Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
1 day. Full info on CDC site:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
districtRich, feysul and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Decca
I'm booked GLA-LHR on 19th December at 1305, overnighting at LHR and flying on to SFO at 1045 (all on one ticket) on the 20th and think I would therefore test on the 18th as my layover is less than 24 hours. However, I then looked at the CDC site which says:

"Please note, if you planned an itinerary incorporating one or more overnight stays en route to the US, you will need to make sure your test is not expired before your flight that will enter the US. You do not need to be retested if the itinerary requires an overnight connection because of limitations in flight availability".

What's the timeframe for a test not having expired? That's not made clear as far as I can see and I'm getting concerned.

Thanks.
it is not a good idea to do long layover in covid era.

and what the above statement means is that if you transit at LHR in a single ticket , it is expected that you take the earliest possible flight out to the US destination city. but if you choose to take the second flight out to that same US gateway, then your covid test timing should be counted from the flight that enters the US, not from the first flight you took in that single itinerary

there is no time restriction because you cant imposed one. there are thousands of possible flight routings out there. but it is clear that the moment the single itinerary has an overnight stay, it breaks the itinerary and resets the covid test timing. similar to what I have alluded to in my earlier post. it is even more pertinent these days to choose your flight routings wisely
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Thank you!
84fiero and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:15 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I am in the process of deleting off-topic and political posts. This thread should be a practical one that helps people to know what they need to do to meet the new restrictions. If you wish to debate the new rules, we have Omni for that.

l etoile
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Once again - what about land crossings?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 12:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by invisible
No changes have been reported.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This testing requirement is not applicable to domestic flights nor to surface crossings -- it's directed at international air travel to the US .
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Well if it helps anyone, I just took the proctored Qured fit to fly antigen test, timer started at 11:11 on the test capsule, medical certificate (negative) by 12:10.
Thank you! How long did it take to get a proctor online? Was there a wait?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by seawolf
You may want to reach out to the airline as they are responsible for enforcing CDC order.
Yep, this is the way I would go since they would be the one denying or allowing you to board.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by seawolf
No changes have been reported.
So you can do crossing by land without any vaccination or testing proof, correct?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Please be aware that although the rule may be one calendar day, not 24 hours, there is always the chance that a power-tripping airline check in staff member will claim that "one day" means 24 hours and will deny you boarding if your test was taken more than 24 hours before your flight.
GUWonder, SamirD and perkerkeem like this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So you can do crossing by land without any vaccination or testing proof, correct?
That's a possible option for some to get back into the US if unable to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure to the US.
SamirD likes this.

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Does anyone know if JetBlue accepts the BinaxNow home test with telehealth proctoring?

I note that the JetBlue website says US citizens and LPRs must have a COVID test within a day AND be vaccinated. That's totally wrong, right?

https://www.jetblue.com/covid-19-info-hub

"Effective Dec 6 2021, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has issued updated requirements for air travel into the U.S.

All U.S. Citizens, U.S. Nationals, Lawful Permanent Residents, and Customers Travelling to the U.S. on an Immigrant Visa who are 18 years or older must provide A) proof of full vaccination with an approved vaccine , and B) a negative PCR or antigen viral test taken no more than 1 calendar day before departure, or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (which includes a positive COVID test taken within 90 days prior to departure and a letter from a healthcare provider or a public health official that states the customer is cleared to travel).

Non-U.S. Citizens Travelling on Nonimmigrant Visas who are 18 years or older are required to be fully vaccinated, unless the traveler meets one of the exceptions . These travelers must also provide a negative PCR or antigen viral test taken no more than 1 calendar day before departure or documentation of recovery from COVID-19. Unvaccinated travelers who meet one of the exceptions must provide A) proof of the exception, and B) proof of a negative PCR or antigen viral test taken no more than 1 calendar day before departure, or documentation of recovery from COVID-19, and attest that they will take another test within 3-5 days post-arrival in addition to following self-quarantine requirements ."
SamirD likes this.

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Please be aware that although the rule may be one calendar day, not 24 hours, there is always the chance that a power-tripping airline check in staff member will claim that "one day" means 24 hours and will deny you boarding if your test was taken more than 24 hours before your flight.
The rule explicitly covers that:

"The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 1-day time frame instead of 24 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

"For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019....html#aircraft

No guarantee they'll care, but this should help.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by tr3k
I checked with the free COVID test "white tent" (outside CPH P15) - they do have antigen tests, but told me the result may take up to 1 hr. Plan accordingly.

There is also a commercial provider at the airport, that may be a bit faster (but why pay when there is a free alternative)
Thank you for the info! My flight isn't until the afternoon, so arriving early enough to wait an hour for results will be just fine. I wish more countries were so well organized 🙂
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.