Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Smiley90
For flights TO the US?
Yes this has happened on Avianca and Swiss for me.
LETTERBOY and washeelers747 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Brandinho1
Well, this alone is enough to get my business.
kirkwoodj, 84fiero and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
good. bet airlines' check-in agents are tired of doing dirty works to keep up with CDC's onerous requirements. I can't remember where but CDC apparently are discussing about this policy. Hopefully they decide to follow some allied nations' abandonment on testing requirements.
LETTERBOY, VCURamFan and Howmuch like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
Are you are going to risk being denied boarding in a foreign country because one person reported online that they did not get checked for test results for one flight?
chrisny2 and Smiley90 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by downinit
Are you are going to risk being denied boarding in a foreign country because one person reported online that they did not get checked for test results for one flight?
Ah, at this point, all things being equal, I’d prefer a carrier who at least appears less compliant over the ones brown nosing the CDC on cruise control. Of course, not suggesting what you or anyone else should do.
LETTERBOY, ExpatExp and VCURamFan like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
A related data point: a friend traveled from Finland to the USA at the end of March (2022) and reports that AY did not aak for the covid test results. When my friend asked about it, the checkin agent said something along the lines of "well we just kind of trust you".

Last edited by tai4de2; Apr 13, 2022 at 10:11 am Reason: Change April to March
Old Apr 12, 2022, 10:44 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by washeelers747
I can't remember where but CDC apparently are discussing about this policy.
I read an article a few days ago that said the same thing, but the article gave no source for the statement, or any other details.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 6:28 am

48 hours to go for an announcement on masks/testing? i doubt anything on the weekend or Good Friday (but still possible)
Old Apr 13, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by michael1023
48 hours to go for an announcement on masks/testing? i doubt anything on the weekend or Good Friday (but still possible)
With Walensky being the final call I’m not holding my breath. But it would be a hilarious …to the cities that have started to bring back restrictions if travel ones did actually get dropped.

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 13, 2022 at 9:35 am Reason: Veiled obscenity removed
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
With Good Friday and Easter, I'd think a Thursday afternoon announcement would be in the works if it gets extended - to try to keep it out of the news cycle (not likely). The closer it gets though to the 18th, one has to wonder (hope) if it doesn't quietly go away with no announcement.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: DL PM
The mandate that is due to expire is only on masks, IIRC.
Testing is here to stay, unfortunately, since that has no expiry date, unless they actively repeal it.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wooootles
The mandate that is due to expire is only on masks, IIRC.
Testing is here to stay, unfortunately, since that has no expiry date, unless they actively repeal it.
True but if masks expire they would have a very hard time justifying keeping testing so I would think that would go to. Maybe not immediately but very soon after. All speculation but we’ll see by the end of the week.
LETTERBOY and michael1023 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:20 am

https://abc7ny.com/travel/cdc-to-ext...urce/11744450/

another extension

oh happy day
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:31 am

Guess the testing requirement is extended too.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 13, 2022 at 10:21 am Reason: Veiled obscenity removed
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:33 am

Absolutely infuriating to the nth degree. I want to throw my computer at the wall. There was absolutely no rational reason to extend it last month, now they can't quit it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.