Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Coronavirus and travel

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 10, 22, 12:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: l etoile
Wiki Link
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flights departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...ica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 27, 22, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by michael1023 View Post
narrator: nothing was announced..
Yes, but both the new covid czar and Fauci said that the US is exiting the pandemic phase, and that a focus on case counts would no longer be the focus of public health officials. I get the feeling that these sorts of statements are laying the groundwork for removing things like the "test to enter" requirement. But who knows.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 27, 22, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DCJoe1 View Post
Yes, but both the new covid czar and Fauci said that the US is exiting the pandemic phase, and that a focus on case counts would no longer be the focus of public health officials. I get the feeling that these sorts of statements are laying the groundwork for removing things like the "test to enter" requirement. But who knows.
I think that's very telling. Fauci would never say these types of words/phrases before. I'm guessing it will be sooner or later especially with so many vaccinated US travelers taking to the skies internationally.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 27, 22, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / OWE, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
If they could scrap them at some point in the next 2.5 weeks that'd be grand....
Old Apr 27, 22, 11:32 am

Programs: Would quite like the freedom to fly and regain some status, please
Originally Posted by drwook View Post
If they could scrap them at some point in the next 2.5 weeks that'd be grand....
Ideally before next Wednesday
Old Apr 29, 22, 6:02 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, BA nobody (blue)
Has anyone travelling UK-US used Qured recently ?

I booked a test on Wednesday (27 April) for travel next Friday (6 May), and have not heard anything about a delivery as of today (Friday). On their usual performance I'd have received it by now, or certainly had an email or text saying it had been dispatched. And there's no response to my email follow-up.
Old Apr 29, 22, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle View Post
Ideally before next Wednesday
If they could do away with it by May 29th, that would be swell.
Old Apr 29, 22, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tjcxx View Post
Has anyone travelling UK-US used Qured recently ?

I booked a test on Wednesday (27 April) for travel next Friday (6 May), and have not heard anything about a delivery as of today (Friday). On their usual performance I'd have received it by now, or certainly had an email or text saying it had been dispatched. And there's no response to my email follow-up.
I did in March. I had no problem scheduling an appointment.
Old Apr 30, 22, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Mhyduchak View Post
This is not true. You can use an antigen test as long as its proctored. This kit includes the test and the eMED telehealth service where a doc watches and certifies you.
Did Emed for the first time last Monday. Super easy and worked with Verifly. I am virtually certain the "proctors" are not MDs. We talked with 4 during our 2 tests. If you "sling the lingo" a bit, you can tell who went to medical or nursing school and who didn't. I think its more likely a calling center somewhere not in the US. The boxes were in my rollaboard and got crushed a little. I used the most beat up box, the proctor eyeballed it then told me it was ok to use. So a little wear and tear on the outside shouldn't make it unusable, Just don't open it.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 30, 22, 7:19 am

Flow Flex

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
there was no option to ship to USA on the drop down. Only UK was available.

This leads me to the question: Is there any *single* anti gen proctored tests for sale in the US that mail to your home?
Are you in the US? We purchased 10 FlowFlex BEFORE we left the US, to have with us in our nomad travels. They can be proctored for 20$ each. So, we are in Buenos Aires right now. We will make a choice, find a testing place nearby, OR use one of our FlowFlex when we need to get back to the US. $ and ease matter. So, if we can easily get tested here, cheaper than the $7.99 test+20$ proctoring, we will do that.

Also, just knowing if for some reason we end up someplace where testing is harder to find or $$$, we have our own supply with us. When we hopped over to Montevideo, we tested here, down the street for entry into Uruguay.

They are available at Target, Publix, some CVS and Walgreens, or thru Azova web-site.
Old May 1, 22, 10:04 am
Suspended

Well I bit my own bullet and bought two qured video proctored tests. One for the UK and one for Mexico. One sidenote though as I did attempt to schedule the appointment for June 12 and June 28 but their calendar doesn't allow me to choose past May 31st. IT glitch or only 30 days out allowed to schedule the video call?

disregard.

I contacted Qured and they said you can only schedule 30 days out.

Last edited by enviroian; May 2, 22 at 9:38 am
Old May 1, 22, 4:28 pm

I tested positive on a home kit. I still have some of the USPS home kits, does anyone know if I can use the result from the proctored service, plus a doctor’s letter of recovery, for entry into the US? I’ll eat the $25 to not have to worry about it when I travel outside hte US next month

Edit: Stupid me, realized I could go to urgent care 2 minutes from my house and get an “official” test, probably better than taking my chances with the iHealth proctored test. Plus it’s free.

Last edited by t325; May 1, 22 at 4:43 pm
Old May 1, 22, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Still no updates on the testing requirement, right?

I'm just concerned that if I wait until too close to departure to order there may be a backlog of requests and I won't get the test in time.....
LETTERBOY and florens like this.
Old May 1, 22, 7:38 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I found a testing site in ZURICH, SWITZERLND that does testing for FREE. Why should I pay if I can get it for free.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 1, 22, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
I found a testing site in ZURICH, SWITZERLND that does testing for FREE. Why should I pay if I can get it for free.
Can you provide the location details please? This could come in handy for me.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 2, 22, 1:16 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by houstr8male View Post
Can you provide the location details please? This could come in handy for me.
At Oerlikon station (on the main line between ZRH Airport and ZRH Hauptbanhof) just off platform 8 on Max-Frisch-Platz 25A (it's a van).
This testing location is part of corona-testing.ch which has other locations in and around Zurich.
You get a certificate, but if you want your passport linked to it the fee is 10 SFr extra--Delta doesn't require a PP link.
PS: I just tried a GOOGLE search "free covid test Zurich" and didn't find the site--BUT "covid test zurich oerlikon max-frisch-platz" did.
PS(PS): I had an appointment, but in the 10 minutes between testing and getting the results I was the only person at their "doorstep"

Search this Thread