR, bussed to BLI, then flew from there to LAX to avoid testing

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/oilers-t...ting-1.5891930

Just goes to show how dumb these rules are
This is what all the major league baseball teams have been doing after playing at Toronto--crossing by bus at Buffalo then flying from there. Genius, and a show of how useless this continued testing is.
Old May 6, 2022, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by DrGee

yes, it is.

but I would like to see someone with a test time stamp of T-47h59m who manage to fly successfully each time without the rigmarole of questioning.

a conservative stance will make your life easier. but if T-24 cannot be done for whatever reason, it is not the end of the world.
Old May 6, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
In Playa del Carmen they had a nurse occupying a room each morning and you could make appointments. It cost $25, charged to the hotel room. I got hyatt points for it, which is really the key.
Was this the GH? Antigen or PCR?

Originally Posted by TommyD2
The free test kits sent out in the US (iHealth) offer a proctored test for $25 (doesn't include the test kit). They say they are CDC-compliant for return/flights to US.

Will be testing it out next week.

https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihe...d-test-service
Hey how did this work out?

Originally Posted by DrinkSlinger
It would be through here: https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihe...d-test-service
But it's showing "sold out" for the moment.

Yeah, still sold out for some reason. Not sure if they only have a limited number each day, and it's genuinely sold out after a certain time of day, or, if they're no longer offering it.
Old May 6, 2022, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Yeah, still sold out for some reason. Not sure if they only have a limited number each day, and it's genuinely sold out after a certain time of day, or, if they're no longer offering it.
It's been "sold out" around the clock for several days. It's most likely not being offered anymore.
Old May 6, 2022, 3:00 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
This is what all the major league baseball teams have been doing after playing at Toronto--crossing by bus at Buffalo then flying from there. Genius, and a show of how useless this continued testing is.
Here is what looks like the Oilers flight. Came from YEG and continues to LAX.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...722Z/CYVR/KBLI

I guess the airline crew could fly in with no test. Hopefully they could have left most of the hockey gear on the plane and just take overnight bags to the hotel.
kirkwoodj and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Was this the GH? Antigen or PCR?

Hey how did this work out?

The test worked out fine. I was able to book for same day--booked at about 3:30pm for a 7pm test. Testing took about 25 minutes, had my 'good to go' email/receipt about 10 minutes after that.

Still showing sold out. Too bad if they've ended it - easy and cheap.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
yes, it is.

but I would like to see someone with a test time stamp of T-47h59m who manage to fly successfully each time without the rigmarole of questioning.

a conservative stance will make your life easier. but if T-24 cannot be done for whatever reason, it is not the end of the world.
I have flown back several times with tests taken more than 24 hours prior to my flight to the USA and was never questioned. As long as the date was 1 calendar day prior we were good to go. Just my personal experience but as with many other things in life YMMV.

Also wanted to share an experience I had earlier this week flying back to the US with several family members. We were a total party of 10 and we used a mix of proctored tests: BinaxNOW, ihealth, and flowflex with Azova. We did not have access to a printer so I saved all the PDF test results to my phone and had them ready to show at check in. After I showed the guy the third result, I guess he got bored of waiting for each PDF to load and looking at them on my phone and he just asked me "so, where all the tests negative?". I answered that of course they were, otherwise we wouldn't be here. He asked me to show him 1 more test for a name he chose at random which I did and also asked me to confirm again that all the others were negative (because he could get into trouble of they weren't), which I did as well and we were good to go.

I am not going to say which airport or airline, but this was not a third world county (far from it) and a main stream commercial airline. I know this is not an indication of the usual expenses with showing proof of negative result, but it just showed me that as we already know the airlines are not really interested in enforcing this but they are being forced to do so.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:41 pm

i flew back from south america recently - not a mainstream destination. i took the test at T-16. test is taken at a local authorized laboratory.

i did not use the proctored method, for 3 reasons: 1) in-person test at local lab is 60% cheaper, 2) this is not a country many US travelers returned from and 3) i was not flying on a US carrier, who is likely to be more familiar with one of these tests.

at check-in, not too surprisingly, the agent told me my test results is not valid - yes, a local test result, from an authorized lab at T-16, printed in paper form and embossed, is not valid.

reason is because i was swabbed more than 24 hours prior to my arrival time to US.

clearly he was mistaken, but it took another 20 minutes before i was able to check in, after a supervisor overruled him

I can just anticipate more obstacles to overcome if he see words like Binax/iHealth/Flowflex, T-36 time stamp and UTC time zone

Originally Posted by friedablass
I have flown back several times with tests taken more than 24 hours prior to my flight to the USA and was never questioned. As long as the date was 1 calendar day prior we were good to go. Just my personal experience but as with many other things in life YMMV.
it is both country- and agent-dependent. if it is mainstream destination that sees a lot of US-bound travelers daily, there is less likelihood of things going sideways.

a person who gets tested at T-36 every time but only always returning from Canada/Mexico/UK etc is in a different situation from another who fly back from disparate countries across the world.

even a place like IST can't get it right consistently and there are so many TK flights to US everyday. so, this is definitely more of an agent-specific issue.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 8, 2022 at 1:40 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old May 7, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
it is both country- and agent-dependent. if it is mainstream destination that sees a lot of US-bound travelers daily, there is less likelihood of things going sideways.

a person who gets tested at T-36 every time but only always returning from Canada/Mexico/UK etc is in a different situation from another who fly back from disparate countries across the world.

even a place like IST can't get it right consistently and there are so many TK flights to US everyday. so, this is definitely more of an agent-specific issue.
I agree, and all the more reason to drop this pointless requirement or at least move it back to 3 days prior like it used to be. I know, not happening any time soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.